DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Ah awesome, I'm eager to read your adventures. I played tons and tons of hours of Fallout 2 when I was 14-16. Mucho fun.

I'm through Klamath and The Den so far, and currently on my way to Vault City. I can see why it has a huge rep among PC game fans. It's basically so far more of the good things about Fallout 1 and a lot less of the bad things (followers are much better fleshed out, STORES RESTOCK, so far at least I get the impression the towns have more to do). Playing the Good Guy the first time through but another thing that changed is, boy, there's a lot more dickface dialogue options if you want to go that path. I can totally see doing the evil playthrough in this one with the ever-loved non-canon story:

"Listen, none of us actually believed that Chosen One crap. We just thought he was a dickface. We made it up and told him that story just to get him to leave so the village could have some peace and quiet. Then it turned out he actually WAS the Chosen One."

We were shocked. And afraid."

The game world feels a lot bigger, though whether that is true or not I guess remains to be seen. But it sure looks like it is. I haven't figured out how to fix the car yet so I'm guessing I probably have to just keep going and I'll stumble onto a part eventually. Also I'm betting I should probably come back later and waste that slaver ring when I have guns that go boom and some power armor instead of just a handgun.

Golden Geckos beat my ass a lot when the game started but now I have some backup and a magnum and now... not so much.

Also, text based craps. I bet THAT is pretty fucking muddling to people that don't understand the rules. Too bad for them.

Those street kids that can steal your shit in The Den are the worst. Stick to robbing the drug addicts, you little swine. Also in a related note, the Den is a shithole. Jabba the Hutt would think that place was filthy.

Anyway so far really loving it. Can definitely see why it has a rep as a PC classic. It's a great game world, and the second game seems to be much better executed than the first which I still liked. Thus far it's been one of those things I don't really want to put down.

• Like 1

Sleeping Dogs is your Free XBox Game of the Month for January if you have a Gold membership.

I always enjoy how you hate my posts from two pages ago.

And Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is the Free Game starting Jan 16 (which is what I couldn't remember last night)

Sleeping Dogs is your Free XBox Game of the Month for January if you have a Gold membership.

I always enjoy how you hate my posts from two pages ago.

And Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is the Free Game starting Jan 16 (which is what I couldn't remember last night)

This is because I am lazy and dumb.  You already know that.

I bought Disgaea D2 over the weekend.  I can confirm that it is, indeed, more Disgaea.  I have no idea why I bought it since I haven't even beat 4 yet.  The graphics are real purty, though.

• Like 1

For the two guys who own a Wii U, do they ever have good sales on the eShop?

I'd really like to buy Eartbound, but those suckers want ten bucks for a SNES game.

Is there any chance they might put it on sale one day?

For the two guys who own a Wii U, do they ever have good sales on the eShop?

I'd really like to buy Eartbound, but those suckers want ten bucks for a SNES game.

Is there any chance they might put it on sale one day?

they've been doing sales recently, but it's been the most well known stuff. a few weeks ago, the 2 NES Zelda games were on sale, and a week or two ago is was some NES Mario games. so i wouldn't hold my breath.

The virtual console stuff barely went down a dollar and a half on those character sales. They didn't really even include every game available for each series. Once I got a classic controller, I ended up getting way more shit on the old Wii eshop. Link to the past was free, Mario RPG I got right before amazon started charging taxes, then I got stupid and got Paper Mario and Mario 64. It's still insane that I can't just use the gamepad as a classic controller for those games. I got toki tori 1 and 2 relatively cheap (for the eshop). Then, Crimson Shroud and Steamworld Dig were cheap and I got those on 3DS. Mainly though, I need to get an external HDD for my Wii U. I only want to get like 250 gigs but those are more expensive than higher capacity drives. If I understand it correctly the Wii U will format the HDD and lock it down so you can't partition off most of the drive without a complete reformat. Even then it doesn't seem that great since shit will still be way more expensive digitally. Early titles like ZombiU are discounted but an actual physical copy is still way cheaper. On the other side of the coin, I'd like to get a Vita because there's a ton of old PS1 games and different shit at good prices. Then I look at how much the goddamned memory card costs. Bottom line: Fuck the police.

• Like 3

Eshop prices are too steep for me to stock up on Neo Geo games like I want to, but it's hard to argue with Iwata's stance that sales devalue games when I'd never buy a PC game that wasn't on sale and most of the eshop complaints come in the form 'how come I have to pay [price of a small round of drinks/tiny fraction of new game price] for [timeless masterpiece.]' I've seen people argue Super Mario Bros should be public domain just because for some other companies selling rom bundles for $1.50 is the only way to generate revenue from their old shit people don't want any more.

I'm sorry, I don't really use the Wii U shop.  The Wii U is more of my stepkid's machine - I don't use it much so I didn't know about sales, which they NEVER had on the Wii.

The Virtual Console is an excellent idea - I sunk way more into it on the Wii versus retail games - but some things that I would like improved

Variable pricing - no way should Urban Champion cost as much as Super Mario Bros

Reduced pricing - Neo Geo games shouldn't cost almost twice as much as they do on other services like PSN

More/better sales - Nintendo should really be expected to have their flagship titles on sale, but maybe on some of the lesser known titles

Demos - Even if they're just limited timed ones, especially for more expensive titles

Bundling - say if you buy the new Mario game, you get the VC version of SMB for free.  This would be an excellent way to promote the service.

Anyway, I beat Medal of Honor Warfighter.  Totally generic besides the seemingly large part of the game that is driving.  Also the last level is very glitchy.  I kept getting killed at one point because there was a guy with an RPG that kept respawning.  Not even interested enough to try the multiplayer, even if the servers are still up.  It's getting added to the trade in pile.

Now on to Battlefield 4, which seems pretty fun so far.  Also still taking the occasional stab at Hotline Miami, and I think I'm finally getting the hang of the game.  Trying to get to level 50 in GTA Online but it is taking forever.

Incidentally, Assassin's Creed Libertation HD for the PS3 came out yesterday.  Debating whether to drop the $20 on it but will definitely get it someday.  Anybody heard anything about the quality of the PS3 version?

Incidentally, Assassin's Creed Libertation HD for the PS3 came out yesterday.  Debating whether to drop the $20 on it but will definitely get it someday.  Anybody heard anything about the quality of the PS3 version?

It's a pretty bad port. It managed to look worse than Assassin's Creed 1 on the Xbox 360.

I'm really, really terrible at video games.  

I've been walking around exploring in Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds for the last two hours unable to figure out what the hell I need to do to get to certain areas I need to get to.  Eventually I check a walk through, because I'm weak willed, and it turns out I bought the Smooth Gem I needed in the village 2 hours ago and just blanked that that was what I needed.

I need to learn to save at better points so this doesn't happen more.

Been playing just a ton of Fallout 2. Sooooo much bigger than the first game. I found the GECK, but now I'm off chasing south to (I guess) San Francisco.

Random things I have done that come to mind: Got the car, got my car stolen, paid the bastard to get it back, stole my money back from him, got some fake citizenship papers, killed a few gangsters, stopped a reactor meltdown, blew up a wild west town outhouse and covered half a town in poop, found a cure for Jet addiction, rescued a kid that didn't really need rescuing, rescued another one that did, shot some more gangsters, met some friendly talking scorpions, reloaded if I ran into an Enclave patrol becuz lasers, saved pretty much everyone I met from devastation except the one village I was supposed to save.

Still haven't found power armor so clearly I have missed a bunch of stuff. Using a combat shotgun and a sniper rifle, Sulik is rocking the .223 pistol, and I have Vic with an assault rifle but it's starting to suck now. I only have charisma 4 so that's all the followers I can drag around. I have 125% skill in small guns and like 6% in heavy guns and energy weapons because I took the Gifted trait (along with Fast Shot, which is really badass). Something tells me this may be a problem soon.

The car being called a Highwayman makes me think of that weird ass song song where Willie Nelson gets hung and Johnny Cash becomes a raindrop.

This game is so, so good. Totally worthy of its classic status. Just such a great game world, and so much more fleshed out than the first game which feels almost skeletal compared to this one.

• Like 1

Finished AC: revelations.

Really good story, marred by a fucking boring city.

I'd have put money on Suleiman joining the creed by the end levels though.

Good to see the altair and ezio stories end.

Now its either mass effect trilogy or lego marvel.

I've gotten the hang of A Link Between Worlds now.  Completed a couple dungeons last night.  Fairly challenging and a lot of fun but I agree with everyone whose said it's a little weird having every tool you need at your disposal right away (by the time the shop opened, I had more than enough Rupees to rent everything).