DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Spider-Man 3 is a lot better if you skip to next chapter every time you see Kirsten Dunst.

The thing with the end of Matrix 3 is, mankind scorched the sky to prevent the machines using solar power. But at the end, Neo and Trinity fly their ship up above the cloud cover and are in bright sunshine (but they are clearly still in the earth's atmosphere). So clearly there was actually no reason whatsoever for the machines to enslave the human race for use as batteries, when they could have just built towers or airships with solar panels on.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone here listens to the Gentlemen's Guide to Midnite Cinema podcast but everyone should.  As their tag line goes: They bring the class to the trash.  Very nice guys and they cover everything from the Korean New Wave to Eurocrime to Z grade 80s/90s action films.  I created a list that's like the DVDVR 80s project in that I have 125 films (well, there are some trilogies as one entry).  Their wheelhouse usually includes: Charles Bronson, Henry Silva, J&B whiskey, fingerless gloves, half shirts, Canadian Tuxedos, Zubaz pants, fanny packs, metal plated hats, etc.

1.    Rolling Thunder (Ep. 1)

2.    Bittersweet Life (Ep. 2)

3.    Alligator (Ep. 2)

4.    Stone Cold (Ep.3)

5.    Raiders of Atlantis (Ep. 3)

6.    The Fog (Ep. 4)

7.    Turkey Shoot (Ep. 5)

8.    The Longest Yard (Ep. 7)

9.    The Last Dragon (Ep. 7)

10.    Wanted Dead or Alive (Ep. 8)

11.    Cobra (Ep. 9)

12.    The Great Silence (Ep. 11)

13.    Hands of Steel (Ep. 12)

14.    Truck Turner (Ep. 13)

15.    The Big Racket (Ep. 16)

16.    Shotgun Stories (Ep. 19)

17.    The Good, The Bad and The Weird (Ep. 22)

18.    10 to Midnight (Ep. 23)

19.    Cry of a Prostitute (Ep. 23)

20.    Martyrs (Bonus 2)

21.    Vice Squad (Ep. 24)

22.    The Pusher Trilogy (Ep. 26)

23.    Torso (Ep. 28)

24.    Badlands (Ep. 31)

25.    3-Iron (Ep. 33)

26.    The Milieu Trilogy (Ep. 34)

27.    The Penitentiary Trilogy (Ep. 36)

28.    Black Belly of the Tarantula (Ep. 37)

29.    Stabilizer (Ep. 41)

Road House (Ep. 47)

30.    Hanzo the Razor: Sword of Justice (Ep. 48)

31.    Enter the Void (Ep. 49)

32.    The Mad Max Trilogy (Ep. 50)

33.    Surviving Edged Weapons (Ep. 52)

34.    Payday (Ep. 52)

35.    Hammerhead (Ep. 56)

36.    Cruising (Ep. 57)

37.    The Rage (Ep.57)

38.    Hardcore (Ep. 64)

39.    Out for Jusice (Ep. 72)

40.    The Mechanic (Ep. 73)

41.    Nightbeast (Bonus 6/275)

42.    Deadly Prey (Ep. 78)

43.    Rappin (Ep. 80)

44.    Death Rides a Horse (Ep. 80)

45.    Walking Tall (Ep. 81)

46.    Mr. Majestyk (Ep. 81)

47.    Ms. 45 (Ep. 88)

48.    Intrepidos Punks (Ep. 89)

49.    Throne of Blood (Ep. 91)

50.    The Devils (Ep. 93)

51.    Bulletproof (Ep. 99)

52.    The Man With No Name Trilogy (Ep. 100)

53.    Maniac (Ep. 104)

54.    Never Too Young To Die (Ep. 106)

55.    Rolling Vengeance (Ep. 107)

56.    The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Ep. 107)

57.    La Violador Infernale aka The Infernal Rapist (Ep. 110)

58.    Paris, Texas (Ep. 111)

59.    Extreme Prejudice (Ep. 114)

60.    Sorcerer (Ep. 119)

61.    Blue Collar (Ep. 121)

62.    The Killing Zone (Ep. 124)

63.    Night of the Juggler (Ep. 125)

64.    Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (Ep. 127)

65.    Parole Violators (Ep. 136)

66.    Memphis Heat: The True Story of Memphis Wrasslin' (Ep. 159)

67.    Lady Terminator (Ep. 163)

68.    The Exterminator (Ep. 164)

69.    Come and See (Ep. 168)

70.    Terror Express (Ep. 171)

71.    Trained to Kill (Ep. 182)

72.    Drive (Ep. 183)

73.    Maximum Overdrive (Ep. 183)

74.    Raising Arizona (Ep. 187)

75.    Revolt (Ep. 190)

76.    Baba Yaga (Ep. 193)

77.    The Final Score (Ep. 194)

78.    Over the Top (Ep. 195)

79.    The Raid (Ep. 198)

80.    Videodrome (Ep. 198)

81.    The Death Wish Trilogy (Ep. 200)

82.    Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Ep. 207)

83.    The New York Ripper (Ep. 209)

84.    Lady Snowblood (Ep. 211)

85.    Steel Justice (Ep. 214)

86.    Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (Ep. 214)

87.    Miami Connection (Ep. 215)

88.    Rabid Dogs (Ep. 215)

89.    Southern Comfort (Ep. 219)

90.    Samurai Cop (Ep. 228)

91.    Pumping Iron (Ep. 228)

92.    King of the Kickboxers (Ep. 233)

93.    Purple Rain (Ep. 237)

94.    Ninja III: The Domination (Ep. 243)

95.    Kickboxer (Ep. 244)

96.    Electra Glide in Blue (Ep. 246)

97.    Strike Commando (Ep. 249)

98.    Rififi (Ep. 261)

99.    Blue Velvet (Ep. 265)

100.    Assault on Precinct 13 (Ep. 268)

101.    El Topo (Ep. 273)

102.    Frankenhooker (Ep. 273)

103.    Streets of Fire (Ep. 285)

104.    The Indian Runner (Ep. 289)

105.    Jodorowsky's Dune (Ep. 290)

106.    Special Silencers (Ep. 291)

107.    American Hunter (Ep. 291)

108.    Bad Day at Black Rock (Ep. 292)

109.    Bad Education (Ep. 292)

110.    Invasion USA (Ep. 297)

111.    College Kickboxers (Ep. 298)

112.    Nightmare City (Ep. 299)

113.    The Schoolgirls in Peril Trilogy (Ep. 300)

114.    Scanners (Ep. 301)

115.    Point Blank (Ep. 304)

116.    Thief (Ep. 306)

117.    Lethal Force (Ep. 307)

118.    The Maniac Cop Trilogy (Ep. 308)

119.    The Return of the Living Dead (Ep. 309)

120.    The Dance of Reality (Ep. 311)

121.    Eye of the Tiger (Ep. 312)

122.    Cool As Ice (Ep. 313)

123.    Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects (Ep. 314)

124.    I, The Jury (Ep. 314)

125.    White Lightning/Gator (Ep. 315)

I will have to check it out just for the Penitentiary trilogy...man Jamaa Fanaka just does not get enough credit for how batshit insane that series is...

and the oscar goes to...

Transformers4-FYC.jpg

is this something a lot of movies do just for the hell of it or has someone been hitting the bottle a little too hard (and i dont mean drinking, i mean attempting to break it over their head cactus jack style until catastrophic brain injury has occurred)?

I never saw the Artist. But apparently everyone loved it, because it had a dog in it.

That's what people like in movies. Dogs. The Usual Suspects would have made loads more money if they'd included a shot making it clear the dog got off the boat.

• Like 1

The Artist was fascinating when it came out because everyone was going crazy over it due to its nostalgia. Then everyone had to elaborate further as it gained all of its awards buzz. "Fun for nostalgic purposes doesn't mean it's a great movie, guys!"

"Fun for nostalgic purposes doesn't mean it's a great movie, guys!"

Neither does winning an award. There's not a lot of Oscar movies I'd really consider great from the last several years, probably longer than that.

http://defamer.gawker.com/update-came-across-some-new-sorkin-emails-that-show-ju-1669566922?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Best parts:

Aaron Sorkin is a dick and doesn't know who Michael Fassbender is

David Fincher thinks Adam Driver is a terrible choice for Star Wars episode 7.

Angelina Jolie is regarded as a "minimally talented spoiled brat."

I'm not surprised they don't have much faith in Cleopatra. Not sure remaking one of the most famous flops in history is too good an idea. Fincher directing is also a bit of a weird one.

Also, I wish I found Steve Jobs as interesting as Hollywood seems to. 

Transformers 4 was fucking awful, but I fail to see how it would be that much more of a terrible Best Picture winner than The Artist.

You all remember that movie, right?

Sad thing was I thought it was better than Trans2 or 3. . . . 

Yeah, It's funny because you KNOW most movie executives are incompetent fuck ups but these e-mail exchanges prove what we've all been saying for years. At least they had enough sense to NOT go ahead with Cleopatra. Someone said anyone could see it's a bomb from a mile away. I agree with that. Terrible idea.

Are we following this Sony Pictures disaster? Some hilarious PowerPoints out there. By hilarious..I mean funny but also sad. These are supposed to be hundred million dollar movies not a fucking C- high school presentation.

Aside from the truly awful PowerPoints is the confirmation of what we already knew but didn't want to admit:  that movies, which people love and revere as art and can be a huge part of our lives, are just another investment to be focus-grouped, merchandised and micromanaged until they become nothing but lowest-common-denominator revenue generators, no different from Big Macs or 4-ply toilet paper. .  Sure we all knew it was true but god damn, reading some of those slides and analyses was just disheartening.  "Film" and "art" don't mean shit to these guys.  It's all about how we can make our most risk-averse investment and still separate the marks from their money. 

Some gems:

Calculating the "risks" of the "Annie" remake, they actually list "casting apprehension."  OH SHIT THE NEW ANNIE IS BLACK.  HOW IS THAT GOING TO PLAY IN GREEN BAY???

Stressing the need to keep focus off America-centric topics while promoting "White House Down."  White.  House.  Down.

Urging the people making commercials for Elysium to downplay the sociopolitical subtext.  The guy's previous film was a sci-fi retelling of Apartheid.  I think we all knew what we were getting.

• Like 1

Speaking of movies, art, Hollywood "casting apprehensions" and some other stuff you mentioned....Sound On Sight just published this today and I'm really proud of this one: http://www.soundonsight.org/2014-a-year-looking-for-representation-in-cinema/

It started out as a piece about Women in Cinema and how I've seen a ton of great film representing women in front and behind the camera, just not from Hollywood. And I think ultimately we should stop looking for Hollywood to represent us, whether we're gay, black, woman or whatever else. They don't care about representing you, they want you to just be a market to by their shitty stories. Instead we should support the bevy of independent(real indie not Sony Pictures Classics Indie) and world cinema that is actually doing the job.

• Like 5

Speaking of movies, art, Hollywood "casting apprehensions" and some other stuff you mentioned....Sound On Sight just published this today and I'm really proud of this one: http://www.soundonsight.org/2014-a-year-looking-for-representation-in-cinema/

It started out as a piece about Women in Cinema and how I've seen a ton of great film representing women in front and behind the camera, just not from Hollywood. And I think ultimately we should stop looking for Hollywood to represent us, whether we're gay, black, woman or whatever else. They don't care about representing you, they want you to just be a market to by their shitty stories. Instead we should support the bevy of independent(real indie not Sony Pictures Classics Indie) and world cinema that is actually doing the job.

Hey guys, if you haven't yet, share the shit out of Jaedmc's article on your preferred social media. It's a great piece and it's worth supporting.

• Like 2

One from the "Can't believe I haven't previously watched this" file:

The Replacements - Keanu Reeves is Shane Falco, a former college star quarterback who washed out of football after a disastrous showing in the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State.  He and a host of other misfits are recruited to be replacement players when the regular NFL guys go on strike.  What follows is a completely paint-by-numbers sports movie that nevertheless remains entertaining throughout.  There's the obligatory bar fight, the hot girlfriend, the miracle comebacks, the whole ball of wax.  The football scenes themselves are not particularly well-done, consisting entirely of ridiculously over-the-top collisions and tackles, combined with incorrect rules (one scene shows Keanu's team advancing an onside-kick, which you can't do) and stupid timeouts (Keanu's guys call timeout after that on-side kick when the clock would already be stopped), and so on.  Still, this is nice light, easy entertainment.  Keanu is Keanu for 2 hours, there's some funny moments, a hot girl, and football stuff.  Good enough.  6/10.

In all seriousness, those Sony emails are an excellent explanation of how movies have fallen so far behind TV: Movie execs are so obsessed with micro-managing, justifying big budgets and appealing to literally everyone in the world, all we're pretty much left with are bland blockbusters.

Also, I think Angelina Jolie as Cleopatra would probably work as a HBO mini-series or something.  But as a $180 million dollar movie directed by David Fincher? Probably not.  Also, Fincher insisting on putting a Starbucks which played nothing but Trent Reznor in ancient Egypt would be more than a little odd.