DVDVR Message Board

Random Matches between two guys that surprised you

Web Conn

The finish of that Hogan/Rhodes match is so strange.  Did Nick Patrick ever utilize his senior ref authority like that before?  Hogan getting the DQ win and maybe getting the bullrope away from Rhodes and running him off would've been a fine way to end the show but him getting the quick pin in the middle just reminds me how much I hated babyface Hogan in WCW.

Oh man those IGF matches just reminded me of one of the greatest abortions in wrestling history, the Predator vs. Montanha Silva. Then I went to try and find it and it wasn't even listed on cagematch.de. Maybe it's their tag together with Ogawa and Takayama. I just remember it being soooooooo baaaaaaad and us making so many jokes about it in Purotopia. Honestly it could probably be any match with Silva, who is about as coordinated as Raja Lion in the ring.

EDIT: Since I didn't post a match how about this. Kanemura gets brought in from Japan just so Sullivan can carve him like a Thanksgiving turkey to the tune of many stitches. Pretty goddamn random

I've always taken Cornette's rants on hardcore and comedy with a grain of salt.

"ECW was nothing but violence for the sake of violence" when Smoky Mountain had blood on almost every show and had plenty of weapons-filled brawls, as mentioned above.

And his rants against comedy in wrestling and "sports entertainment" are also always a little hard to swallow given that he grew up in a territory where tar-and-feather matches existed, midgets were often on the undercard, and he had his face shoved in a cake god knows how many times, not to mention the birthday party for his poodle he always references when he talks about Ole Anderson turfing GCW Superstars.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, here's Dan Severn vs Tarzan Goto in a match that was eighty times better than it had any right to be, and has to easily be the best "pro wrestling" match of Dan Severn's career:

Wish I could find the full match of this, but could only find this brief music video. Basically, it was announced in advance as Dustin Rhodes vs Christopher Daniels, but they both "caught food poisoning" on the day of the show, so this was the replacement match...

I still find it stunning that no indy to this date has booked Curry Man vs Matt Classic in a battle of the masked wrestling stars.

I absolutely hated that Sullivan/Kanemura match back in the day.  I just thought Sullivan was a total asshole for butchering him and letting him have almost no offense just to advance an angle that had nothing to do with WING. 

Anyway, I'm going with the random tag team of Hulk Hogan and Iron Mike Sharpe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2tNwjKQcvA