DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

I don't see how this model could not work. The Network is worth a subscription based on the reduced cost of PPV events alone, and on top of that I get virtually every wrestling PPV ever, classic matches and NXT. Why would any fan who has the means not get the Network?

I don't see how this model could not work. The Network is worth a subscription based on the reduced cost of PPV events alone, and on top of that I get virtually every wrestling PPV ever, classic matches and NXT. Why would any fan who has the means not get the Network?

Because they care more about classic non WWF stuff than modern stuff?

So while I'm opening with Tajiri, I'm coming up with a bunch of guys I want to play the "Watch there career develop" game. Tossing on Eddie, Rey, Vader, Foley, and Dustin.

This... is gonna take me a while, isn't it?

Is there going to be a "search by wrestler" option on the network? Because that would be amazing.

Also on PS3.

Well, I know what I'm doing when I'm done my AC4 session today.

I'm gonna guess that Monday Night when the live/exclusive content kicks in it going to be the closest they'll get to the server stress that WM will get.  The first few days'll tell how close they are to being able to handle the traffic from WM.  I'd venture to guess that if they have issues, they'll be some kind of big, live "app exclusive" event to get the traffic up to test again.

I know they wanted the symbolism of WrestleMania XXX being the first live PPV the new Network runs, but I think they should've launched the app earlier and used EC as the first major live test.  

But hey, whatever.

You are underestimating how truly awful a lot of "fans" are. This will not be enough to make them happy. I could see if they have a lot of the classic stuff already but the PPVs alone should be enough.. I mean, if you are even a tiny bit interested in the present era? $9.99 can be found in your couch.

I've got 5 discs of a lucha set and about 3 hours of Portland to get through right now. Plus access to pretty much whatever I want already. 

If NXT goes off Hulu, I'll think about it because I like NXT, but there's nothing really for me right now to justify a few less coffees a month or tossing the cash to the next 80s set or whatever.

I've got to ask, because if months go by and I find out there's a way, i'll be sad I never asked.

I know people can connect their English 3DS to Japanese accounts and access their store to download things, is there any way I can get connected to the Network once it launches over the pond?

People on Facebook are already complaining about the six month commitment

Not my friends, but dipshits in the comments of official WWE posts.

They're really going to cry a lot when the free week ends up being like Hulu and you have to enter credit card information to do it.

It's common sense, but so is the reasoning behind the six month commitment and people can't seem to figure that out either.

Fuck em

• Like 2

You can add the WWE Network on your ROKU box now.  :)

I hope the screenshots they show is accurate cause I like the idea of seeing "Best of Smackdown" following by World Class TV on live schedule.  And what looks like the Legends of Wrestling library from Classics.

Done and done.  One less thing to do on Monday morning!

There is something kind of brilliant in the WM part.  One of the big "problems" with WWE selling itself is that it seems like there are a lot of people who only ever ordered WM, so they were ONLY ever going to get the $70 or whatever out of them for the year.

Now they'll still get that $70 from those people for their "I'll just get this for mania" six months.  Plus, once they get used to all those extra "free" PPVs, a pretty good chunk of them will likely just keep the sub. over the year.  So now instead of getting $70 from super casual fans who only paid attention once a year, they'll get $120 out of them while maybe converting them to slightly more than super casual fans who keep up with the storylines all year long.

Worst case scenario for those extra, what is it million or 750,000 Mania-only people is that they make exactly the same amount of money from them.  Best case is that they nearly double that from those people and make them more invested fans generally.

As much as I'm excited about the Network from a fan standpoint, I am concerned about it as a business analyst.  I think its the biggest gamble Vince has taken since the first WrestleMania.  If it doesn't work, it is going to be hard for WWE to go back to pay per view models with the same split they are getting now.  They said in the conference call that they'll release their first subscriber numbers some time after Mania.  That will be very interesting.  I believe the Network could be either a home run for WWE or a swing and a miss.  It really could go either way.

That all being said, I do agree that Mania will remain special for the reasons Niners Fan mentioned.  I'd imagine we'll hear some "subscribe now and you'll get WrestleMania" commercials in October this year.  And with that idea, it could bolster the importance of Summer Slam to be a stronger #2 and keep people subscribed year round.

The actual biggest thing about the Network, is that it really doesn't just affect the WWE.  It has the potential to be a proof-of-concept for other high profile Programing Networks to go the same way, which might cause a huge paradigm shift among providers.

Or it doesn't.