DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

So... everyone else finally gave up on Homeland?  AM I ALL ALONE???

That show should have finished after season 1.

Honestly, any new show that says "from the makers of 24" instantly gets the red flags up these days.

Jon Stewart was sick and couldn't host the Daily Show, so Jason Jones filled in for him. He's not exactly Jon Oliver, but he did alright.

The episode preview last night had Bill O'Reilly as well. So did they call Wyatt at the last minute too? Jason and Sam did a solid job on the two segments. The interview? Not so much. But if Wyatt was a substitute guest, I guess they did fine then. At least Jason didn't get the Albert Brooks-in-Broadcast News flop sweat after he held Wyatt's comedy album backwards.

So... everyone else finally gave up on Homeland?  AM I ALL ALONE???

I finally got around to it last night.  Aside from the fact that Carrie is horrible, it's been pretty uneventful.  Also, I hope "Dad's not helping out with the baby as much as you thought he would" isn't how they write James Rebhorn out of the series for good.  I did like the Quinn as PTSD Zaftig Romeo subplot, though.

Carrie being written as intentionally horrible is pretty much all I wanted out of the show. All of the shit decisions they've made over the years have made her so unlikable.  In previous seasons it felt like the audience were the only people who understood this, but it looks like they are finally figuring it out.

So... everyone else finally gave up on Homeland? AM I ALL ALONE???

That show should have finished after season 1.

Honestly, any new show that says "from the makers of 24" instantly gets the red flags up these days.

For sure. It's easy to say that now, but it was a much better talking point when FSW was saying it... Which was maybe halfway through the first season? I dunno, but I'm sure he is lurking right now yelling "I WAS RIGHT!!" at the computer.

Carrie being written as intentionally horrible is pretty much all I wanted out of the show. All of the shit decisions they've made over the years have made her so unlikable.  In previous seasons it felt like the audience were the only people who understood this, but it looks like they are finally figuring it out.

They even ratcheted the unlikability up a notch with these episodes, with Carrie not giving two fucks about killing civilians, considering drowning her baby and actively searching out jobs in warzones she can just to get as far away from the kid as possible.  Proof of her remorselessness: no Clair Danes Cryface in two straight episodes.  Might have to retire this if it goes on much longer:

31-claire-danes-mask.jpg

• Like 1

I just saw that AMC has abandoned all of their reality programming except TALKING DEAD and COMIC BOOK MEN, canceling everything currently on the air and ceasing development on new shows.

I doubt anyone will miss the KISS arena football show.

Trailer for POWERS, which is Sony's Playstation Network first tv series:

Way too many quick cuts to judge, but it looks different from the books.  Having read some of the series, I don't think they could make a direct-adaptation.  Budget would be too high.  Sony has this show on a budget. 

Sharlito is an odd choice for Christian Walker.

I'm halfway through season 2 of Elementary, and god, it's boring. It's not just because of its procedural format, but the atmosphere is dead silent when they have their conversations. Also, there's no thrill of discovery. It's just them telling each other what they found out. They do all the exciting parts off camera.

It's been tough to keep up with BROOKLYN NINE-NINE with the move to Sunday night, but it's been killer so far this season. The episode with Jake trying to support Terry through his vasectomy might've been the funniest episode they've done.

That said, the Holt/Wuntch dynamic, while hilarious, is eerily similar to the Ron/Tammy1/2/3... dynamic on PARKS, and I'm beginning to suspect Mike Schur has some issues with older women.

Am I the only one who watched The Simpsons crossover with Family Guy. It was pretty good. Some real funny stuff in there. The interactions were all pretty solid. I thought everyone stayed true to character. Some things just didn't fit like Peter harassing Meg or Meg cutting herself but what can you do. Family Guy has never had a heart, really.

Ive watched the first 6eps of Brooklyn Nine Nine and thought it was only fair, barely laughed at any of it. Does it get better?

Also, struggling through s2 of Friday Night Lights, its a bit of a chore but Santiago, Saracen and Riggins have been highlights.

Simpsons/FG crossover got a few mentions several pages back.

I thought it was.... ok.  It was more amusing than a lot of recent FG episodes, but I didn't think it was all that funny (just my opinion).  I liked what they were trying to do - show that the Simpson clan are basically nice people while the Griffins are basically raving sociopaths - but I didn't think the execution produced a funny episode.  I did like Bart and Stewie pal'ing around, and their scenes together pointing out that Bart is nowhere in Stewie's league for bad behavior,

Thought the extended Homer/Peter fight scene at the end was a bit much.  Homer seemed out of place amid the hyperviolence and they've gone to that well one too many times (with the chicken).

I will say that last week's episode of the Simpsons (ep 2 of the new season) was really fun, definitely worth seeking out.  It was... kind of what you'd expect from an ep that featured Parks and Recreation's Nick Offerman (practically playing a version of Ron Swanson, lol) as a guest/