DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

You're thinking of Heavy Rain.

Alpha Protocol was an attempt to make a James Bond-type espionage game with the Mass Effect engine, but it failed massively from a technical standpoint.

Then why did J.T. like it so much?*

*I'm "getting him started on it".

I never liked it.

I was excited about the concept and completely let down by the game.  It was an Obi-Wan / Vader level of betrayal going on.

Just reached 100% on Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and what's the reward for achieving 100% in an extremely hard game like that?

Well, Extra Hard mode is unlocked, in which you can play the whole game again with only one heart, one character and no safe points. Screw that!

Man, Nintendo really likes to torture their fans sometimes. I'm moving on to Pikmin 3.

So, is the internet being ironic with its love for Alpha Protocol or what? This is not a very good game.

Do not get me started on the shittyness of Alpha Protocol.

Yeah, the good thing for the two of you is that on the Internet, you're allowed to be wrong. Completely, utterly and totally wrong in fact.

The pain meds have made you so delusional.  AP is complete rubbish.

So just to say I'd done it, I spent 30 minutes streaming my Infamous game through Twitch today.  I realized AFTERWARD that, while I had "include microphone audio" checked on the PS4, I had my mic muted.  Oops.  I may or may not do it again; I'm under no delusion that anyone is watching, but the idea amuses me.

I agree with what's been said about AP so will only mention that I also just don't like the way the shooting feels, even with plenty of points poured into pistols.

But, I started a new TEW13 game with a 2001 scenario with everyone's potential turned to random. I added a created British touring fed in which I've added a ton of the popular early 2000s indy guys, the better British workers and some ECW cast-offs. And the ECW influence is rubbing off since some dude pleased the locker room by bringing in a shit ton of alcohol. I hope it effects the show tbh.

SO what is the cost on the new TEW and where are some good mod sites ? I would research more but i'm presently at work. I had the old EWR and the early TEW and I'm looking to start up again.

It's still $35. Adam still patches the game even two years after its release, so that's pretty cool. I'd imagine his new game for this year would be the next TEW, but that's just my guess/hope. I'm starting to feel like he's pushed the current coding/style of the game to its limits and to really get a whole lot more out of a new release would mean moving away from Visual Basic to something a bit more complex. I don't know if Adam's up for that and I'd imagine we'd lose a tonne of features if that were the case to but maybe that's what is needed for the series to evolve. Many of the desired features for old territory-based mods can't really be that accurate without traveling champions and other features.

The Greydog Software forums are where you can find the majority of mods and latest releases, but there's this place for archiving of older mods: http://www.ewwarehouse.info/. If you're looking to play a modern day mod, the Real World Chronicles is the most balanced by far, but Cpt. Charisma's mods have way more depth and are probably pretty easy to play. For my money, the two best mods are the '91 and '94 ones. The '04 mod that is in the beta stages and is about to have its first finalized version released shortly is looking pretty damn good too. I find most of the other real world mods imbalanced one way or another (too generous with ratings or the reactionary too harsh with ratings). The default C-Verse is a great way of learning the game's mechanics, though.

The 91 mod is the best mod, yeah. Real detail into each promotion, the stats are nice and realistic across the board and most importantly, things actually happen in the game world. By that, I mean there's title changes, roster upheavals and guys getting pushes in promotions that aren't your own. There must be some way to actually make that happen when creating the mod because so many of them fail at it.

I was just playing some pro clubs on FIFA with my buddy against a team that had a guy with the PSN mark_WSM_henry. So when I scored 2 late goals to win the game 2-1, needless to say, I messaged him to say "that's what I DO!"

Nintendo can eat a dick for ending all the internet/wi-fi services for all the non-3DS & WiiU stuff.

It's bad enough that every time my son realizes he won't be able to battle his friends anymore in the like 812334 Pokemon games but I had to deal with ANOTHER meltdown this morning when we discovered that they already closed Pokemon Dream World down

I honestly think if my son hadn't just gotten Super Smash Brothers Brawl for himself - I would hurl my Wii out the window.

Fucking everything

• Like 1

That's one of the downsides of Nintendo's low cost entry approach - no one chucks their PS3 out the window when servers are closed because it's too expensive and they've usually got months left on their PSN sub.

I'm not sure where ipad game discussion goes but I'm putting this here: my board game obsession has taken me to playing the following.

Small World: kinda like Risk with tons more strategy mixed with fantasy races included. Having tons of fun with this one.

Forbidden Island: A highly challenging game, you are attempting to find 4 ancient artifacts of a an island that is sinking. Fun as all hell.

Pandemic: you are a group of scientists trying to stop 4 major disease outbreaks all over the world. If Forbidden Island is difficult, this is almost impossible. Still fun as hell.