DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

Basketball brings the most personality out in players of the major team sports.  Baseball players spend too much time not in the game, football they are masked, and hockey just isn't that popular, has the limited ice time thing, moves at a pace that doesn't allow as much personality to show, and has a culture that is less based on showing off.

Also, fuck Christian Laettner.

Oh, and the guests on this episode rocked. Ariel Helwani, Pete Rosenberg, Ric Flair, and Ken Jeong. Whodathunkit?

Ariel rocking Malcolm X gear as a kid was something.

Wow I remember all of the gay rumors with Brian Davis (and boy was this guy a trip on this show) but damn the chants at the LSU game was really rough.  Can you imagine if that happened now the hell reigned down on the college

Why has no one talked about Brian Davis having the nerve to act like a bad ass wearing whatever the hell he was wearing? If he wanted to quell the gay rumors, he needs to re-evaluate the stuff in his closet.

Oh, and the guests on this episode rocked. Ariel Helwani, Pete Rosenberg, Ric Flair, and Ken Jeong. Whodathunkit? 

I have no idea who Ariel Helwani and Pete Rosenberg are and I found them very annoying, on par with Steve Lombardi in WWE docs. I found this one sorta average, the way it bounced around annoyed me and it kinda dragged at the end. I found it funny that they sorta painted Michigan as the antithesis of Duke, most of the Fab Five and Duke players came from similar backgrounds and Michigan has a lot of rich east coast students who couldn't get into a Ivy League school just like Duke.

I never really hated Duke until after the Laettner era, before that it always depended who they played, I always pulled for them against the likes of Michigan, Kentucky, UConn, Kansas, UCLA and North Carolina and was against them when they played the likes of UNLV, Arkansas and Seton Hall.

Ever notice how Basketball seems to bring out the most hate out of people toward athletes? Cause I wanted to beat the shit out Rondo for a while.

Basketball's the only American sport where players don't wear a mask of some sort. Hence the visceral reactions.

I have no idea who Ariel Helwani and Pete Rosenberg are and I found them very annoying, on par with Steve Lombardi in WWE doc

HOW CAN YOU HATE THE HOWARD COSELL OF MMA?

punkurn.jpg

Bobby Hurley somehow being represented as a bit of a street kid is a bit of a stretch. Sure, he lived in pre-gentrification Jersey City. But he grew up in a real middle-class area of the city. And he's NJ basketball royalty. St. Anthony's is far from a prep school. But the Hurley family runs New Jersey basketball and has for eons. That is such an advantage in terms of things like getting to go to any basketball camp you could ever dream of, having your high school get games around the country, etc.

The Fab Five is also sort of full-of-it. Jalen's from the Detroit public school system. Juwan's from the South Side of Chicago. But C-Web went to a country day school.

And yes, Michigan and Duke are essentially the same student body. Two of my wealthier classmates from high school in Jersey had a real interesting thing happen to them. One was OBSESSED with getting into Duke and the other was the same for Michigan. The kid who wanted Duke got denied and went to Michigan. The kid who wanted Michigan was denied and ended up going to Duke.

I have no idea who Ariel Helwani and Pete Rosenberg are and I found them very annoying, on par with Steve Lombardi in WWE docs. I found this one sorta average, the way it bounced around annoyed me and it kinda dragged at the end. I found it funny that they sorta painted Michigan as the antithesis of Duke, most of the Fab Five and Duke players came from similar backgrounds and Michigan has a lot of rich east coast students who couldn't get into a Ivy League school just like Duke.

I never really hated Duke until after the Laettner era, before that it always depended who they played, I always pulled for them against the likes of Michigan, Kentucky, UConn, Kansas, UCLA and North Carolina and was against them when they played the likes of UNLV, Arkansas and Seton Hall.

Ariel is a/the top MMA 'reporter' and Rosenberg is a DJ/Podcaster who co-authored a book about hating Duke.

And isn't that the whole point of the documentary that people hate Duke/Duke players even while there back rounds are the same.

For whatever reason, at IU, the out of staters hated Michigan a lot more than the in staters who hated Ohio State. (purdue notwithstanding of course)

Prob same reason everyone hated Duke: the personification of the snobby jocks from Revenge Nerds and Animal House. niedermeyer would have been perfect Coach K floor slapper.

Fuck Christian Laettner.

Awww he had to clean up after the horses in the summertime.  Motherfucker if you have horses and you aren't a god damned farmer you aren't working class or blue collar. 

If you have two boys why would you name one Chris and one Christian?  Your whole fucking family is stupid and horrible, that's why.

Did Brian Davis realize that his sharf was trying to eat his head?  Every time they cut back to him it was riding higher.

Ric Flair!  Ben Chang!  My hero of several years Grant Hill!

I enjoyed this one.

The Fab Five is also sort of full-of-it. Jalen's from the Detroit public school system. Juwan's from the South Side of Chicago. But C-Web went to a country day school.

Laettner and Webber are the two with the most similar backgrounds--their mothers were teachers, their fathers were working-class guys, they attended country day/prep-type schools.  Neither was rich, but they weren't worrying about their electricity getting cut off either.

Truthfully, the only rich/upper class kid in the Duke-Michigan group back in the early 1990s was Grant Hill.

Best part of the Laettner Hate deconstruction, and probably the part that best proved the movie's whole point, was the breakdown of the stomping incident, with Laettner explaining it stemmed from frontier justice* but still drawing the loudest visceral reaction from the talking head panel.

*And in a weird way to hear Laettner explain it, it's almost admirable to know he didn't need anyone to act as Marty McSorely or Charles Oakley on his behalf. Almost.

Guest The Magnificent 7

For whatever reason, at IU, the out of staters hated Michigan a lot more than the in staters who hated Ohio State. (purdue notwithstanding of course)

Prob same reason everyone hated Duke: the personification of the snobby jocks from Revenge Nerds and Animal House. niedermeyer would have been perfect Coach K floor slapper.

Nope.  In-state IU fans would have and do hate Michigan basketball more than OSU.  Those Fab 5 teams played basketball "the wrong way", and IU fans were very happy when Knight's teams spanked the Fab 5.  Even now, Michigan (under Beilein) seems to do more "poaching" of Indiana kids and that somewhat irks many in-state IU fans (McGary, Albrecht, and Robinson III were all Indiana kids). 

The Ohio St. hate I think mainly came Lawrence Funderburke and that whole ordeal. 

Illinois I hated more than either of those two.  When they are good they and their fans are insufferable. 

When i was there, no one i knew cared at all about Illinois, be it in football, basketball or in general. They might as well have been Iowa or Minnesota.

But had i had friends who came from the western partof the state that bumpered Illinois, they prob would have hated Lou Do and the like.

I watched Muhammad and Larry the other night. Sad stuff. Larry is so underrated too.

Larry Holmes' greatest crime against humanity was he wasn't Ali. Even in retirement he's been efficient but nondescript: Still married to wife #1, financially stable, and lives a quiet existence.

• Like 1

Cross-posting from the Documentary movie thread since it applies here as well:

After months and months of anticipation followed by a final one week delay and venue change, this past Saturday I finally got to see:

Red Army - Red Army tells the story of Soviet hockey greatness through the eyes of retired superstar Slava Fetisov. Fetisov had a remarkable career playing for Red Army before eventually being allowed to travel to North America to play in the NHL. He's now Minister of Sport for Russia. The movie features a number of great interviews from Soviet players and officials, including a former KGB guy. Fetisov generally comes off well here except at the very beginning where he's pretty rudely ignoring the director and flips him off. Overall, the movie tells its story well but... there's really now around the fact that much of the impact of Red Army has been blunted by ESPN's release of their 30 For 30: Of Miracles and Men, which covered a lot of the same ground, a few weeks ago. In fact, ESPN's piece is arguably the better movie, covering more ground (it goes back to the start of Soviet hockey, while Red Army starts in the late 70s) and in more detail. The two movies complement each other well and it's worth seeing both BUT, if you're going to see just one, see the ESPN film. Red Army also, for whatever reason, decided to make a confusing mess of the little montage they did of the Miracle on Ice. Clips are shown super-zoomed in, out of order and generally just in a very confusing fashion. Makes no sense. Gripes aside, this was very good anyway. 8/10.

p.s. For those that asked during the ESPN movie, Red Army DOES delve into the Fetisov/Kasatonov relationship in detail/depth.