DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

Sorry, was putting the baby to sleep. So yeah, the monthly PPVs are now no longer shows that they expect people to dump fifty or sixty or whatever a month on. It's part of a ten dollar a month deal that they're not just expecting but encouraging their fanbase to commit to. Now factor in how important the new tv contract upcoming is to them.

Something's going to give. That's all I'm saying. I'm curious what Jae had in mind.

I'm curious to see what you have in mind?

No wonder you can't figure out character development in WWE characters without them shoving it down your throat. What do they teach kids today? Suddenly PPV become a hell of a lot less important as something to get people to drop 55 dollars at a time on. Maybe TV ratings are a lot more important instead depending on the contract and when everything comes up. I think they were likening themselves to NASCAR and that sort of money would be a huge increase over what they're getting now. 

I would actually chalk it up to the WWE doing their damdest to see something out out of the PPV/Library.  Yeah they're getting Classics On Demand money, but part of that goes to the cable provider.  This all goes in Vince's pockets.  How many people don't drop the $50plus for the monthy PPV's and go to the numerous LiveStream sites that are around?  How many people watch old shit on YouTube that gets around the auto-copyrighter instead of paying for COD?

Now WWE puts out a service that streams to about any mobile device as well as game consoles and PC's, displays in 720p minumum, and for $10 a month.  $10 a month per person pure profit will likely cancel out how much they were losing to YouTube and LiveSteams.

I'm sold on this.  If there was ever a case of "Shut up and take my money!" this would be it.  The price of two PPVs is great, but all that content past that?  AND all the WWF/E, WCW, and ECW PPVs?  Oh, sweet jeebus that's awesome.  I'll be lucky if I catch anything outside of wrestling at this point.

Sorry, was putting the baby to sleep. So yeah, the monthly PPVs are now no longer shows that they expect people to dump fifty or sixty or whatever a month on. It's part of a ten dollar a month deal that they're not just expecting but encouraging their fanbase to commit to. Now factor in how important the new tv contract upcoming is to them.

Something's going to give. That's all I'm saying. I'm curious what Jae had in mind.

No wonder you can't figure out character development in WWE characters without them shoving it down your throat. What do they teach kids today? Suddenly PPV become a hell of a lot less important as something to get people to drop 55 dollars at a time on. Maybe TV ratings are a lot more important instead depending on the contract and when everything comes up. I think they were likening themselves to NASCAR and that sort of money would be a huge increase over what they're getting now.

No, now they need to convert 200k people paying 60$ into 1.2m people paying 10. They're going to need to differentiate the two products significantly.

Also add in that if WWE came up with anything about this setup original and got to patent it, if this works, expect at least MMA and Boxing to potentially follow suit, and that's more money.

No, now they need to convert 200k people paying 60$ into 1.2m people paying 10. They're going to need to differentiate the two products significantly.

Then we get better PPVs!

What the hell, I'll take that too. 

Its gonna be *way* easier to get 1.2M paying $10.  This might also toss out the buyrate arguments, as we'll get closer to real view numbers as opposed to the numbers being skewed by LiveStreams.  Not saying this is a LiveStream killer, but it's as close as you can get.

I've given WWE less than a hundred bucks over the last 5 years. This is gonna get me to give them $120/year basically forever.

And that's the goal.  The most they got out of me in  years was my $75 ticket to WrestleMania.  I watch the PPV's, but over friends houses who get them.  Now they have the same $120 from me, and everyone else who gets it, and they're not splitting that with providers.  Its all theirs*

*Yes, I know they're paying a Hosting Company(or MLB.tv) for the infrastructure.  But that's not budgeted off the $10 sub fees for the Network.  That's in another budget.

As NXT is half the reason I have Hulu+. this'll basically replace it for me.

NXT is on free Hulu.

Or it is until it isn't.

Free Hulu won't work on consoles/tablets/Chromecast/SmarTV's, just PC's.  Need Hulu+ for those.

This is just about as expensive as the NHL Gamecenter.

I told my wife about this. Here were her questions:

"So it's like the NHL thing?"

"Yes."

"Will Emma be on it?"

"Yes."

"What about that creepy guy who talks shit really well?"

"Dean Ambrose?"

"Yeah! I like him. Will Dubby Rose be on it?"

"Yes honey, Dusty will be on it."

"Sounds cool."

I love my wife.

• Like 7

This is just about as expensive as the NHL Gamecenter.

I told my wife about this. Here were her questions:

"So it's like the NHL thing?"

"Yes."

"Will Emma be on it?"

"Yes."

"What about that creepy guy who talks shit really well?"

"Dean Ambrose?"

"Yeah! I like him. Will Dubby Rose be on it?"

"Yes honey, Dusty will be on it."

"Sounds cool."

I love my wife.

You're a very blessed man.