DVDVR Message Board

SD Spoilers for January 10th 2014

ChesterCopperpot

1. The Uso Brothers fought Luke Harper and Erick Rowan to a double count out. The lights went out and Daniel Bryan hit the ring to take out the Uso Brothers. The Yes! chants died out pretty quickly. Bray Wyatt hit Sister Abigail on one of the Uso Brothers...

Randy Orton cut a backstage promo with Vickie Guerrero. He said he will address The Authority on Raw. It was announced that C.M. Punk and the New Age Outlaws will face The Shield later tonight...

The Miz hosted Miz TV with Big Show as his guest. Big Show challenged Brock Lesnar to a match at the Royal Rumble. Paul Heyman accepted on behalf of Lesnar...

2. Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara, and Los Matadores beat The Real Americans, Curtis Axel, and Ryback. Mysterio hit the 619 on Swagger and followed up with a splash. Win for the good guys...

3. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton pinned Intercontinental Champion Big E Langston in a non-title match. Orton hit the RKO on Langston for the win. Solid bout...

The Wyatts and Daniel Bryan were featured in a pre-taped promo calling out The Uso Brothers...

4. Xavier Woods beat Fandango (w/Summer Rae). Woods won with a quick rollup on Fandango.

The Shield came out for the main event. Roman Reigns said he is the new "Best in the World." Dean Ambrose said he is having nightmares and wants to choke out Damien. Seth Rollins said tonight is about the future of WWE and it's time to take out The New Age Outlaws...

5. The Shield defeated C.M. Punk and The New Age Outlaws in a six-man tag match. Roman Reigns speared Billy Gunn for the win, and The Shield headed for the exits.

Dark Main Event

John Cena said a mixed reaction is "the sound of Philadelphia." He referenced the jail at The Vet (stadium) and the crowd ate it up. He asked the crowd if they want a championship match "in a fighting city like Philadelphia. Randy Orton hit the ring.

1. John Cena defeated Randy Orton by DQ in a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match. Orton headed up the ramp and said he wanted to "get out of this crap town." Cena chased him down and threw him back inside the ring. There was a ref bump and Cena made Orton tap, but the ref wasn't there to see it. Orton hit Cena with the belt and the ref woke up to count, but Cena kicked out. Cena also kicked out an RKO, but Orton hit him with a low blow for the DQ. Orton went for the punt kick, but Cena turned it into the Attitude Adjustment. Cena's music played to close the show.

I think it looks like a pretty interesting show. We know a Usos vs Wyatts sprint can be enjoyable and that's probably what this will be. The eight-man sounds like a blast. I really hope we get some more Cesaro vs Rey in this. I actually can't wait to see the six man. I hope the FIP is on Road Dogg since that'll be novel at least. Last I remember he could sell pretty well. The Big E match is going to be unlike anything we've ever seen him in, I think.

I'm watching this in bits and pieces. Naturally, I just watched The Wyatt stuff.

So, uhm, it's awesome.

The Wyatts vs. Usos match is predictably awesome. Just super stiff stuff. Can the Erik Rowan hate stop? The guy has gotten really good. He bumps really well. He also does these good little things that make him look like a total monster -- He did the knuckles-to-the-temples thing Sgt. Slaughter used to do. This ends with a really good double count-out slug-fest. Harper and Rowan get the upper hand and bring The Usos into the ring for some destruction, but they manage to get out of dodge. But then the lights go out and when they come back on, Bray and Daniel jumped The Usos from behind. Daniel does the running knee and Bray hits Sister Abigail. They then pose over their bodies like a funeral pyre -- both Bray and Daniel on their knees like they're on a crucifix with the monsters lurking behind them. Such great phrasing.

Later on the show, The Wyatts are in the shadows, with Daniel front-and-center. "USOS! If I broke one of your bones, would the other feel it?" Then Bray talks about them playing hero and living a lie. Bryan then screams "LIIIIEEEEEEE!" and screams about how we've always been told lies and speaks in this manic pacing.

This RULES. I actually want Bryan in The Wyatt Family forever and ever. It's so much more interesting and crazy than Bryan vs. The Authority, and I LOVED that stuff.

That match on Monday is going to rule.

• Like 1

Fell asleep in food coma right after the first match, but goddamn I could watch Luke Harper make crazy eyes and destroy people all day long. Rowan is the yin to his yang now, they mesh so well as a nutbar pair of dudes that maul people with Luke holding the one conscious braincell between them. If I don't catch the replay tomorrow just for the promo I'm gonna be pissed. Also, the Usos are good as all get out.

Where did that Usos promo come from? Super solid babyface looking for revenge stuff. "When we down WE STAND UP." Someone somewhere said this feels like a PPV build-up. It totally does. This stuff RULES. The Bryan/Wyatt stuff 100% feels like the most important stuff in the league right now, right above Punk vs. The Shield. Everything else -- including Cena/Orton and Lesnar -- is way below it.

I love the Shield's promo. Reigns was so cocky. This felt like this was his first individual mic showcase. Dean talking about hating snakes was great. Was I wrong in thinking Roman had a bemused look on his face when Ambrose was freaking out?

So, so, so good.

I actually was embarrassed when Bryan was talking during the Wyatt bit, and I'm fond of him and the Wyatts. Not nearly as embarrassed as I was when Punk was pretending to vomit for 30 seconds straight, but embarrassed still. I want to believe this is going somewhere positive for Daniel Bryan the super-over main event wrestler, but I'm cynical.

Bray's promo made me think of Tomax and Xamot, of course.

The Outlaws looked great! I'd like to see them again soon, maybe on the next Raw. The way I feel about Dean Ambrose now, I felt about Billy Gunn back in 1999. Billy Gunn was my #1 guy and I was incensed seeing him mostly thrashed in his feud with Rock. I'm still disappointed he didn't get to the top.

Shield segments remain my #1 reason for watching. I need them to win more, though. I miss the good feeling of "my team" being the best team.

As I'm fond of the song and like the name, I want Dean Ambrose's headlock driver to be named Guttershark.

As much as we all know the Miz as the most unlikable face in the company, Woods must be a close second. Every time I see him, he comes across as a massive bellend.

I'm not sure what the general consensus on them is, but I love Los Matadores. Every match they're in is just fun, way more entertaining than being talented-but-generic Epico and Primo.

• Like 2

As much as we all know the Miz as the most unlikable face in the company, Woods must be a close second. Every time I see him, he comes across as a massive bellend.

I'm not sure what the general consensus on them is, but I love Los Matadores. Every match they're in is just fun, way more entertaining than being talented-but-generic Epico and Primo.

I want to punch Woods whenever I hear his voice.

• Like 1

Big E acquitted himself really well against Orton but he REALLY needs to work on his in ring charisma and connection with the fans. I guess the whole FCW/NXT talent not working in front of fans talking point is rearing it's head.

Glad Jimmy Uso got to cut a promo that wasn't happy, happy, smiley, smile. As Total Divas displayed he has personality and can talk.

CM Punk and The New Age Outlaws vs. The Shield was a fun instantly forgettable TV match.

Say it aint so:

baby.gif

Big E acquitted himself really well against Orton but he REALLY needs to work on his in ring charisma and connection with the fans. I guess the whole FCW/NXT talent not working in front of fans talking point is rearing it's head.

It is kinda weird that they have all this grand production at the shows and on the shows, but that ain't the same as performing in front of a big crowd.

Maybe it was my feed, but towards the end of the  Wyatts/Usos match, the commentary didn't quite seem right. It seemed like they didn't like what they did, re-did the commentary for one match in a studio, then transplanted that commentary over the (canned) crowd noise.

Kinda how they do when you're watching Raw and Cole will randomly sound different and start talking about a tour of Europe during an actual match, when you know non-Europe people aren't hearing it.

Maybe it was my feed, but towards the end of the  Wyatts/Usos match, the commentary didn't quite seem right. It seemed like they didn't like what they did, re-did the commentary for one match in a studio, then transplanted that commentary over the (canned) crowd noise.

Kinda how they do when you're watching Raw and Cole will randomly sound different and start talking about a tour of Europe during an actual match, when you know non-Europe people aren't hearing it.

I thought the camera seemed odd after the beatdown and kept switching back and forth betwen two very similar shots.  It was a little jarring.  Maybe some sort of technical issue.

Bryan's mic work stands out the most when he's being uber-intense. Bray Wyatt's gimmick is significantly more understated; a creepy, amoral swamp-dweller with a Messiah complex. Bryan's at his best when he's screaming. Bray's at his best when he's laughing. The combination is jarring. I could see it working, but it's a bigger ask both of them and the writers.

I thought the camera seemed odd after the beatdown and kept switching back and forth betwen two very similar shots.  It was a little jarring.  Maybe some sort of technical issue.

I just watched the show and was coming to point this out.  To me it seemed like the after match beatdown was recorded but only on the hard cams and not originally intended for TV, then tacked on for some reason.  And yes, the commentary then just sounded awkward as hell.  Before being a manager, I did commentary for years, and I hated anytime I had to do post production commentary.  No matter what, it ALWAYS sounds different from commentary done live; it's just impossible to capture the same emotion when you're commentating at a video of something that has already happened.  And that's what Cole sounded like here............he was trying so hard to sound amazed and freaked out by what was happening but it sounded so dry, as did the canned crowd noise. 

And the picture kept cutting from one hard cam to another. 

All in all it made the segment seem really awkward and took away from it.