DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I've only played about 2 hours of Mordor, but in those 2 hours I found myself just hunting Orcs. I did one story mission during all that time. Love how an orc ranks up and gets more powerful if he kills you. I went on grudge hunts about 5 times trying to take them down. It was great. 

Destiny gets most of my time now and I'm almost done with my second play through of Evil Within, but I figure I'll go back to Mordor in a week. 

How is Evil Within? Many places have it for a lower price and I have a few birthday gift cards burning a hole  my pocket....

I've only played about 2 hours of Mordor, but in those 2 hours I found myself just hunting Orcs. I did one story mission during all that time. Love how an orc ranks up and gets more powerful if he kills you. I went on grudge hunts about 5 times trying to take them down. It was great. 

Destiny gets most of my time now and I'm almost done with my second play through of Evil Within, but I figure I'll go back to Mordor in a week. 

How is Evil Within? Many places have it for a lower price and I have a few birthday gift cards burning a hole  my pocket....

Once you get past the first two chapters, the game opens up (supposedly). I'm still stuck there because the game gives you virtually no clues as to what to do.

Funny thing about this, for me anyway, is that I've actually written my own - very playable, thank you - version of Tetris that runs just fine.  On 10-year old PCs.  So I know how freaking easy that game is to code, relatively speaking.  I think this is just hilarious.

Oddly enough, I was just playing Tetris on my PS3 last week and was wondering when we'd see a PS4 version.  Had no idea one was coming nor that it would be out yesterday.

IGN's Game of the Year nominees:

-Child of Light

-Hearthstone

-Dragon Age: Inquisition

-Super Smash Bros for Wii U

-Shovel Knight

-Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

-Transistor

-South Park: The Stick of Truth

-Sunset Overdrive

-Bayonetta 2

My personal picks would be either Smash Bros or Sunset Overdrive.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Volgarr the Viking should be on there.  The game is so hard, but it's still fun and you feel like a boss when you beat a level. 

So since me participating in a ballot thing would basically be "here's about ten games no one has played or will play," here are about ten games no one has played or will play that I was quite fond of.

10. MARIO GOLF WORLD TOUR, which went through the motions but I was down for it this time.

9. FRACT OSC, which is a puzzle game about someone who got asked "what is it like to make music" too many times.

8. LEGEND OF GRIMROCK II, which I didn't finish because I am scared of oversized bugs.

7. THE FALL EPISODE 1, which is Flashback with a story worth a dang.
6. THREES!, which makes me smile every time the blocks say hello.
5. SUPER SMASH BROS FOR 3DS, which is about trophies and the acquisition of them.
4. LUFTRAUSERS, which is a game about feeling like pressing buttons harder makes you do better.
3. THE TALOS PRINCIPLE, which I am not finished with and completely in love with.
2. KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO ACT 3, which finishes an incredibly bleak mid-story twist with the single best visual gag a game has managed in over a decade.
1. TOMODACHI LIFE, because I bought a 3DSXL to play it so it kind of has to be #1 just on an "investment in to investment returned" scale.

When I'm done with THE TALOS PRINCIPLE I'll have a lot to say about it. For now I'll say "if you think you might like this but think $40 is a little steep, do not fear."

For shit that came out this year, Mordor has to be #1 this year for me due to the sheer fact that I actually beat it.  I have more hours in on Dragon Age but am probably only 20% through the game.  Playing a lot of Far Cry 4 when I only have 2-3 hours to waste.  Mario Kart and Donkey Kong TF just didn't keep me playing.  I mean, I never really liked any of the Mario Karts that much.  Donkey Kong should've hooked me more that it did.  Still holding off on Smash Bros, Captain Toad and Bayonetta 2. I wanna swoop in when I can get a cheap brand new boxed copy right before they go OOP and start rising. What's crazy is I love my fucking Wii U.  I just never seem to consistently play it.  I'll get hot on something and play a shitload, then go 3 months without even turning it on.  I pre-ordered a Mega Man amiibo because you fucking know that shit ain't going to last forever.  Even though I know that the functionality of those toys is negligible at best.

Biggest disappointment was the new Thief game.  Hews too close to the Deadly Shadows formula of small levels and a basically pointless city. The side jobs were the only things that retained a bit of the old Thief humor.  Also don't love all the animation priority in it.  Every single thing that would've been a fluid, instantaneous action before is now an overwrought mess. Stupid window opening and narrow space QTEs that mask loading times get my blood aflutter. It never makes me think it's worthwhile to really scour a room looking for a secret switch.  Something I really hate is when you are exploring and find a hidden passage then automatically get locked out of the earlier part of the level.

Whatever.  The Dark Mod exists therefore it doesn't really matter.

My personal GOTY is probably Mordor, inFamous: SS, DKC: Tropical Freeze, or Child of Light. I'd have Civilization: Beyond Earth in the mix too, even though whenever I play it, I realize that I'd rather be playing Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire, so I boot that up instead eventually.

This was a weak year for video games. I guess that's why I'm playing so much N64 lately. 

Speaking of the N64, I'm revisiting Super Mario 64 right now, and it aged so poorly, probably more so than any other game I can think of from that era...and it's still fun despite the somewhat broken camera system and controls. I don't think Mario ever got exploration exactly right in the way that Super Mario 64 gets it. Even back in the day when it came out...nearly twenty years ago? Man, I'm old. Anyway, even back in the day, I really thought that it was overrated because of the camera issues and some control issues, but playing now, I can see the charm and why this game is so enduring. I think these N64 3D platformers are the perfect example of why 2D platformers are just intrinsically better games, though. 

Since this year I pretty much turned into a trophy hunter and didn't actually play that much, my list is very small.

But it would include:

1) Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare - Best multiplayer shooter since CounterStrike IMO.

2) TxK - Tempest on the Vita, what more do you need?

3) Velocity 2X - I need to play more of this over the Christmas break. Very addictive.

4) The Binding of Isaac Rebirth - PS+ free game and extremely great. I still haven't finished it, but I want to.

Hopefully, I'll get to CounterSpy, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, and Transistor during the next two weeks.

My top 5:

1) Distant Worlds: Universe

2) Endless Legend

3) Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

4) Divinity: Original Sin

5) Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Wasteland 2 and Dragon Age both get incompletes since I haven't played enough of them.  Worst new game I played this year was Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.  It wasn't exactly bad, but it was buggy and kinda boring and I only played 8 new games this year.

EDIT: I forgot, I also played The Last Federation, which was bad, but was at least bad in interesting ways.

Eh, PoE is fine if you want to play more Diablo 2, which I really, really don't.  Diablo 3 on console is the most fun I've had playing local co-op.  It's definitely got some fiddly bits w/r/t endgame, but I've had a ton of fun with it.