DVDVR Message Board

A SAINTS ROW THREAD

RIPPA

I don't really like Mind Over Matter either.  The TK power is annoying to use since it never seems to target right for me.  And like the Rift stuff, it is hard for me to tell the difference between the targets.  I got silver in all of them but I don't think I am going to bother to get gold.

They weirdly take a while to unlock and I'm not even sure when I got them, but one of the skins you can use is the Desperado guitar case.

I got a RPG last night after I did Pierce's nightmare mission and then I noticed Friendly Fire had them in stock. 

I'm really liking the nightmare and loyalty missions, there are some great callbacks to older games in the series.

I beat the game over the weekend.  It took about 25 hours which is about normal for open world games that aren't GTA, at least for me.

The last set of missions were fun, though I did find the controls for the "skydiving" portion to be really unwieldy.  I didn't die too many times during the game except for that part.  It took me about 10 tries to figure out what I was supposed to do, which was pretty annoying.

I'm on the fence wether to trade this in.  I've been going around and cleaning up collectables, getting gold in activities, etc but I don't think that will hold my interest for too long.  The superpowers are fun and the fully powered up weapons are ridiculous, but Steelport is just kind of small and bland.

Yeah. I think I might trade 3 and 4 in to defray costs of GTA V when that's out. The story stuff, i.e. getting the Zinyak text adventure and all the "logs" of the various characters was fun, but trying to find where the hell on the map those 10 clusters I can't find are seems like a drag.

I enjoyed this while it was new, but the replayability factor just isn't that high.

Meanwhile I banged out (no pun intended) Ballad of Gay Tony last weekend, and that's still fun.

There is an option on the map screen to just see the collectable stuff, but I've come across a couple of clusters where I'm right on the icon and have tried all sorts of heights but still can't find them.

I played through Episodes from LIberty City a little while back and it still holds up for me.  Mostly because there are no bullshit tutorial missions and the characters are interesting.  And it is still fun going through Liberty City since it feels like one of the most "alive" open worlds.  The DLC shows how rich the city is, because just starting the characters off in a different section of the city almost makes it feel like a totally new game.

As much as I liked SR 3 and 4, I still think 2 is the best because, even though the graphics are dated now, Stillwater is just much more interesting.  There are actually different neighborhoods with their own flavor and you see interesting ambient stuff like the pirate vs ninja fights.  Steelport is just bland by comparision.

SR2 got Paramore onto my radar as a key guilty pleasure and cheer up listen. SR3 sold me Grum's entire HEARTBEATS album. It feels odd and kind of sad that after listening to what I think is the entire radio selection, SR4 hasn't expanded my musical horizons at all. Everything I like enough to look for out of game I had already heard.

I honestly didn't listen to any of the radio stations with SR4. The music was very disappointing (aside from the Mix station where most of the awesome moments were used in the game).

Saints Row IV did a full-on Transformers homage in the last mission, right down to "The Touch."

I didn't like the controls in the 'skydiving' portion either. No explanation or anything -- I really wish that they would fix it.

Also, I almost don't want a SRV unless the DLC:

has the Saints restoring/replacing the Earth after it was atomized. Otherwise, they'll be boarding a giant TARDIS and going through history.

Yeah. I think I might trade 3 and 4 in to defray costs of GTA V when that's out. The story stuff, i.e. getting the Zinyak text adventure and all the "logs" of the various characters was fun, but trying to find where the hell on the map those 10 clusters I can't find are seems like a drag.

I enjoyed this while it was new, but the replayability factor just isn't that high.

Meanwhile I banged out (no pun intended) Ballad of Gay Tony last weekend, and that's still fun.

If you do Matt Miller's side quests and/or loyalty missions, you'll pick up a very useful collectible finder. When you're near the collectible item, an icon will appear. I managed to find all the data clusters, statues, text adventures, and audio logs with it, which is no easy task.

The game is pretty bad about just giving you things (like infinite stamina & ammo) and this.

Yeah. I think I might trade 3 and 4 in to defray costs of GTA V when that's out. The story stuff, i.e. getting the Zinyak text adventure and all the "logs" of the various characters was fun, but trying to find where the hell on the map those 10 clusters I can't find are seems like a drag. I enjoyed this while it was new, but the replayability factor just isn't that high. Meanwhile I banged out (no pun intended) Ballad of Gay Tony last weekend, and that's still fun.

If you do Matt Miller's side quests and/or loyalty missions, you'll pick up a very useful collectible finder. When you're near the collectible item, an icon will appear. I managed to find all the data clusters, statues, text adventures, and audio logs with it, which is no easy task. The game is pretty bad about just giving you things (like infinite stamina & ammo) and this. 

Yeah, I got that. That's how the 10 clusters is all I'm missing.

Remember that if you have SR4 on Steam - get the GATV pack today (FREE today only)

All the confused people on Twitter thinking people misspelled Grand Theft Auto is fucking amazing

Oh I know it wasn't - it was more the humor at people not thinking it could be anything.

Especially the ones who saw the Promoted tweet by Saints Row and thought Saints Row were the idiots.

• 1 month later...

It's okay - I still love your Saints Row. Who cares that everyone went with the new hot girl.

I will eventually play you...

Anyway... Enter the Dominatrix is out today

I'm actually far more into SRIII (got it free off PSN) than the new girl right now. Nothing I've seen in GTAV tops the moment when 

Sublime's "What I Got" comes on the radio and my character and Pierce start SINGING ALONG. I howled.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...