DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Kyle Killen, whose excellent creations “Lone Star” (on Fox) and “Awake” (on NBC) died quick deaths in 2010 and 2012, respectively, now has a 2014 failure in “Mind Games.”

ABC pulled the plug Thursday after just five airings. The Christian Slater vehicle aired in the same Tuesday 10 p.m. that killed “Killer Women” and the unlucky “Lucky 7.” “Mind Games” will be replaced with new episodes of “Wife Swap” and repeats of “Resurrection.”

The cancellation also continues a streak of failed Slater vehicles that began with 2008’s “My Own Worst Enemy” on NBC and continued with 2009’s “The Forgotten” (which aired in ABC’s same 10 p.m. Tuesday timeslot) and 2011’s “Breaking In” on Fox.

“Games” was the lowest-rated non-repeat on broadcast TV last Tuesday:

Christian Slater needs to get onto a CSI/NCIS type franchise or something. He's not that great an actor, but he can play the charismatic smart-ass quite well. A show where he can fully utilize his eyebrows.

I don't know if he's famous or anything, but the guy who played the butler/concierge on Modern Family last night was so Python-eque and he should get an Emmy for his role.  That was the best MF in a long time.

EDIT: I see his name is Stephen Merchant and he is one of the writers for the Office and Ricky Gervais.  Never saw the Office or reall listened to Gervais, but I will now.  Motherfucker was hilarious.

Can't say I agree with you on that, maybe I've just tired on the show, but listening to rich people wine about the good life is tiresome. . .  I guess it was watchable which is all you can hope for anymore. Ty burell and the gay couple are several years past their experation date. . . 

The best part about the Bob's Burgers thing is Tina is far more fucked up and insane than any Brony or Shimmer creepy ever would be.

My wife is a child psychologist.  Lol, the serious conversations we've had about the kids on Bob's Burgers.  Wife wants to believe that Tina will normalize after she matures and her hormone levels normalize, but her professional self doesn't buy that.  Oddly enough, she thinks Louise could grow up as the normal one.  We once had a conversation where she argued that Tina's issues didn't meet the criteria for institutionalization and I quipped "But you'd be ok with it if we threw her in a cave with food and wireless internet and blocked off the only opening with a giant boulder, right?  For the protection of the rest of us?"

She didn't disagree 

Kyle Killen, whose excellent creations “Lone Star” (on Fox) and “Awake” (on NBC) died quick deaths in 2010 and 2012, respectively, now has a 2014 failure in “Mind Games.”

ABC pulled the plug Thursday after just five airings. The Christian Slater vehicle aired in the same Tuesday 10 p.m. that killed “Killer Women” and the unlucky “Lucky 7.” “Mind Games” will be replaced with new episodes of “Wife Swap” and repeats of “Resurrection.”

The cancellation also continues a streak of failed Slater vehicles that began with 2008’s “My Own Worst Enemy” on NBC and continued with 2009’s “The Forgotten” (which aired in ABC’s same 10 p.m. Tuesday timeslot) and 2011’s “Breaking In” on Fox.

Christian Slater needs to get onto a CSI/NCIS type franchise or something. He's not that great an actor, but he can play the charismatic smart-ass quite well. A show where he can fully utilize his eyebrows.

Can he do a really terrible New Orlean accent.  I kinda liked the setup and characters they introduced in this week's NCIS (backdoor pilot for the New Orleans spinoff), but the accents really got to me.  Scott Bakula's was comically bad.

Haven't watched Mind Games yet (still going to watch the episodes already aired via Comcast on Demand), but it at least looked better than Slater's other two series.  And Believe and Lone Star both looked really promising.  Unfortunately, the promos for Mind Games also made it look like the sort of show that would get canceled after... oh.... five episodes.

Winona Ryder seems to be another faded 90s star that's not doing much. Put her and Slater in a cop show together as partners who solve crimes. And they have a gruff captain who's constantly asking what their damage is.

Can he do a really terrible New Orlean accent.  I kinda liked the setup and characters they introduced in this week's NCIS (backdoor pilot for the New Orleans spinoff), but the accents really got to me.  Scott Bakula's was comically bad.

Haven't watched Mind Games yet (still going to watch the episodes already aired via Comcast on Demand), but it at least looked better than Slater's other two series.  And Believe and Lone Star both looked really promising.  Unfortunately, the promos for Mind Games also made it look like the sort of show that would get canceled after... oh.... five episodes.

I accept Bakula's character as a transplant to New Orleans who has picked up an inconsistent accent which comes and goes depending on who he is talking to.

Winona Ryder seems to be another faded 90s star that's not doing much. Put her and Slater in a cop show together as partners who solve crimes. And they have a gruff captain who's constantly asking what their damage is.

Six episodes max before the network pulls the plug. . . 

I accept Bakula's character as a transplant to New Orleans who has picked up an inconsistent accent which comes and goes depending on who he is talking to.

Cut the guy some slack. He spent years jumping back and forth through time, from one location to another. He's bound to have an inconsistent accent.

• Like 5

Winona Ryder seems to be another faded 90s star that's not doing much. Put her and Slater in a cop show together as partners who solve crimes.

Sounds like you're trying to pitch season 2 of True Detective.  The creator did hint at female leads next season...

The whole thing with that is that he's jumped into someone in New Orleans and is still trying to figure out the accent. 

Anyone have thoughts on Believe or Crisis?

I have been watching Crisis but have no idea what to think of it.  It's pretty bland, but it may get better once things get more fleshed out.  I just don't know how they are going to stretch this out for multiple seasons.  With Game of Thrones coming back Sunday and Turn debuting on AMC along with Blacklist, SHIELD, Resurrection and others and binging on Community and True Detective it may just fall to the wayside.