DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I don't know if he's famous or anything, but the guy who played the butler/concierge on Modern Family last night was so Python-eque and he should get an Emmy for his role.  That was the best MF in a long time.

EDIT: I see his name is Stephen Merchant and he is one of the writers for the Office and Ricky Gervais.  Never saw the Office or reall listened to Gervais, but I will now.  Motherfucker was hilarious.

Edited by MADCAP
  • Like 2

Monk

I was kind of annoyed we didn't get a cameo, actually. The post show was kind of worth watching just for the Ally Sheedy bit. 

Oh shit, how did I miss that?  I lowkey love that they are in the same universe actually.

I'm going back through Breaking Bad now with True Detective still fresh on my mind and...I think Bryan Cranston is the better actor, but it's so close.

I love what McConaughey did on that show, but what Cranston did on BREAKING BAD in general, and that last season in particular, blows him away. With the exception of the very last scene, McConaughey only gets to play one note the whole time. As awesome as it was, it was one note. There's no question Cranston was better.

There's also no question that McConaughey is going to win. He was great, he's a movie star, and probably the hottest one on the planet right now, to boot. It won't even be close.

I hate it for Cranston, but more because he got robbed by Jeff Daniels for THE FUCKING NEWSROOM last year than because McConaughey is undeserving.

• Like 1

Cranston's only hope is that Woody submits as a lead actor, too. Which he should, because he was clearly a co-lead. I doubt many people would vote Woody over McConaughey, but he could Nader enough votes away to allow Cranston to emerge from the Best Actor bloodbath with the trophy.

But I bet HBO will put a lot of pressure on him to submit as a supporting actor.

Of course, the real loser here is GAME OF THRONES. HBO really fucked them with this move.

The best part about the Bob's Burgers thing is Tina is far more fucked up and insane than any Brony or Shimmer creepy ever would be.

• Like 1

Goddammit.

The majority of MLP fans are middle aged women who grew up with it in the '80s.  Bronies are a tiny, tiny part of it.  It'd be like saying the creepy fuckers who go to every Shimmer event represent all wrestling fans.

Making fun of bronies is just another way to disparage something that women can enjoy with their daughters.

This might be the most bizarre response to a Bob's Burgers preview ever.

• Like 1

Of course, the real loser here is GAME OF THRONES. HBO really fucked them with this move.

Does it matter much? Emmys or no, Game of Thrones is going to continue to be tremendously successful.

On another note: So Jon Hamm is never going to win that emmy, is he?

Nope.  Maybe next year for Mad Men's final season, but HBO will probably just cast Daniel Day Lewis or some shit for TD season 2.

There is the rumor that season 2 is suppose to be more female oriented. Is Daniel Day Lewis willing to crossdress for an award?

Nope.  Maybe next year for Mad Men's final season, but HBO will probably just cast Daniel Day Lewis or some shit for TD season 2.

There is the rumor that season 2 is suppose to be more female oriented. Is Daniel Day Lewis willing to crossdress for an award?

He only cares about awards so I'm sure he will.

He could pull it off.

We'll be watching TD and have this nagging feeling that that lady detective looks really, really familiar,  but we can't quite place her. Then-BAM!-we realize it's been Daniel Day Lewis in a wig.

Cranston should win, and McConaughey should burn.  It's war now.  Choose your side carefully.

Also, I'm glad they're bringing back Brooklyn Nine-Nine for a second season.  It might have earned its own DVDVR thread next season.  Big step.

• Like 1