DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

I wouldn't mind if WWE just muted the sound if they don't have the music rights.  The combo of (obviously different music) + (current day fat Fink) +  (canned dull crowd roar) = janky sounding to me.

While it might be hard to make any profit off of Youtube, how many indie promotions are making any money off their television shows anyway? Instead of paying a local broadcaster to show your television show, you could just as easily post it on YouTube for free and use it to both promote your live shows and fuel digital downloads of full shows. 

Local TV is akin to local advertising.  It's a loss leader with the idea that it'll payoff at the box office.

A lot of promotions do put their TV on YouTube and while it's theoretically a good way to get some new viewers and drive a little traffic to their website for merch or digital sales, the signal to noise ratio is so low on a tool like YouTube that solely relying on that to garner local ticket buying viewers is a much bigger longshot than even a viewer discovering the show while channel surfing.

I wouldn't mind if WWE just muted the sound if they don't have the music rights.  The combo of (obviously different music) + (current day fat Fink) +  (canned dull crowd roar) = janky sounding to me.

While it might be hard to make any profit off of Youtube, how many indie promotions are making any money off their television shows anyway? Instead of paying a local broadcaster to show your television show, you could just as easily post it on YouTube for free and use it to both promote your live shows and fuel digital downloads of full shows. 

Local TV is akin to local advertising.  It's a loss leader with the idea that it'll payoff at the box office.

A lot of promotions do put their TV on YouTube and while it's theoretically a good way to get some new viewers and drive a little traffic to their website for merch or digital sales, the signal to noise ratio is so low on a tool like YouTube that solely relying on that to garner local ticket buying viewers is a much bigger longshot than even a viewer discovering the show while channel surfing.

How does this effect a company like Ring of Honor or Dragongate USA?  They both travel nationally, they have a decent following, but neither have a reliable way for people to see their product when they aren't in their town.  If they make most of their money from live shows, and generally lose money on TV, why don't they put their TV on Youtube where everyone who is interested in their product can see it.  Basically every single potential customer has access to Youtube, and the way wrestling works I'd bet more people would buy tickets to their shows if they had an idea of the fueds and personalities who they would be seeing.  Put the shows on Youtube maybe 4-5 days after they debut on TV and put up classic shows for a week or so and I'd be willing to bet their gates go up substantially.

Only potential flaw I see with the Network is them not picking an epic enough song from stock music to replace November Rain on ECW TV. Everything else should be gravy.

They'll just dust off Lonely Road of Faith by Kid Rock.

I am thinking of starting with the earliest match/show and working my way through the archives chronologically, though I may check out the Jericho/Rhyno match from SS01 to see if it is edited or complete.

I posted responses to both the "What happens to the Indies?" and "Will it work on my "X" device?" in the Yammering thread, but those questions have seemed to pop up over here as well.

If this does hurt indies, I wonder if companies

Like PWG will eventually try to work out a deal to get their stuff streamed note network. Or maybe Netflix and/or Hulu will eventually try to fill their soon-to-be-gap in wrestling content by streaming indies. Probably wishful thinking.

Cubbymark brought up the indies which I think is a fair and realistic discussion. I don't buy indy wrestling DVDs, but doesn't smart mark video offer an on-demand service or at least a digital delivery option? There is that in terms of keeping up with the digital age and eliminating the need for physical DVDs. Price point could be an issue because $10-$15+ for an indy IPPV/DVD vs. $10 for an ENTIRE MONTH of WWE Network seems like a hard sell for the indies. A realistic option could be to try and get on Netflix and Hulu. There's a bunch of random/old stuff on Hulu including LuchaLIbre USA and some other stuff and isn't there a Legends Return indy show on Netflix with Nash? I'd say most indies would need to up their production values, but those are certainly options for them.  

What else is on Hulu? I find nothing other than the Lucha Libre USA stuff.

How does this effect a company like Ring of Honor or Dragongate USA?  They both travel nationally, 

As someone who lives in the second biggest market in the country, they really don't.

How does this effect a company like Ring of Honor or Dragongate USA?  They both travel nationally, 

As someone who lives in the second biggest market in the country, they really don't.

That probably enhances my point, L.A. is a huge market that they potentially could expand to if they actually gave the wrestling fans there a reason to care about their product.  I'm surprised Dragongate USA doesn't work more on the west coast, especially since they share a lot of talent with Dragongate in Japan.  It seems like they would save on airfare if nothing else. 

Back to the Network, has there been any news on what actually gets shown live on the network.  I've been so focused on having access to past PPVs I haven't really paid much attention to what going to be shown on their regular programming.  I've heard about Legends House and the live NXT show, but will they show any classic TV from AWA, Mid-South, and NWA? 

The fact that none of the Indys have figured out away to profit off Youtube by now is kind of insane to me.  fit.

It's harder to monetize and profit than you think from Youtube. Of all the networks they launched in the past couple years, only a couple of them are even profitable.

Just like with music, I always thought TNA, ROH, and other indies should try to get their events on iTunes with an option to buy individual matches.

Much like the music industry, I think pro-wrestling tends to spend too much time holding onto past formulas instead of inventing new ones. 

ClickWrestle

I posted responses to both the "What happens to the Indies?" and "Will it work on my "X" device?" in the Yammering thread, but those questions have seemed to pop up over here as well.

If this does hurt indies, I wonder if companies

Like PWG will eventually try to work out a deal to get their stuff streamed note network. Or maybe Netflix and/or Hulu will eventually try to fill their soon-to-be-gap in wrestling content by streaming indies. Probably wishful thinking.

Cubbymark brought up the indies which I think is a fair and realistic discussion. I don't buy indy wrestling DVDs, but doesn't smart mark video offer an on-demand service or at least a digital delivery option? There is that in terms of keeping up with the digital age and eliminating the need for physical DVDs. Price point could be an issue because $10-$15+ for an indy IPPV/DVD vs. $10 for an ENTIRE MONTH of WWE Network seems like a hard sell for the indies. A realistic option could be to try and get on Netflix and Hulu. There's a bunch of random/old stuff on Hulu including LuchaLIbre USA and some other stuff and isn't there a Legends Return indy show on Netflix with Nash? I'd say most indies would need to up their production values, but those are certainly options for them.  

What else is on Hulu? I find nothing other than the Lucha Libre USA stuff.

I guess LuchaLibre USA is the only other wrestling show on there. They've got Wrestling with Shadows, Card Subject to Change, Wrestlemaniac, No Holds Barred, as well as some UFC stuff. I thought there was more. 

NEW question. Anybody hear anything about gifting a subscription? Netflix and Hulu have this option. Same question about UFC Fight Pass

http://www.wwe.com/classics/15-best-pay-per-views

So, WWE lists the 15 Best PPV's, which they say should be on the must watch when the Network launches.  And I'm actually pretty OK with that list.  Shit, its got Bash 89 and Spring Stampede 94 on the list.

yeah, my only problem is that Backlash 2001 isn't on there, which i feel is one of the best events ever. Then again, it's always overlooked so i didn't really expect to see it ranked.

not a bad list at all.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/15-best-pay-per-views

So, WWE lists the 15 Best PPV's, which they say should be on the must watch when the Network launches.  And I'm actually pretty OK with that list.  Shit, its got Bash 89 and Spring Stampede 94 on the list.

yeah, my only problem is that Backlash 2001 isn't on there, which i feel is one of the best events ever. Then again, it's always overlooked so i didn't really expect to see it ranked.

not a bad list at all.

Backlash 2001 or 2000?

So the replays of the shows supposedly go up right after they air. I hope this means eastern time, because while Raw would start at the normal time if the show stays three hours, the west coast would get Smackdown an hour early.

Yeah, but don't forget that if you're on the west coast, you now watch Raw on the Network at 8PM... but not have to deal with commercials AND have the ability to fast forward through stuff you don't want to see.

Meltzer says they're be putting stuff up and taking stuff off on a weekly basis just like their On Demand site and we're still be getting around 1% of their library. And if you don't have high speed internet, probably not a good idea.

Meltzer says they're be putting stuff up and taking stuff off on a weekly basis just like their On Demand site and we're still be getting around 1% of their library. And if you don't have high speed internet, probably not a good idea.

Most everyone has high speed internet though. My original concern on this issue was HOW HIGH does it have to be? Now that I'm switching over to U-Verse and it's supposedly 12.0mbps (which still isn't a lot) I hope it will be enough...and I've been told that it will be enough. So we'll see.