DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

They'll slowly add content. There will already be a ton of stuff to watch at launch, they'll add content later on to keep it fresh. Someone asked me earlier if they would have WCW Thunder. Maybe one day..

WWE's smart.  They're not going to offer everything at first.  Get people hooked at $9.99, and when the next 6 month period comes up, raise prices to around $14.99 (which would still be a good price) with the addition of more content.  WWE probably has enough in the back library to keep adding new content every 6 months for the next few years.

• Like 1

I look forward to watching old school territory rasslin until my eyeballs fall out. And oh yeah, they have live PPVs as well.

But this was a brilliant move for WWE as in one swoop they bypassed every hurdle we ever said they'd have to launching a network. Clearance, advertisers, package placement,etc. Using the Netflix/Hulu model is where it's at right now in programming anyway.

RAW and Smackdown replays are fine by me because I work evenings and don't get home until they're over. I also skip commercials to make the show go faster and FF anything I find boring or uninteresting.

The fascinating thing about the WWE Network to me is how (or if) independent wrestling in the United States is going to react/adapt to this seismic shift. If WWE is offering any and all wrestling your heart desires for $10/month, it makes it that much more difficult or off-putting to sell $20 DVDs for shows or put on $15 iPPVs that may or may not work. 

Either independent wrestling needs to create their own Netflix type service, indy promotions will be forced to run more often to truly recreate territories to come anywhere close to creating a viable catalog offering to provide the IndyFlix type service, or do their damndest to try and become a Class A or Double A affiliate to NXT's AAA for WWE and get eyeballs on your promotion that way. 

Couple of questions for those in the know:

How will PPV's work internationally now? If I don't sign up to the 'Network' can I still order a PPV here and there through my cable subscriber?

Will this mean I now have to hook up my laptop to the TV to watch Raw/SD etc every week or will they still have TV deals in place for this?

Im not a huge net user on anything other than my phone and the PC at work. I have a tablet and Laptop with a portable wifi modem on a nice cheap deal and I really dont want to have to pay for a top end cable internet contract to keep watching week to week.

It's my understanding that ppvs will still be available the traditional way for now.  It would make sense, just because there are still alot of people who buy these things that have no idea how to work all this streaming shit, I'm sure.  As for you watching the content, you will have alot of ways.  Yeah, you could conceivably just run an HDMI from your computer to the tv, but if you have a Roku, or a PS3 or Xbox 360, you can go that way.  I'm sure it will be available on smart TV's in due time.

As others mentioned, Raw and SD won't be live on the service.

Edit: Oh, and this.

1521526_10152155442438838_1029654342_n.j

• Like 2

How will PPV's work internationally now? If I don't sign up to the 'Network' can I still order a PPV here and there through my cable subscriber?

Will this mean I now have to hook up my laptop to the TV to watch Raw/SD etc every week or will they still have TV deals in place for this?

Im not a huge net user on anything other than my phone and the PC at work. I have a tablet and Laptop with a portable wifi modem on a nice cheap deal and I really dont want to have to pay for a top end cable internet contract to keep watching week to week.

If you have a Playstation 3 or 4 or an Xbox 360 you could use any of those to watch it. Aside from that you could buy a Roku. They're 50-100 bucks on amazon depending on the model.

WWE has a FAQ on their website that answers a lot of the things we've been discussing. Some will find this interesting:

26. Will all content on WWE Network be PG?
WWE Network will contain a range of programming suitable for various audiences.  Content rated TV-14 or TV-MA will be preceded by appropriate advisory messages recommending viewer discretion.  Parental controls will be available for on-demand content.

27. Can I set up parental controls on the WWE Network?
Yes, parents will have the ability to block content that is rated TV-14 and TV-MA for on-demand content only.  Viewer discretion is advised for live 24/7 streaming programming.

A toast to the toughest damn person in wrestling history.

I will never, ever get over the story about her threatening to kick Bubba Ray's ass backstage if he ever protected her on a powerbomb again.  In her fucking 70's.

• Like 1

It's my understanding that ppvs will still be available the traditional way for now.  It would make sense, just because there are still alot of people who buy these things that have no idea how to work all this streaming shit, I'm sure. 

I'm glad someone else mentioned this specifically. Like someone else asked, I too wondered if actual PPVs would be dunzo and that is not the case. They'll still build towards their PPV event in their WWE ways. They'll certainly simultaneously push the WWEFLIX (and that's now been adopted into record). I'm curious what changes, if any, we will see in terms of the way they do TV. 

I'd suspect this will lead to WWE content on actual Netflix and Hulu/Hulu+ drying up as those licenses end. Now that WWE is in the streaming game like Netflix and Hulu they are going to want exclusive rights on as much of their content for their own network, and I doubt Netflix and/or Hulu is wanting to invest more money on something that's non-exclusive. We've seen how much attention Netflix has received from their own "(Original) Exclusive Series," and half of Hulu+'s commercials are for their own exclusive series. I'm sure the special 90-min action packed edition of RAW looked very attractive as exclusively on Hulu+ to both Hulu (looking for exclusive content) and WWE (not having it's own streaming option) at the time. Sidebar: I hope they keep producing a 90-min version of RAW. 

Cubbymark brought up the indies which I think is a fair and realistic discussion. I don't buy indy wrestling DVDs, but doesn't smart mark video offer an on-demand service or at least a digital delivery option? There is that in terms of keeping up with the digital age and eliminating the need for physical DVDs. Price point could be an issue because $10-$15+ for an indy IPPV/DVD vs. $10 for an ENTIRE MONTH of WWE Network seems like a hard sell for the indies. A realistic option could be to try and get on Netflix and Hulu. There's a bunch of random/old stuff on Hulu including LuchaLIbre USA and some other stuff and isn't there a Legends Return indy show on Netflix with Nash? I'd say most indies would need to up their production values, but those are certainly options for them.  

Are the PPV's gonna be streaming live in HD as part of your $10? I fear that ether they'll be SD, or worse, you won't be able to watch them until the next day.

Basically, this whole thing sounds too good to be true and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Are the PPV's gonna be streaming live in HD as part of your $10? I fear that ether they'll be SD, or worse, you won't be able to watch them until the next day.

Basically, this whole thing sounds too good to be true and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

FAQ says all programming will be available in HD. "Available" sounds so vague here. We know HD versions of everything are AVAILABLE, but they always have a premium cost involved. 

It also says content will be available immediately after it airs, so it seems that would eliminate any kind of waiting period or DVD sales window. 

As NXT is half the reason I have Hulu+. this'll basically replace it for me.

Yeah - in scrolling through everything, this was the biggest question I had.

Because since NXT is the only thing I watch on Hulu+ - I am thinking this will just be a straight swap for me.

(Plus since I just got suckered into doing Amazon Prime for the year - I am thinking anything I could have potentially wanted to watch on Hulu will be on Prime)

A toast to the toughest damn person in wrestling history.

I will never, ever get over the story about her threatening to kick Bubba Ray's ass backstage if he ever protected her on a powerbomb again. In her fucking 70's.

I'll always remember that spot just for the quick little squeeze she gave his hand after he hit it- I immediately figured it was code that she was fine. Such a tremendous spot.

Okay is it safe to assume that if you get a system that already has stuff like Netflix or Hulu Plus that it would have the network?  I still can't figure if I should buy a Roku which I know will have it or get an "smart" blu ray player with all the internet toys included. 

I doubt the fans that order Indies ppvs and dvds even watch the current WWE product to care about the network. Plus, if they want old stuff they would just continue to use youtube or torrent sites. Since WWE is streaming, this will make things much more easier and faster to BOOTLEG.

And folks, other than the LIVE ppvs this is really no different from WWE On Demand. I don't expect a lot of subscribers.

@RealKingRegal: Great news about the #WWENetwork.I filmed the other day for a documentary about me and the evolution of my character from "Lord"till now.

Double sold.

The network is such a non-brained, but this is pretty amazing. When I got classics on demand I just stopped buying any DVD releases and suck. Classics on demand is so awesome. This sounds so great. I'm in at launch.

I'm glad to see everyone excited about this.

My casual fan friends have been texting me all morning about the network and they are probably as excited as I am.

The real surprising thing to me is my friends whom are local indy guys who have become "upset" with the buisness are even excited about this announcement.