DVDVR Message Board

Big Bang Theory all purpose thread

RandomAct

We talk about this show enough in the TV thread, and someone suggested we give it it's own thread, so here goes.

I liked one thing in particular from the last episode.  Sheldon was actually quite serious for a moment when Leonard was distraught about Penny.  Sure, it set up a joke, but we know Sheldon doesn't lie, so he meant what he said to Leonard. 

Anyhow, talk away.

• Like 1

Just for me personally, the show has kind of reached a rocky third act.  So I hope they don't try to keep on the show longer and over-extend it.  I think it's a little absurd that HIMYM has been on as long as it has.

All the main conflicts have kind of worked themselves out.  Feel like the show should probably end soon though.

I don't see it going past one more season.  They have a unique problem in that the show is more popular than ever, so from a fiscal point of view, it's going to be hard for them to let go.  But they have an opportunity to wrap things up in a satisfactory way without the show getting too far past it's prime.

• Like 1

It's Chuck Lorre, I feel like he and CBS will try to keep the show on another 8 years.  But I agree in principle.

Still it's fun to see how far it's come.  I went to tapings of the first season before it really broke out.  They were easy to get into at that time.  I remember being worried when the strike happened since the show just started and a lot of shows got hurt or killed as a result.  Luckily, the show did well enough to hang around and it only got more popular later.

The show has certainly has been losing it's charm this season, but I'll say that the Penny and Leonard drama of the last episode was good and a refreshing since there's hardly been any drama between them since they became a couple everything's worked perfectly for them.

I must say that this show hasn't been funny in a while either, although Sheldon trying to scientifically find humor lead to some funny stuff. I didn't find the Howard and Raj awkward interactions from this season funny at all personally.

Also I'm glad they killed the Lucy character. She wasn't funny at all and I see no need for all of the main characters to be involved in a relationship. Let there at least be one be single at least although at this point I'd be more surprised if Raj didn't end up coming out of the closet and saying he's a homosexual and ends up in some gay relationship with Stuart.

I got hooked on the show not too long ago; caught up through the ten thousand reruns on TBS and the like.

I have friends who like the show and I have friends who DESPISE the show with the passion of a thousand burning suns; not a lot of middle ground.

I had just been thinking that nothing significant had happened in a while and now the relationship drama is resurfacing...

I didn't like Lucy either.

I love Kate Micucci in everything and didn't like the Lucy character. Can't believe how the writers dropped the ball with her.

Same here.  When she first showed up, I was very excited because I'm all "hey, it's Gooch"!!  The idea of her character was perfect for Raj, but really did bungle the character.  At this point, count me in on the "Raj is gay" reveal.

The Lucy character was terrible, but my hunch is that she was written that way because her whole purpose was to be the one that breaks Raj's mutism. Speaking of Raj, I still don't think the gay card is the right one to pull with him (although the last episode with him and Stuart certainly hinted at that).

I'll also say that the last episode with Penny and Leonard was very refreshing. Every time there's some drama in the relationship, Penny walks all over Leonard. Even when he had an issue with an old boyfriend staying on her couch, she somehow won that argument with him. IMHO, her being upset with his proposal rejection was totally in character for her: She's constantly depressed over her career, and when she realizes that Leonard's the only good thing she's accomplished while being in L.A., he shoots down her offer to cement it, despite HIS past efforts. It was very well written.

As mentioned in the last thread, my only major complaint of the past 2 seasons with these two is how the writers dropped the ball with Alex (is she even in the show anymore? Was a very good character). Leonard should've pursued that in retribution for Penny constantly leading him on, back and forth. But instead, as soon as she finds that he's simply enjoying Alex's attention, the writers neuter him like a 6 month old puppy. Extremely disappointing. I get that Penny is supposed to be the dominant one of the relationship, but really, Leonard's written so that the only ounce of self respect he can muster in six seasons is halfway rejecting an on-the-spot drunken marriage proposal. If they REALLY want to make it interesting, they'd follow up this episode with Leonard dumping Penny all together (on account of her getting married in Vegas and her subsequent reaction to his rejection), dating other girls, and Penny clawing her way back into his life. Instead, I'm sure we'll get Penny acting all emo and Leonard somehow making it up to her.

• Like 2

I find BBT to be hilarious because I know people who act like that in real life.   I keep in contact with some friends who work at DARPA that can talk about Magic:  The Gathering and the weaponization of microwave emitters in the same breath.

The funny thing is that none of those guys can sit through a slasher movie or an episode of REAL LIFE STORIES OF THE ER. 

The theoretical negative density effect of a weapon on a given population size (AKA lots and lots of people getting blown to bits) does not affect them in the least, but the prospect of seeing fake blood in a movie or actual blood from a human on a television show freaks them out.

It's like the Army surgeons I know that can come out of an ER after pulling shrapnel out of a dude's open chest cavity and then eat a sandwich for lunch, but cannot put a worm on a hook and gut the fish they caught if their lives depended on it.

Courtney Ford is fucking hot.  I wish Alice would've been around for more than one episode.

I've told this to others but I sorta feel the writers had character ideas from the get go for the four lead males and when they went to CBS with it CBS was like 'we can't put on a show with just dudes, add a female and here's your starting budget' so the writers went back said lets just right a hot blonde character and make CBS happen and move on. So basicly the writers haver intended for Penny but on the end they had to have her so she's never written like the others

Big Bang Theory originated as two shows that were essentially combined.  One was about the Penny character moving out to LA.  The other one was about the nerds, and they combined them into the same show.  

Thing is, Leonard despite being a big time nerd when he's with Penny, they came off like a normal couple for the most part.  Basically speaking, it seems like he never let his "nerdom" or his hobbies get in the way of their relationship.  It looked like he watched girly shows with her, try to take her out to romantic dinners, etc.  That's why I liked how in one episode, Bernadette pointed out that Penny should go to a costume party with Leonard at the comic shop since Leonard does stuff for her all the time.  

So the problems that need to be addressed at this point are Penny's alcoholism, something I doubt this show would ever do and her being a commitment phobe that screws up really the best relationship she's had considering she would generally go for douchey jocks that mistreat her and cheat on her.  Leonard's problem is that as mentioned earlier, he's a pussy and should stand up to Penny.  Like in this last episode, he's devastated and in tears over what happened and HE DID NOTHING WRONG!  None of what happened was his fault.  OK maybe he was a little too brutally honest with her when she was in a vulnerable moment, but that's what she asked for.  Penny can't keep treating him like garbage when things get rough and Leonard needs to stand up for himself.

Penny is a bully :D .

I really disliked the Lucy charachter. She made no sense on any level. Was especially annoyed when they closed her story by having her tell Penny she met a guy and she's sorry for what she did to Raj. So within a month of not being able to attend a party with 6 other people or send a meal back in a restaurant she suddenly got over her crippling fear, met a guy & is happily dating him? What? Was the hardcore fanbase whining so they just brought her back to appease them by writing her out? It was mind boggling dumb.

I'm a huge fan of the show but this season has been kind of a bummer. Nothing seems to happen at all. Just a bunch of self-contained episodes. It doesn't seem like they have any direction unless they are going to rush the Leonard/Penny marriage before they leave the show. I always thought this season would build to and end with Sheldon/Amy sleeping together.

My theory on Lucy was that she lied about meeting someone new, but we may never know.  She was faced with the prospect of talking to Raj in person and he was pushing the relationship past her already-shaky comfort level, so she made up the story to let him down "easily".

I watched last weeks episode after reading this thread just to see what the big deal was. Lenoard is indeed a wimp. It would have been a perfect time for him to really stand up to Penny and smack (not in the literal sense) some sense into her.

I did find the subplot with Sheldon hilarious. Him trying to find a scientific theory for comedy. I took this English class on Comedy where we had to read Bergson. The theories behind comedy and everything but anything that is actually funny. AND I can totally see Raj and the other guy figuring out that they just might be gay. They've always wrote Raj as someone who is extremely repressed and tries way too hard to compensate for it.

They should try to wrap the show up, but as long as its getting 20 million viewers a week they'll keep on churning out episodes.

• Like 1

Personally, I'm just bored to death with the whole Leonard/Penny thing and I could do without them being the focal point of the show for a while. What is this, the 3rd or 4th time they've done one of these "will they break up" stories? Neither of them is even a very sympathetic character. Leonard's been with her for how many years now and he still doesn't know when to just tell her what she wants to hear and then shut the fuck up? Penny has all the emotional maturity of a 15 year old and drinks way too much. Was there even a scene in the last episode where she wasn't holding a wine glass or something? 

• Like 2

Sorry to do this. I don't watch, but my family was having a cow over hearing the use of the (last) name "NOSANCHUK" on the show in one of the lines. Don't know when or which scene, but it was this week's episode. Can anyone here verify this. Its a very uncommon name and we certainly take notice when some one pronounces it CORRECTLY. 

Sorry to do this. I don't watch, but my family was having a cow over hearing the use of the (last) name "NOSANCHUK" on the show in one of the lines. Don't know when or which scene, but it was this week's episode. Can anyone here verify this. Its a very uncommon name and we certainly take notice when some one pronounces it CORRECTLY.

It was during this episode when Raj and Howard are talking with Amy and Howard starts running down a list of girls who've turned him down.

Solid ep. Sheldon was great in it from start to finish.

That big dude who's name I forgot was fun too.

The Bernadette bit with her returning to the store was dull.