DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Steam has a section of free to play games. Loadout looks okayish, War Thunder was fun from the little I played, and my friends are obsessed with League of Legends but I don't get that shit or DOTA 2. 

B'oh, how could I forget Team Fortress 2?

• Like 1

Steam has a section of free to play games. Loadout looks okayish, War Thunder was fun from the little I played, and my friends are obsessed with League of Legends but I don't get that shit or DOTA 2. 

Skip Shitty Marvel Diablo.  It's free, but it's a rotten game that I still inexplicably play about 3-4 hrs per week.  (But hey, I got Moon Knight for free.  So there's that.)

for Free to Play stuff, Team Fortress 2 is still the truth. I've heard a lot of good things about Warframe and Path of Exile, but those aren't really my kind of games. I would offer to jump you into League but I burned the bridge between me and my old team of regulars and I feel so much better without the game in my life. So I guess don't do that.

MOBAs in general make me crazy.  I tried to jump into Infinite Crisis, on the grounds that something just starting its open beta would have to be a little more newbie-friendly than League or DotA2, but I think it's just a genre that is incompatible with my biology.  That said, I've got friends who are scary hardcore and swear that one or the other of the established games in the genre is pure joy if you're willing to put the time and effort into it.

Warframe isn't half bad, but I only know the PS4 version.  It feels like it has SERIOUS BUSINESS potential that hasn't been reached yet in that console.

Skip Shitty Marvel Diablo. It's free, but it's a rotten game that I still inexplicably play about 3-4 hrs per week. (But hey, I got Moon Knight for free. So there's that.)

Not gonna happen. I'm a big Marvel guy. It's the biggest reason I bought the PC. Plus, everyone else has told me the game has made massive improvements over the past 6 months and is great now.

So I just ordered my first ever "gaming" PC. I've never gotten into PC games before because the hardware gives me a headache, but I'm gonna give this whole thing a shot. The primary reason I got it is for Marvel Heroes. But after that, are there any other F2P games I should check out?

A few of us play Path of Exile, which is a great Diablo clone for free on Steam.

I also already play Warframe on PS4.

Is Warframe worth checking out? I've never bothered to download it.

Sony's F2P PS+ March game proved to have the worst controls (Dead Nation or whatever it was caled).

I also already play Warframe on PS4.

Is Warframe worth checking out? I've never bothered to download it.

Sony's F2P PS+ March game proved to have the worst controls (Dead Nation or whatever it was caled).

Yeah, it's fun. Not amazing, but it's a good time. However, earning anything without spending real money is way too hard, so you may just wanna do what I did: drop $60 and get a few guns and characters you want.

Oh yeah as far as free goes, if you enjoyed Diablo II/III, Path of Exile is really as good as a free game is going to be. The only reason I forgot to mention it is, honestly, the quality is a cut above most free games and you forget it actually is one.

There are purchasables in the game but they're all cosmetic stuff, aside from extra stash space (which unless you play religiously honestly I don't think is that big a deal). It's a good policy I wish more games had the courage to follow.

• Like 1

Oh shit, I forgot about PlanetSide 2! That's f2p, right?

Plus, as a big fan of KOTOR, I should probably give The Old Republic a spin. At least through the story.

Old Republic is fine, just realize that you have to play it like a MMO at times (grinding, eq switching, selling off junk).  However, its probably the least restrictive MMO in terms of F2P.  All the story content is available, its really just perks and shit.  

The Jedi Knight storyline is basically KOTOR 3.  Sith Warrior is the bad side and good.  Everything else is kinda there, although Jedi Shadow (Consular's adanced class) is pretty damn fun to play.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where ipad game discussion goes but I'm putting this here: my board game obsession has taken me to playing the following.

Small World: kinda like Risk with tons more strategy mixed with fantasy races included. Having tons of fun with this one.

Forbidden Island: A highly challenging game, you are attempting to find 4 ancient artifacts of a an island that is sinking. Fun as all hell.

Pandemic: you are a group of scientists trying to stop 4 major disease outbreaks all over the world. If Forbidden Island is difficult, this is almost impossible. Still fun as hell.

Ok I will be trying all of these.

God fucking dammit Microsoft

It would be really fucking nice if this god damn Xbox Live update would actually download so I can fucking game tonight

• Like 1

So, Merc Kings after about 90 minutes of play:

1) It feels weird to talk about a game that's been out for PC for nearly a year like it's new, but I'm not sure if anyone but BL88 played the PC version.  I waited specifically because I knew I'd be getting a PS4 around the time it came out.

2) I am really bad at this. It never feels like it's cheating, it just feels like I suck.  Took me four tries to pass the first non-tutorial mission.

3) Online is going to be crazy chaotic. I hope you can unlock other PC models, because if everyone has to be either King or Empress it's going to be obnoxious to my shitty colorblind eyes.

Generally, it's fun so far but I don't know if I'm going to pump a billion hours into it like I did Tribute's prior games.  I am kind of looking forward to taking it online.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where ipad game discussion goes but I'm putting this here: my board game obsession has taken me to playing the following.

Small World: kinda like Risk with tons more strategy mixed with fantasy races included. Having tons of fun with this one.

Forbidden Island: A highly challenging game, you are attempting to find 4 ancient artifacts of a an island that is sinking. Fun as all hell.

Pandemic: you are a group of scientists trying to stop 4 major disease outbreaks all over the world. If Forbidden Island is difficult, this is almost impossible. Still fun as hell.

Ok I will be trying all of these.

I'd suggest looking up TableTop on YouTube if you want to get a good sense for the games. There are videos on all 3.

Just to let you know, on May 31st, 2014 Gamespy's servers will be going down forever.

What does this mean? A LOT of multiplayer games (and trophies/achievements/communities) will be gone forever. Potentially Rockstar Games' multiplayer (such as GTAIV and RDR) will be affected although IGN claims they have 'sources' that say otherwise. Until Rockstar officially says something, I am going to act on the assumption that they will be gone. Also, Battlefield Bad Company 2 may lose their multiplayer too.

Sadly, that will be what will kill this past/current generation: loss of multiplayer support due to server shutdowns.