DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

I really want this to work because I stopped paying attention to the WWE mostly because I couldn't watch the PPVs (Well, I could but I wasn't going to pay what I thought was outrageous PPV prices) but with this I am a little kid again, sitting down on those Sunday nights, getting hyped by the pre-show and watching a PPV and the best part is, it doesn't matter how shitty it is because I paid $9.99 for the month.

The only thing that could kill this is not having enough subscribers so I really hope they hit their mark.

Needs a thread.

Question: How can this fail? I'm blinkered by the three day boner I've had since it was announced.

If the servers can't handle the user volume during Wrestlemania.

Good point. Has that been an issue for MLB at any point? What sort of numbers do they draw at the higher end?

Actually yeah, I remember I watched an online Wrestlemania stream from wwe.com last year and we had to switch to an illegal feed and get our money back because the feed went down right when the Shield walked out and we missed the entire first match and then it went out halfway through Ryback and Mark Henry.

Actually yeah, I remember I watched an online Wrestlemania stream from wwe.com last year and we had to switch to an illegal feed and get our money back because the feed went down right when the Shield walked out and we missed the entire first match and then it went out halfway through Ryback and Mark Henry.

They weren't working with MLB last year.

I'll be interested to see how the cable companies react when it comes time to bid on RAW/SmackDown.

Just going off of how poorly DirecTV is reacting to the PPV news, I don't think it's as much of a leap to say that the Comcasts (NBC-Universal) of the world might try to blackball/lowball them to fight the nWo that could suddenly threaten their billion dollar cable scam.

WWE just bypassed all of the cable networks, and gave the public a perfect example of a reasonably priced a la carte system that no cable company wants to exist. TV execs can't be happy about that.

I'll be interested to see how the cable companies react when it comes time to bid on RAW/SmackDown.

Just going off of how poorly DirecTV is reacting to the PPV news, I don't think it's as much of a leap to say that the Comcasts (NBC-Universal) of the world might try to blackball/lowball them to fight the nWo that could suddenly threaten their billion dollar cable scam.

WWE just bypassed all of the cable networks, and gave the public a perfect example of a reasonably priced a la carte system that no cable company wants to exist. TV execs can't be happy about that.

My (uneducated) take is that tv networks aren't in the strongest shape to be turning down consistent ratings draws like Raw/SD.

Yeah - this is totally different than any wrestling streams you have ever seen. However, I'm still uncertain how my internet connection will be able to handle it. With 3mbps, it should be able to handle it but maybe not..  It might be time for an upgrade.

I'm debating on whether I should purchase WrestleMania the old fashioned way or try my luck with the network. Either way I will be getting the network on 2/24. They are showing LIVE tapings of NXT on 2/27.

In regards to TV rights, it's gonna be a three-horse race. Either Viacom or Comcast-Universal or Fox. Fox and Viacom especially could use them to bring more viewers to their other stuff. Especially with Viacom owning Bellator and Glory. So it'll be USA, Spike, or FS1.

I would think during negotiations the networks will have a long discussion about exclusive content. The FAQ says the network will show RAW/SD!/Main Event replays and I understand those are available on HULU but this is different. If I'm one of these networks I don't want people waiting to watch RAW. I wonder how that will play out..

• Like 1

I reread a Bix article on the new rights. I'm not sure the network impacts things as much as you might think:

Bidding for WWE cannot start until February 15th, the end of Comcast/NBC Universal's exclusive negotiation period to keep WWE on their family of cable networks.  The other bids must be in by February 28th, and WWE will make its choice by March 4th.

However, it's unlikely WWE will be going anywhere.  Variety cites "industry insiders" as saying there's "no way" Comcast/NBCU will let WWE go, as Raw is what makes USA the top basic cable network.  Without Raw?  USA would be in fourth place.  All other WWE programming has very much outperformed its predecessors, too.

Spike may also be weary from their experience with TNA which could give USA an edge. Getting ratings is one thing but you still need to convince advertisers that the viewers will spend money. TNA fans being mostly shut ins living on government assistance may have soured Spike executives on turning those viewers into ad dollars. 

• Like 1