DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

After Aziz's bit about USA Network shows, I can't look at any of those shows the same way again.

Related note, I saw Aziz live a couple weeks ago and was sad that there were no new Harris bits, but the entire hour plus was really good new material.

Like any pop culture phenomenon, A&E went overboard with the SW coverage.  One version was enough, and they had the right mix of characters.  SW: Texas was OK but nothing great (the Lesa/Jerry Driving Miss Daisy relationship was a head-scratcher and Moe was creepy) and SW: NYC was just pretty bad.

Another thing that didn't help was Mark Balelo's s suicide.

This isn't part of a series or at least I can't think of where to fit this guy.  He's not an old guy.  He wasn't in PIRANHA.  Maybe something like:

AWESOME SCENERY CHEWING NEW YORK ACTORS RANDOMLY APPEARING IN EPISODES OF LAW AND ORDER:

Apparently there's this actor named Kevin Conway and he's AMAZING.  I'm watching a typically shoddy freudian D'Onofrio episode of  CRIMINAL INTENT (not a knock...I like the easy psych 101 parlor mystery nature of the show).

But this week's scenery chewer is a guy named Kevin Conway who chomps like every new York Dramatic Workshop actor you've ever imagined.  He's doing, like if Orson Welles swallowed James Lipton. 

Frank_Mc_Nare.jpg

It is magnificent.  The confidence of it.  When the two cops first went to talk to him he just strolled past them like he forgot his blocking and then wheeled and turned toward them like the Bride of Frankenstein.  He completely stole the scene and that's with D'Onofrio already doing his lurch act.

D'Onofrio is about to do his interrogation of him and between the two of them I'm in raptures.

But I don't know this guy.  It says in IMDB he was in a few episodes of OZ and he was in THE QUICK AND THE DEAD.and OHMYGODTHERE'S AGIF OFHIMMAAAAAAHHHHHCTING!!!

5txnd5.gif

Are you not hypnotized?  The practiced relaxation of the shoulders.  The slightly weird head-bob...just enough to throw you off.    His eyes make three separate stops because he wants you to see the machinery of his brain working.

I love this man.  He seems like the coolest dude. HOLY JESUS HE WAS THE FREAK SHOW BARKER IN FUNHOUSE!!

3540_6929.gif

I am now sinking deeper into this guy's stuff and OHMYFUCKING GOD THE VILLAGE FUCKING VOICR HIRED HIM TO READ THESE RIDICULOUAS LITTLE MINI SCENES ABOUT NEW YOUK++++++

YOU GET TO SEE HIM ACT!!!!!!  Do you want to be an actor?  Watch this guy.  When you can do a flawless impression of him, then AND ONLY THEN will I let you work on that scene from THE APARTMENT.

Also, apparently, lose the top three buttons on your shirt.

I was wondering, in this Golden Age of TV, there's obviously stuff you're not going to get around to watching, unless you never sleep and spend 24 hours a day on Netflix (that may apply to someone, I don't know), so what are the great shows you just haven't gotten around to watching yet, and why?

My list:

The Wire. Looks too depressing, I've never liked these ultra-realistic, slice-of-life shows much, to be honest. .

Game of Thrones.  I think I'll get around to it eventually, but I never liked LOTR or the fantasy genre in general.

Orange is the Black. Just doesn't look like something I'd like.

The Walking Dead: Never been a fan of the zombie genre. 

Good topic...Hm...

I watched the first episode of EASTBOUND & DOWN, and I doubt I'll ever watch another. Comedy is such a unique taste, and everyone has those guys that everybdy else loves but you can't stand. Danny McBride is one of those guys for me. I can deal with him in small doses (was fine with him in THIS IS THE END), but the idea of spending something like 15 hours with him doesn't appeal to me at all.

I've only seen a random sampling of SIX FEET UNDER. I'd be interested in giving it a go, but TV just keeps coming out with stuff that I happen to be more interested in, and down the bench it slides.

Oh! I almost forgot FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. That's the big fish that's still out there for me.

I think my problem is that, being from the South, I know way too many actual guys who are exactly like that one character Danny McBride plays in everything. And, trust me, it's not all fun and games when they really exist. Everyday I want to bludgeon them with their own truck nuts.

• Like 1

I think my problem is that, being from the South, I know way too many actual guys who are exactly like that one character Danny McBride plays in everything. And, trust me, it's not all fun and games when they really exist. Everyday I want to bludgeon them with their own truck nuts.

Do you know any super erudite ones like Boyd Crowder?

Do you know any super erudite ones like Boyd Crowder?

You mean besides myself?

I tried Eastbound for a few episodes, but didn't do it for me either. I'll echo the sentiment that McBride is fine in small doses, but the thought of whole seasons with him is beyond my tolerance.

To add to this list:

- The Wire

- The Shield

- 6 Feet Under

- Homeland

- Justified

- House of Cards

Seen Game of Thrones here and there. I too have never been into the fantasy genre (never saw ANY of the LOTRs), so I don't feel particularly compelled to engage in this one. Plus, you know, TrueBlood4Life.

OH SNAP. Like I said, I've seen one episdode of E&D. I made the truck nuts reference offhand because it's emblematic of that certain type of Southern gentleman I was speaking of. So I just googled "Kenny Powers truck nuts" to see if I might have accidentally hit on something, and, hey, what's that hanging off the trailer hitch on his truck...

get-my-truck-back.png

I know this man, and hate him.

The Wire. Looks too depressing, I've never liked these ultra-realistic, slice-of-life shows much, to be honest. .

Game of Thrones.  I think I'll get around to it eventually, but I never liked LOTR or the fantasy genre in general.

"Too real."

"Too fake."

• Like 5

You know there is some sort of middle ground between "grim, depressing look at urban life" and "CGI'd to the point even Gandalf's beard is probably fake"*

*I don't know if Gandalf's beard was faked. I assume not.

I tried Eastbound for a few episodes, but didn't do it for me either. I'll echo the sentiment that McBride is fine in small doses, but the thought of whole seasons with him is beyond my tolerance.

To add to this list:

- The Wire

- The Shield

- 6 Feet Under

- Homeland

- Justified

- House of Cards

Seen Game of Thrones here and there. I too have never been into the fantasy genre (never saw ANY of the LOTRs), so I don't feel particularly compelled to engage in this one. Plus, you know, TrueBlood4Life.

I wouldn't call Homeland a great TV show.

It had a truly amazing first season, then became a shell of itself.