DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Any of you that are comedy fans are sleeping on that new Comedy Central show, Review. Very stoked to see Andy Daly finally have a starring vehicle, and he frigging goes for it. It's a very dark and sometimes morbid show, but oh man, it mines so much laughter and goodness out of those dark places, with last night's episode being an insane half-hour of making me cringe and then the cringing descending into damn-near uncontrollable giggling and laughter.

• Like 1

I feel like this doesn't bode well for the quality of the show. They spent years trying to get it on the air at FX, but now they're giving up and making it original content for a video game console? Makes me feel like it's not going to be very good.

God just dumped a bucket of likes on this thread because of the Wonderfalls discussion.

I bought the Collectors DVD set for my girlfriend last Christmas because we love the show and it's not available online anywhere.  Came with a little disfigured lion figurine that still sits right in front of my TV.  In the middle of the night I'm pretty sure I've seen him come to life, stare at me disapprovingly, whisper "Hmmmm" and freeze again to perpetually judge me from his perch.

• Like 1

Any of you that are comedy fans are sleeping on that new Comedy Central show, Review. Very stoked to see Andy Daly finally have a starring vehicle, and he frigging goes for it. It's a very dark and sometimes morbid show, but oh man, it mines so much laughter and goodness out of those dark places, with last night's episode being an insane half-hour of making me cringe and then the cringing descending into damn-near uncontrollable giggling and laughter.

AUUUGH.  I keep forgetting about this.  Daly is my #1 favorite guy to listen to on podcasts right now.  Even his "regular" voice is funny...to the point where just hearing him read the Benobos commercials is funny.

God just dumped a bucket of likes on this thread because of the Wonderfalls discussion.

I bought the Collectors DVD set for my girlfriend last Christmas because we love the show and it's not available online anywhere.  Came with a little disfigured lion figurine that still sits right in front of my TV.  In the middle of the night I'm pretty sure I've seen him come to life, stare at me disapprovingly, whisper "Hmmmm" and freeze again to perpetually judge me from his perch.

IT ACTUALLY COMES WITH SMOOSHED-FACE LION???? I thought I was just making that up?

I am so on my way to Suncoast. 

I just need to stop at Babbages for some floppies and grab some fries at Burger Chef first.

• Like 1

AUUUGH.  I keep forgetting about this.  Daly is my #1 favorite guy to listen to on podcasts right now.  Even his "regular" voice is funny...to the point where just hearing him read the Benobos commercials is funny.

IT ACTUALLY COMES WITH SMOOSHED-FACE LION???? I thought I was just making that up?

I am so on my way to Suncoast. 

I just need to stop at Babbages for some floppies and grab some fries at Burger Chef first.

F41158FF-E037-4256-9463-34A8824DD29C.jpg

• Like 2

I have to say that my mind boggles a bit at the lack of Person of Interest talk on here. It seems like it checks so many of the boxes that would resonate here.

Its even weirder when you consider most of who watch do like the show going off the rare times we discuss it.

USA Network is getting rid of Psych, Burn Notice, and White Collar(it's getting 6 final episodes to wrap things up).  Interesting.

I want to see the USA Network change things up and go outside of their show formulas, but I doubt their new generation of shows are going to steer too far outside of their box.

White Collar is a bit surprising but all of those USA shows more than ran their course. It seems to me like USA shows really should only have a shelf life for 4 seasons, 5 at the absolute most, because the premise for a lot of them gets beaten into the ground. Burn Notice went way too long and every season of White Collar has boiled down to "Peter doesn't trust Neal, Neal saves the day, Peter still doesn't trust Neal" in the end. USA shows tend to start really fun and good but by the end they're just tedious.

I love Suits but it's only in what, it's 3rd season, and the premise with Mike gets worse and more absurd as more people find out.

Are they still running with the "WHAT IF THEY FIND OUT HE DOESNT HAVE A HARVARD LAW DEGREE..dun dun DUN?!" thing on Suits?  I don't follow it, but I'm seen enough episodes to realize that the expiration date on that particular plot point is long past due.

I can watch an episode of USA Network shows like Psych, Burn Notice, White Collar, and Suits on a Sunday afternoon and be perfectly content.  While watching them,  I won't know what season any of them are on or the current storylines.  I can usually just drop in and understand most of what is going on.  Those shows are not terrible to me, but I don't feel the need to follow any of them.  They usually maintain their status quo.

So I'm looking at the current patch of USA network shows running right now.  Graceland and Suits will keep the Burn Notice/White Collar spirit alive.  They must be making mint off of Royal Pains because that show has been on since 2009 and they've already renewed it for two more seasons.  Jeez, I don't get that one.  Covert Affairs is still going too, but I bet they'll wrap it up after another season or two.

Yeah, I see they have a couple of new comedies and a reality show about an obnoxious rich family.  I guess it's different from their normal case-of-the-week occupational shows, but I was hoping for another different.

Edited by _MJ_

I watched a few episodes of Burn Notice for the first time this afternoon.  It wasn't bad, almost like a modern day A-Team with some MacGyver influence in there too.  It was entertaining enough but seemed to have a formula with a pretty short shelf life.  It's one of those shows I could probably watch out of boredom if it was on.

I have to say that my mind boggles a bit at the lack of Person of Interest talk on here. It seems like it checks so many of the boxes that would resonate here.

Its even weirder when you consider most of who watch do like the show going off the rare times we discuss it.

It's one of my favorite shows on tv right now.  They've done an amazing job of keeping the overarching storyline intriguing without making it utterly convoluted and still keeping plenty of room for speculation.  The character development is also top notch.