DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I didn't see Mulaney. But I saw a bunch of critic types and the like telling people to stick with it. The first batch of episodes of Seinfeld weren't there yet, either. He's a fantastic stand-up with material that could really translate well to television. That's easier said than done, but I think he's pretty wonderful.

So I hung in there and unfortunately, the season finale of "The Strain" was as much of a clunker as the whole season. I was hoping that it would pick up steam as it went along but the few interesting parts were always short and too far in between. It wasn't as cheesy or boring as "Bitten" but coming from FX, I had higher expectations. I'll probably check out Season 2 for a bit if they're aren't any other good shows on. Should I just read the books while this is on break? Are they worth picking up?

- Eldritch getting angry and throwing the Secretary of Health off the balcony could be seen coming a mile away. I guess we're to assume the city is in too much chaos that people wouldn't notice someone dropping another person off of a building. That being said, it was a pretty funny scene.
- The Master is the most ridiculous looking vampire out of the ones we've seen. Maybe they were trying to give him a creepy clown look? Whatever look they're going for, it's a huge disappointment every time he's on screen.
- Apparently Zach is the new "annoying or stupid" character you'd like to see get clipped since Nora's mother died.

- Unless he was turned differently on the plane, I'm not sure why Bolivar is still dressed in his Goth wig.

Intruders on BBC America is another one that isn't as good as I hoped. Millie Bobby Brown as the 9 year old taken over by the soul of a serial killer is fantastic. If that kid wasn't so good, I doubt I would have watched the show after two episodes.

Bad Judge would be a better show if it was about Mike Judge, playing himself, unable to get recognition for his good work, while he pitches and develops awful TV shows and movies.

• Like 1

Girls, too.

I think a problem with some of those shows is that some comedians are pretty much only charismatic when they're up there telling jokes. Them going about their business isn't that interesting. It was why Eddie Murphy had a film career and Chris Rock could never quite manage it. Murphy is magnetic and charismatic all the time, give Rock a script and tell him do something that doesn't involves a long, hilarious rant and he's lost.

I think a problem with some of those shows is that some comedians are pretty much only charismatic when they're up there telling jokes. Them going about their business isn't that interesting. It was why Eddie Murphy had a film career and Chris Rock could never quite manage it. Murphy is magnetic and charismatic all the time, give Rock a script and tell him do something that doesn't involves a long, hilarious rant and he's lost.

Chris Rock is on par with Eddie if not more hilarious off the cuff. Only Rock could make jokes about getting caught cheating and his entire life almost getting ruined in a non-standup situation. He was so funny about it people eventually forgot about the whole thing. Eddie got caught with a tranny and tried his best to disappear from the public eye for years.

Why do I continue to binge on Parenthood when I loathe nearly every character?  Because you get a scene like Seth leaving birthday cards for his kids for all the ones he missed and the show really works.  

Had no idea that they did a Parenthood TV show back in 1989 right after the movie, only with the actual characters from the movie.  Starred Ed Begley Jr and lasted 12 episodes.

Intruders on BBC America is another one that isn't as good as I hoped. Millie Bobby Brown as the 9 year old taken over by the soul of a serial killer is fantastic. If that kid wasn't so good, I doubt I would have watched the show after two episodes.

I stopped watching Intruders after about 3 episodes because I thought her acting was terrible.  Especially the scenes at the train station and with the woman who picked her up outside of the station.  It was just the way she was trying to sound tough came off too fake.

The Walking Dead has been renewed for another season.  No word yet on The Bridge.

It seems like they (the writers and showrunners) already put a bow on The Bridge. What would they do next? Break Fausto out and spend a whole season on that? When they put him in jail on the finale last week, it felt very underwhelming and a little contrived.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ryan-murphys-american-crime-story-738689?utm_source=twitter

Coming soon: American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson. It's Ryan Murphy's new anthology series where they take a big sensational real life crime and turn into a 9 episode mini-series.

Considering the OJ thing was already a circus, I'm hoping Murphy takes some inspiration from Glee and has him burst into song mid-trial or something.

Louie, Legit and Maron to name three.

Wasnt Legit cancelled?

God fucking dammit. I really fucking hate FXX. What a stupid idea. Legit was great and had a ton of heart. However, when you put that show on a channel no one knows about, of course no one will watch. Same shit with Kamau Bell. My friends were also surprised to find out It's Always Sunny wasn't cancelled and it is instead on FXX.

Fucking Fox. What a stupid idea.

• Like 1

The Walking Dead has been renewed for another season.  No word yet on The Bridge.

It seems like they (the writers and showrunners) already put a bow on The Bridge. What would they do next? Break Fausto out and spend a whole season on that? When they put him in jail on the finale last week, it felt very underwhelming and a little contrived.

Oh yeah, the season finale was definitely underwhelming.  I got the impression it was written like that specifically because they thought it might no be coming back.  

Jon Stewart was sick and couldn't host the Daily Show, so Jason Jones filled in for him. He's not exactly Jon Oliver, but he did alright.