DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Invention of Lying: Agreed with most.  Interesting and potentially funny concept; boring execution.

The Prestige: I was okay with the twist at the end except I'd have preferred that it was a mid-movie twist.  I think there's interesting stuff that could be explored with a character willing to do that. 

Way late to this but THE CONJURING is so amazing in so many ways.  

I just wanted an excuse to tell the story that after this film, and your review is as good a point of entry as any, I found one of my Mom's old, slightly frayed-looking childhood dolls in her basement and left it in the backseat of her car, so that she'd get into the car in the morning (She works at like 4am) see the note that said "Miss me?" on the dashboard and turn around to find the doll in the backseat.  This lead to a weeklong back-and-forth of dolls being planted in beds, on kitchen tables, in the bathroom, culminating in me stashing it in one of her dresser drawers and forgetting about it, only for her to turn it up 2-3 weeks later and startle her.  What a collection of assholes we are!

• Like 1

Funny story about The Conjuring: They were originally aiming for a PG13 rating, and you'll notice there's a real lack of bad language or overt violence in the film. Wan thought he'd get that rating no problem, but the MPAA gave the film an R. When he wrote back asking why since he technically obeyed all the rules, the woman said they knew that but it was just too creepy and so it had to be an R.

It's funny I wondered about language right at the end, when the one technician guy walked up to the cop who was holding his own bleeding face flesh and said "So  did a breeze do that to you too?"

And I couldn't fathom how the guy didn't say "Did a bree? Man FUCK YOU I'm FUCKING BLEEDING OUT OF MY FACE AND I HAVE DEMON STUFF ALL INSIDE MY MOUTH and I'm holding my own CHEEK IN A FUCKING KLEENEX!!!!! MAYBE GET ME A BANDAID OR SOMETHING YOU FUCKING GEEK SHIT IF YOU HADN"T SCREAMED OUT TO EVERYONE THE LOCATION OF THAT LITTLE KID WE ALL MIGHT NOT BE BLEEDING OUT OF OUR FUCKING FACES!!!!!!!!GOD MY FACE HURTS SO FUCKING MUCH!!!!!!!!"

But he didn't. 

• Like 2

I just watched Rewind This! and realized two things. 1. There is an existential crisis involving ownership and lack thereof in the world, and 2. All of us posting here are probably a bunch of fucking freaks. Well, I already knew the last one, and completely accept it. 

The other doc I rented, How To Make Money Selling Drugs, told me even more shit I already knew. Sometimes it's nice seeing things that agree with you I guess.

Funny story about The Conjuring: They were originally aiming for a PG13 rating, and you'll notice there's a real lack of bad language or overt violence in the film. Wan thought he'd get that rating no problem, but the MPAA gave the film an R. When he wrote back asking why since he technically obeyed all the rules, the woman said they knew that but it was just too creepy and so it had to be an R.

Baffling.

I watched 'Nebraska' again last night (Great movie!) and was totally mystified that it had an R-Rating.  There's no nudity, one punch, a handful of curse-words (The worst being either "Fuck yourselves" or one muttered "cocksucker") yet somehow it is Rated R?!

I watched Before Midnight recently, and was surprised that it also carried an R rating in the US. Julie Delpy is topless for a few minutes and fuck is used in the sexual sense ("Did you fuck her?") but none of it felt particularly strong to me. The same film is rated 14A in Canada.

The director of The Craft was complaining about that on his commentary track. He went out of his way to avoid nudity or bad language to get a PG13, only to be told that due to the "controversial" subject matter (the occult), it was always getting an R rating. He was annoyed because he would have approached the movie a lot differently if he'd known that was the case.