DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I am getting a jump on these threads as I am going to the in-laws soon to celebrate New Year's and will be back sometime tomorrow.

Thanks to Christmas gifts to both me and my son my rotation at the moment is

Mass Effect 3

Grand Theft Auto IV

Batman Arkham Origins

Lego Marvel

I am getting a jump on these threads as I am going to the in-laws soon to celebrate New Year's and will be back sometime tomorrow.

Mass Effect 3

Grand Theft Auto IV

Batman Arkham Origins

Lego Marvel

You're depriving us of drunk Rippa attempts to make 2014 threads because it's after midnight and annoyed that people are still posting in the 2013 versions, and that makes me sad.

Yeah - I think you fail to realize that my night goes like this

- Set alarm for 11:55 pm

- Fall asleep at 10 pm

- Wake up at 11:55 pm

- Celebrate New Year's with rest of family

- Go back to sleep at 12:10 AM

• Like 2

Had 5 of my nephews over for an all-night gaming binge last night.  12-1/2 hours of gaming on 2 systems.  YEAH, BABY.

Played a few games I hadn't previously tried:

Fight Night Champion - Fun game but definitely some stuff about it that didn't make any sense, the stamina gauge especially.  Throw a few punches in the first couple seconds of a fight and you're completely gassed?  Makes no sense.  Also some of the KOs we had just didn't make any sense.  Tyson hits Butterbean square in the mush wth 3 straight huge uppercuts and he doesn't go down?  But Tyson gets hit with one and he's dunzo?  Yeah, no.

EA MMA - Also lots of fun.  Not quite understanding the right way to do submissions but there at least seems to be a method to how they're done.  That said, I twice tried to apply a submission (with Fedor) after knocking a guy down and getting his back and then raining down punches.  Twice I could have thrown 2 or 3 more punches and ended the fight and instead wanted to try a submission.  And both times it didn't even TRY to do the submission - I just ended up with nothing.  And both times ended up KO'ed.  That said, my VERY FIRST fight was against my nephew who'd just KO'ed his brother and was talking trash.  I took Fedor and one-punch-KO'ed him in the first 5 seconds.  THAT was cool.

Borderlands 2 - I liked the first game and this one seems like it would be pretty good too but.......... I dunno, I felt like I didn't quite know what I was supposed to be doing and how to improve, etc.  We were doing split-screen co-op, FWIW.  And whoever decided that there should be a few hours of gameplay on a frigging glacier should be shot.  "Hey, look, more snow and ice.  That'll be AWESOME and not at all visually bland and boring!!!!"

Hot Shots Golf - My nephew wanted to play Tiger Woods 13.  I wanted to try this instead.  So we did a 4-player match.  Fun game, kinda like a Mario Golf or Wii Golf or something.  We all ended up around 35 over par for 18 holes but had a great time doing it. 

We also played some NBA Jam: On Fire Edition.  I took the Celtics.  My nephew foolishly took the Heat.  I dominated.

That was all on my PS3.  The 360 my nephew brought was kept occupied with Halo 1 and Halo 4.  They seemed to have a great time with those, too.  I didn't partake.

Lots of junk food, lots of trash talk, lots of laughs and staying up til 4:30am.  PERFECT.

• Like 1

Mass Effect 3

Grand Theft Auto IV

Batman Arkham Origins

Lego Marvel

I got Grand Theft Auto V and Lego Marvel Super Heroes for Christmas with WWE '14. Played little Grand Theft Auto V and none of Lego Marvel yet.

Had 5 of my nephews over for an all-night gaming binge last night.  12-1/2 hours of gaming on 2 systems.  YEAH, BABY.

EA MMA - Also lots of fun.  Not quite understanding the right way to do submissions but there at least seems to be a method to how they're done.  That said, I twice tried to apply a submission (with Fedor) after knocking a guy down and getting his back and then raining down punches.  Twice I could have thrown 2 or 3 more punches and ended the fight and instead wanted to try a submission.  And both times it didn't even TRY to do the submission - I just ended up with nothing.  And both times ended up KO'ed.  That said, my VERY FIRST fight was against my nephew who'd just KO'ed his brother and was talking trash.  I took Fedor and one-punch-KO'ed him in the first 5 seconds.  THAT was cool.

Still the best ever MMA game. Are you having trouble with choke submissions or joint submissions? I'm guessing it's the former as you either liked or didn't like the system. I use the controllers vibrations to let me know about how I'm doing with chokes and if the screen zooms in, you've got the advantage. The reason why your attempts at submitting a rocked fighter is because you can't do them. The only choke you can do when you have the opponent's back is the rear naked. Good job with the one punch KO! Hope my advice helps.

• Like 1

Right now I'm doing an online league on Madden 25 with some buddies and we fantasy drafted our teams. To keep things separate I'm the Browns and Jimmy Johnson is head coach.

Rotating that with COD Ghosts and NBA 2k14 on ps4 and minecraft on PC.

I just bought a desktop that's fairly decently spec'd for gaming and thought about getting into some stuff on PC for the first time. Any suggestions on games?

Fight Night Champion - Fun game but definitely some stuff about it that didn't make any sense, the stamina gauge especially.  Throw a few punches in the first couple seconds of a fight and you're completely gassed?  Makes no sense.  Also some of the KOs we had just didn't make any sense.  Tyson hits Butterbean square in the mush wth 3 straight huge uppercuts and he doesn't go down?  But Tyson gets hit with one and he's dunzo?  Yeah, no.

Borderlands 2 - I liked the first game and this one seems like it would be pretty good too but.......... I dunno, I felt like I didn't quite know what I was supposed to be doing and how to improve, etc.  We were doing split-screen co-op, FWIW.  And whoever decided that there should be a few hours of gameplay on a frigging glacier should be shot.  "Hey, look, more snow and ice.  That'll be AWESOME and not at all visually bland and boring!!!!"

The stamina gauge in Fight Night Champion was not always like it is now.  It was changed in an update well after release and I think it breaks the game more than it improves it.  I am a more defensive fighter and I couldn't fight to a decision if I wanted to because by the fifth or six round the computer is out of stamina and I knock them out.  It makes no difference if your fighting in amateur or greatest of all time.  I like the change as it differentiates the fighters but I think they over did it by a lot.

I have spent most of my holiday vacation playing Borderlands 2 from PS+.  The game is never going to wow you with story, but once you get to Sanctuary, things do pick up.  I enjoy it just as much as I do the original even though the better loot seems harder to come by this time.  I finished the main story and ordered the GOTY edition so I'm gonna work on the DLC now that things have gotten a bit tougher in the second playthrough.

I tried both LOTR:Online and DDO.  LOTR just didn't do it for me, and DDO's ok, but repetitive as all hell, and its paywall is apparent pretty quick.  That and both seem to crash on me quite often, no matter what I do with my graphics settings.

I wanted to try Neverwinter and Star Trek Online, but Perfect World has absolute shit launchers that took me a while to get to work, and I'm computer litterite, and even then, the damn things crash on boot.

So I went back to SW:TOR for my MMOing because Starfighter PvP combat is launching soon, and sure enough, it works perfectly with no issues.  Rolled a new character to see if I want to keep playing and resub before I commit any money to it, and I don't want to spend hours re-equiping my old characters that have gear that's restricted due to not being a sub anymore.  Especially since its all stuff I need to remod (all my shit on my Jedi and Sith mains were loaded out with purple mods and gear, which I can't use as a non-paying player).

Star Trek Online I tried so very hard to like but MMOs have, you know MMO characteristics that make it impossible for me in the long term. It's always about adding (new fleet grinding) instead of (new interesting thing and stopping development long enough to patch). There are things about it I love, but after a few months it felt too much like work and not enough like play.

I've sort of given up on the genre.

Star Wars at least has a fleshed out story for its 8 main classes (side effect of starting out as KotOR 3) so unlike the usual grind it out nonsense, there's a story progression that's front and center.  Most of the super grindy stuff is optional, so it has that going for it.

That said, its F2P model is the most restrictive of the MMO's, but it *is* possible to complete a class' story line solo just on F2P, although it'll take a bit of grinding in the last 5 levels or so (since F2P has an XP penalty)

Right now I'm doing an online league on Madden 25 with some buddies and we fantasy drafted our teams. To keep things separate I'm the Browns and Jimmy Johnson is head coach.

Rotating that with COD Ghosts and NBA 2k14 on ps4 and minecraft on PC.

I just bought a desktop that's fairly decently spec'd for gaming and thought about getting into some stuff on PC for the first time. Any suggestions on games?

Don't Starve is usually cheap on Steam, Gone Home too, Civ V, Skyrim with mods, and Crusader Kings II (with or without the awesome Game of Thrones mod). Skryim modded is the only graphic intensive game of the bunch.

I bought Project Zomboid at the onset of the Steam holiday sale. I know there are billions of zombie games and it's in early development, but I really enjoyed it as a neat throwback and it has a tonne of potential.

edit: Ah, and Mark of the Ninja is $3 on Steam and Don't Starve is $5.09. Tomb Raider is going to be 80% off ($10) in a li'l bit.

Star Wars at least has a fleshed out story for its 8 main classes (side effect of starting out as KotOR 3) so unlike the usual grind it out nonsense, there's a story progression that's front and center.  Most of the super grindy stuff is optional, so it has that going for it.

That said, its F2P model is the most restrictive of the MMO's, but it *is* possible to complete a class' story line solo just on F2P, although it'll take a bit of grinding in the last 5 levels or so (since F2P has an XP penalty)

There's literally nothing in STO you can't get other than a couple of Lifetime Subscriber perks through regular play, so their "paywalls" are pretty mild. But it's a hell of a lot of time, of course.

I did buy a shit ton of Romulan goodies when that came out, and I enjoyed those new missions, but after that I was done with it.

I finished up TOMB RAIDER today, and, man, I was impressed. It's derivative, sure, but also immensely playable. I think I was most impressed with how well layed out for collectible hunting all the areas were. It was extremely convenient, the polar opposite of the colossal chore it was in ARKHAM ORIGINS.

Not really a serious gamer, but there are a number of older games I've never played that I want to finish in 2014.  Just bought a Nintendo 64 and Super NES.  Still acquiring games and seeing what's what, but I've got a game of Donkey Kong 64 started, so I'll probably try to play through that in January.

Also, I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to swim to the bottom of the pool in that F***ing barrel training session this morning, so I've got to have something to show for that.

Later in the year, planning to play through the SNES Donkey Kong Country games, Mario 64, the n64 Zelda games, and maybe one or two other n64 platformers,.

Also planning to tackle Final Fantasy IX on the PS1 before too long.

Been playing Shin Gundam Musou (the Japanese version of Dynasty Warriors Gundam).  Outside of my continued dislike of the movie version of Zeta and the shafting of Double Zeta, I'm really enjoying the game, even if it's basically the same gameplay as the previous Gundam Musou games.

As an aside, is there anyone else who plays imports still on here? 

Been playing Shin Gundam Musou (the Japanese version of Dynasty Warriors Gundam).  Outside of my continued dislike of the movie version of Zeta and the shafting of Double Zeta, I'm really enjoying the game, even if it's basically the same gameplay as the previous Gundam Musou games.

As an aside, is there anyone else who plays imports still on here? 

I play imports some. I got a few region free Japanese Xbox 360 shmups like DoDonPachi Resurrection & Mushihimesama Futari 1.5. I should be getting Ryo Ga Gotaku 5 (Yakuza 5) from Play Asia soon and I'm wanting to get Gundam Extreme Vs. and Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra as well.

I really think it's bullshit that multiplayer trophies are tied to the platinum trophies. I mean, it makes sense for some games (COD, Battlefield, the like), but for most games...come on. Let me get a platinum without suffering through your half-assed attempt to cash in on the multiplayer craze.

• Like 2

Don't Starve is ridiculously good and addictive. Cool subtle and not-so-subtle things begin to happen as you slowly lose your mind and there is a real sense of dread about dying in the game much like Dark Souls.