DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

I think it was Kevin Kelly on the Place To Be Podcast who said that 2 tapes were in the vault and never to be touched... one was Over the Edge. I forget what the other one was. 

I hope it's something random like Rampage Tour 91 or something.

I think it was Kevin Kelly on the Place To Be Podcast who said that 2 tapes were in the vault and never to be touched... one was Over the Edge. I forget what the other one was.

Probably the Benoit tribute Raw.

I think this was the one. 

I'm pretty frustrated how ever since the announcement of the launch seemingly the #1 thing talked about has been Over The Edge 99. Will they show it? Will they edit it? Really? Why are people so morbidly fascinated by this topic?

It's even more annoying to me how many people will rush to watch that as the first thing they do when they get The Network. Fuck all this newly available awesome wrestling in high quality streams, let me rush to see how WWE handled showing Owen Hart's death!

• Like 3

Well, for completists who like to see every change of the WWE Title you need Over The Edge because Taker beat Austin for the belt (as an aside, was this Taker's last WWE title run?). So there is a historical precedent on the show even though, as stated, the match itself sucked and wasn't 1/10 as good as the SummerSlam main because the match was a full on Russo "who cares about wrasslin' let's just book a billion run ins and swerves" shitfest.

Meltzer said they're gonna follow the formula of Classics on Demand, as stuff is added, the previous stuff will be removed. He said what they've shown is like 1% of their library. 

So by the time it's launched in Europe it's likely they'll have already taken stuff down. Cool. Not having the entire library just up to watch, or at least slowly working towards that goal was probably the only thing that would have got me down on subscribing. So that's a bummer.

Well, for completists who like to see every change of the WWE Title you need Over The Edge because Taker beat Austin for the belt (as an aside, was this Taker's last WWE title run?).

Nope.  He beat Hogan for the Undisputed title in 2002, and dropped it to Rock in a triple threat with Angle for Rock's then record 7th WWF title win.

The worst part of Over The Edge 99 was all the JR/Lawler discussion about Owen and they've shown those clips on lots of DVD's (Bret's and the Monday Night War come to mind). So why would it be a huge issue to additionally show the shitty matches as well?

They're releasing Over the Edge 1999... that's why we're talking about it. Unless you mean showing the event with the fall included.. which is just an insane thought for any rational person to think WWE would actually do.

No, I'm saying I hope they don't release the event at all. I don't believe there's any good that can come from it. The Network should be more about "Wow, check out this awesome match from '91 WCW" and less about whether you could tell the announcers were receiving word on this or that at a specific moment or if you felt the wrestlers were performing differently because of Owen, etc..

I'm going to assume Over the Edge will be heavily edited. The interview with Blue Blazer cut, commentary edited to exclude references to it, etc. But yeah I do agree, that's one that should probably just stay in the vault.

Yea I watched Over the Edge live at the time and I really have no desire to see it again.  I had no desire to keep watching it at the time, we were surprised they continued the event, and you could tell it impacted the wrestlers (especially Jarrett and Debra).  I mean the ring was still damaged from where he landed so the wrestlers couldn't even wrestle in one corner so obviously they had to keep thinking about it throughout the match.  I'm in general not a fan of skipping over history and I am glad they aren't cutting out Benoit since he was on so many events, but I'd understand if they skipped Over the Edge.  Anyone that really wants to see it can find it online somewhere.

• Like 1

Speaking of 'finding it online' there's a channel now that has a ton of wwe, ecw, and wcw, ppvs. I think someone with a large collection was recently butthurt over the announcement of The Network.

Re: OTE 99

WWE should (and by all accounts they are) take this opportunity serious. This is the time to rally all eyes on The Network. If WWE doesn't want to play completist...people will find it elsewhere. This is going to hurt the tape traders and this is going to hurt the youtubers who are trying to get themselves over by servicing the thousands of hungry wrestling fans with illegal postings of full PPV events etc. Either product a complete product or people will go elsewhere.

WWE has been running away from their history for a VERY long time. Hell they twist and turn the history of a lot of things. So it will be great for current and future fans to see HOW IT ALL REALLY WENT DOWN in WCW, ECW, WWF, NWA, etc. without the nice WWE production team going over it and highlighting the guys who are currently kissing Vince's ass and burying the guys who don't need the money anymore.

Anyone that really wants to see it can find it online somewhere.

Isn't one point of the network to discourage people from doing this?

I doubt it.  The network just makes it a whole lot easier to find the event you want, more convenient, and ensures the best picture quality.  I mean you think people will suddenly stop uploading matches to DailyMotion and Youtube because there is an official network?  You can right now find most of Over the Edge on DailyMotion and/or Youtube.

And I don't personally care if they have the PPV, I just don't blame them at all if they don't and it in no way impacts my interest (or anyone else's interest I imagine) in the Network.  So why open a can of worms that doesn't impact the bottom line.  I mean the Benoit RAW won't be on there either I'm willing to bet, disclaimer or not.