DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

And I guess this could go in the "surprising credits" thread but wiki'ed the actor who plays Cullen Bohannon and he played opposite Brittney Spears in Crossroads and they even won Teen Choice Award for Best Chemistry.

And I guess this could go in the "surprising credits" thread but wiki'ed the actor who plays Cullen Bohannon and he played opposite Brittney Spears in Crossroads and they even won Teen Choice Award for Best Chemistry.

Chemistry doesn't always create something good, I guess.

Just ask Walter White.

• Like 2

Just ask Walter White.

Speaking of which, I started Breaking Bad last week and am just starting the 2nd season.

Anyone still watching Dracula?  I stuck with it through Friday's season finale, but... Hannibal it's not. 

I feel like I should like it more.  It's well staged, well acted, extremely well plotted, reasonably well-written and it attempts to do something different.  Staging a character-driven period drama that focuses more on political/corporate intrigue is a gamble, and deserve some consideration for not pitching the show as "Twilight - the TV" or an update of the Anne Rice books.  And most of the cast, while attractive, at least don't look like they could get work as catalog underwear models.

That said, I found most of the season dull.  It seems like very little happened until the season finale.  The finale had lots of intriguing developments, but I don't know that I care about any of the characters enough to really appreciate the plot twists.  The big weakness of the show is making the characters interesting.  Most of them are fairly one-dimensional.  Dracula himself is probably the only character I thought was well drawn.

I'll probably watch S2 if it gets renewed, but I won't miss it much if it gets canceled.

Wish we didn't have to wait 5 weeks for Hannibal.  Guess we can blame the Olympics for that.

Back on the HANNIBAL tip...

I really liked how Jack Crawford's character comes into focus in episodes 5-7 of the first season. Up until that point, he had been a pretty standard mentor/authority figure archetype - you know, the exact sort of role Laurence Fishbhurne has been playing in his sleep (sometimes seemingly quite literally) ever since the MATRIX movies. But once we meet his wife and delve into his history with Miriam Lass and the Chesapeake Ripper, he becomes a really strong character in his own right, at once a guy you feel sad for but also one who is kinda ruthless. You realize he will use anybody to close a case, and even if he isn't consciously aware of it, he's willing to sacrifice Will's emotional well-being if he can use him to get to the Ripper.

Suddenly, he gets real interesting, because even though he's still solidly one of the good guys, it makes him a danger to the hero.

Finally finished up Friday Night Lights, what an amazing ride it was. Worth every bit of hype it was given, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new show to watch or is on the fence about whether or not to check it out. So I need a new show, only catch is it has to be on Netflix. Help?

• Like 2

Check out Parenthood, it's pretty good plus its from the same showrunner as FNL and he brings in some of FNL's stars for guest arcs including Minka Kelly (Lyla Garrity), Michael B. Jordan (Vince),  Matt Lauria (Luke), and  Jurnee Smollett-Bell (Jess). First four seasons are on Netflix.

Finally finished up Friday Night Lights, what an amazing ride it was. Worth every bit of hype it was given, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new show to watch or is on the fence about whether or not to check it out.

Another convert!  I am so glad I listened to people on here and finally checked it out.  Amazing show, easily in the top 3 I've ever seen.  Highly recommended!

• Like 1

According to Uproxx(some site) these are the 25 best shows you can stream on Netflix(in descending order): Parenthood, Raising Hope, New Girl, Terriers, Better Off Ted, Sons of Anarchy, Bob's Burgers, House of Cards, Parks and Rec, The Office, Luther, Buffy, Dr. Who, West Wing, 30 Rock, Scrubs, Orange is the New Black, Mad Men, Archer, Freaks and Geeks/Undeclared, Arrested Development, Sherlock, Friday Night Lights, Louie, Breaking Bad.

25 others they listed(alphabetical order): Alias, Awake, Battlestar Galactica, Cheers, Childrens Hospital, Damages, Dexter, Don't Trust The Bitch In Apartment 23, Frasier, Fringe, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The League, Longmire, Lost, My Name Is Earl, Portlandia, Psych, Scandal, Sleeper Cell, Top Of The Lake, The Walking Dead, The Wonder Years, The X-Files.

Your mileage may extremely vary.