DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

"Australianos" just refers to the 3v3 aspect, though that was definitely the type of match where the current rules became popular. (And I'm not sure how that came to mean 3 instead of 2 elsewhere.) They still follow the same sort of rules in 2v2 (parajes) and 4v4 (atomicos).

• 2 weeks later...

Did you not hear the sound when the chair hit him? I'm pretty sure it made contact considering when Pentagon Jr. dragged him off the ground he had a giant cut on his head bleeding all over the place.:)

• 2 weeks later...

The match itself was a little frustrating. They were building to something a lot of fun but then everything just sort of petered out in Niebla comedy spots, which are fine in the right place (see: most matches actually) but here felt really disjointed with the primera, where you had Sombra biting Niebla's face and what not. There wasn't really a comeback to the beatdown in the beginning (which in and of itself had a way more back and forth finish than you'd expect in a match like this) as they just came back from break with Casas' team having the advantage. Then Niebla got payback by biting Sombra on the ass. I guess they have to pace this a bit since we'll probably see six more or these matches before the hair match. Ah well.

I was shocked they aired the intro at all. Their TV editing is just atrocious & they try to squeeze 3 matches in 42 minutes for inexplicable reasons so I figured it had no chance.

Sombra/Rush make great rudos/tweeners. La Mascara is fine... clearly just along for the ride. I just wish CMLL had actual over tecnicos who could oppose them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty new to lucha libre -- just started watching shows on DirecTV's Spanish-language channels a couple of months ago -- so this forum has been great as far as getting familiar with the top names and best matches to find online.

I was wondering about Manik and Tigre Uno in TNA. Do either of them have a CMLL or AAA background? If so, what names did they wrestle under in Mexico and which matches of theirs should I seek out?

I'm pretty new to lucha libre -- just started watching shows on DirecTV's Spanish-language channels a couple of months ago -- so this forum has been great as far as getting familiar with the top names and best matches to find online.

I was wondering about Manik and Tigre Uno in TNA. Do either of them have a CMLL or AAA background? If so, what names did they wrestle under in Mexico and which matches of theirs should I seek out?

Tigre Uno was Extreme Tiger in AAA and DTU. Lots of fluorescent light bulbs broken in his matches. Manik is TJ Perkins, who has wrestled all over the world under all sorts of names. He was Puma some places, maybe even in Mexico. He was one of the Havana Brothers in CMLL, I think. He was in Lucha Libre USA, but I forget his name there.

Manik was Sydistiko in LLUSA (first season) and showed up on one of the Perros del Mal tapings. The Havana Brothers run was 2003 summer CMLL - I can't remember right now, but I believe he got hurt at the end of the run and that's when Ricky Reyes (who was hurt himself to start) replaced him. 

Extreme Tiger had a brief run in AAA in 2006, where he tried to do a lot of acrobatic spots and frequently failed. He was brought back in 2007, and grew slightly more consistent over time while being slotted in AAA's cruiserweight/tag team/hardcore wrestling midcard purgatory. He left in late 2012 specifically to try and break into the US (with help from Shiima Xion among others) and will still work occasional Mexican indy dates when TNA isn't using him.

There were no good Dos Caras Jr. matches in Mexico and he works differently/better as Alberto Dos Rios. He worked as a face most of the time and had a lot of OK matches. Maybe one of his matches with Ultimo Guerrero were his best -

. We (or just me) were hoping it's finally click with him but it never really did while he was in CMLL

Newbie question about masks: In Mexico, does anyone go back under a mask after they've lost it? Or is it a case where once it's gone, it's gone for good?

I ask because even before I took an interest in lucha, I thought it was weird that Rey Mysterio Jr. went from masked to unmasked (and back again, I believe) in WCW, and then in WWE when he was under the mask they acted like it'd be this life-ending catastrophe if he were unmasked, even though fans knew what he looked like from his WCW run. I could see where in America it's not taken as seriously and may simply be a case of going from one company to another signaling a fresh start, but with guys like Rey and Psychosis who've been unmasked in America, if they went back to Mexico to work some shows would they do so with the mask or not?

Newbie question about masks: In Mexico, does anyone go back under a mask after they've lost it? Or is it a case where once it's gone, it's gone for good?

I ask because even before I took an interest in lucha, I thought it was weird that Rey Mysterio Jr. went from masked to unmasked (and back again, I believe) in WCW, and then in WWE when he was under the mask they acted like it'd be this life-ending catastrophe if he were unmasked, even though fans knew what he looked like from his WCW run. I could see where in America it's not taken as seriously and may simply be a case of going from one company to another signaling a fresh start, but with guys like Rey and Psychosis who've been unmasked in America, if they went back to Mexico to work some shows would they do so with the mask or not?

There used to be strict commision rules about this which have faded over time. The "rule" used to be you had to wait 5 years to re-mask. Any time you ask Silver King why he wears a mask these days that's the answer he gives as he lost a mask match to Santo in 1988 (In reality he's self-conscious about his hairline). There are a lot of veteran luchadors who have lost their mask but keep wrestling with it - Pantera & Super Astro are the main examples. In Pantera's case he was unhappy with the payout he got from CMLL & in Super Astro's case he was mad the promoter ripped him off.

I guess the bottom line is if you wait a bit and gradually start wearing your mask for "special occasions" (legends shows/benefit shows) fans will start to accept it and the commision won't give you a hard time unless you work for AAA when they run in Mexico City. But the reality is once you've lost the mask - the mask loses it's value. None of the guys I mentioned can ever do another mask match because nobody will care.

Rey Jr. might be the one guy who can actually return masked and lose it again because he never really wrestled unmasked in Mexico aside from the very short 2 month CMLL run and some Tijuana shows while he waited for his WWE deal. There are a whole new generation of Rey fans who have no idea he ever worked unmasked since they became fans during the WWE boom in Mexico and WWE has never mentioned Rey's time unmasked in WCW.

Is it more frequent for masked wrestlers with floundering gimmicks to get repackaged with new masked gimmicks than it is for unmasked wrestlers to remask under a new gimmick? How often does the latter happen in smaller lucha feds such as IWRG?

Also, with the announced Oro Jr/Metalico mask vs mask match upcoming, is Metalico more likely to be repackaged or wrestle unmasked? Even though I think bringing back the Oro gimmick is dumb given the tragic nature of Oro's death, I don't see Oro Jr. losing his mask. 

It's more frequent unmasked guys are given masks. Floundering guys are usually left to flounder for decades at a time. Guys are more likely to get a new gimmick mask when they're doing well enough that the promotion wants to give them a new chance but believe the old gimmick has already typecast them at a certain level or if it doesn't fit the new role they have for them.

The first couple IWRG matches are generally trainee matches. Should they actually come up with an idea for them, IWRG may have them ditch their original gimmick with one they've created to give them a new start. There's also a fair bit of cynicism with veterans being given gimmicks solely so they can wrestle with them for a few months and lose them to a regular guy.

Metalico's going to be wrestling unmasked, for however longer he's wrestling. It's a typical CMLL young versus old feud, which nearly always ends with the old losing and frequently with the old leaving CMLL soon after. I think Metalico may be sticking around, but CMLL's been steadily dropping the older vets around his position in the card - the Rayo Tapatios and Tigre Blanco have gone thru the same story.

I literally cannot say enough great things about the job Negro Casas did putting over Rush at Juicio Final. Casas has done a lot of selfish things throughout his career to keep young guys down but he's clearly at the point where he knows his time is up and he knows Rush is the future. He took a severe beating (his mouth - yikes!) and looked like a complete washed up old man which only made the story perfect and established Rush as a true unbeatable star. Not a ***** match in the traditional sense but easily a ***** match to me when it comes to doing the right thing and finishing up a long story involving the young punk vs the fan favorite veteran.

If only guys like Canek, Wagner, Fuerza Guerrera, Octagon, etc. would realize their time is done perhaps they could offer this sort of effort once a year to create new stars and make the business better for everyone.

Can someone please point me in the direction of the site to order TripleMania?  I googled and didn't get anything good.  I remember going to the site a couple weeks ago but I can't remember what it was.  Please tell me this PPV is on earlier than 7 Eastern, as well.