DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

That's been going on for at least the last 3 years or so;  my 360 came with a Halo Reach voucher, my 3DS came with a Zelda: Link Between Worlds voucher and my replacement PS3 came with vouchers for the God of War prequels (1-3 and Ascension were on physical discs).  Not to put my conspiracy hat on, but I suspect it's as much about preventing resale as it is cutting the cost of physical media.

I can't speak rationally about DA2 because I got the game breaking slow down bug that rendered the game unfinishable for me.

And at the time the support for players getting the bug was virtually non-existent.

It basically consisted of "Eat shit and die"

The hate I had for the response to DA2's bugs made me stop playing Origins and I never finished it.

That's been going on for at least the last 3 years or so;  my 360 came with a Halo Reach voucher, my 3DS came with a Zelda: Link Between Worlds voucher and my replacement PS3 came with vouchers for the God of War prequels (1-3 and Ascension were on physical discs).  Not to put my conspiracy hat on, but I suspect it's as much about preventing resale as it is cutting the cost of physical media.

That makes sense. Figured it had been going on a while, still annoying, though. Not as annoying as enclosing a code for GTA V for the blimp in the package. Seriously just include it in the game. IDK, I guess I'm just old. . . 

That makes sense. Figured it had been going on a while, still annoying, though. Not as annoying as enclosing a code for GTA V for the blimp in the package. Seriously just include it in the game. IDK, I guess I'm just old. . . 

The blimp was a pre-order bonus.  But that's another way companies are trying to curb used game sales.  At least GTA doesn't have a "season pass" you have to use.

Also I think the DLC codes are a way to get people used to buying games online, since they can charge the same amount and don't have to give a cut to retailers.

So, is the internet being ironic with its love for Alpha Protocol or what? This is not a very good game.

Do not get me started on the shittyness of Alpha Protocol.

I always forget, and I don't care enough to Google it. Is that the follow up to Indigo Prophecy?

It was alright until the stupid ending stretch where I was shooting a regular human with a rocket launcher more than ten times.  Then there was this insane part with snipers that were miles away shooting at you.  Then you rode off on a jet ski.  It also had a ton of useless skills and upgrades.  There was basically a single build that didn't fuck you over when it came to the boss fights.  You wanted pistols and hacking.

You're thinking of Heavy Rain.

Alpha Protocol was an attempt to make a James Bond-type espionage game with the Mass Effect engine, but it failed massively from a technical standpoint.

Then why did J.T. like it so much?*

*I'm "getting him started on it".

You're thinking of Heavy Rain.

Alpha Protocol was an attempt to make a James Bond-type espionage game with the Mass Effect engine, but it failed massively from a technical standpoint.

Understood, I do not recall being as enamored with Indigo Prophecy as much as some people were as well.

Also, I picked up Infamous Second Son yesterday. I put about an hour into it.

Some of what I've read has suggested that the game is not terribly challenging unless you play it on Expert; however, this is my first foray into this series, so I am riding it out on Normal and then will check it on Expert afterwards.

Thus far, I find it to be a visually gorgeous game. It is also the first PS4 game to utilize some of the motion controls. At least in the Prologue Sequence (before you get to Seattle), I will say that the camera and movement of the game makes it hard to get a feel for place. It's very linear, and there are times that I ask if I am going the right way...only to stumble into another cut scene.

I'd be curious to see other thoughts from the few PS4 owners here today.

The prologue is very linear, but once you get into Seattle it opens up considerably.  I JUST got to that point within the last fifteen minutes; I definitely had problems with wandering into cutscenes and wandering out of mission zones in the prologue.

News from 2012!

Sleeping Dogs is really fun, you can feel the lack of polish at times, but it's an overall fun experience.

To me, Sleeping Dogs is one of the most polished games I've ever seen. The cars in the game are completely perfect (comparably better than recent NFS IMO).

I agree with what's been said about AP so will only mention that I also just don't like the way the shooting feels, even with plenty of points poured into pistols.

But, I started a new TEW13 game with a 2001 scenario with everyone's potential turned to random. I added a created British touring fed in which I've added a ton of the popular early 2000s indy guys, the better British workers and some ECW cast-offs. And the ECW influence is rubbing off since some dude pleased the locker room by bringing in a shit ton of alcohol. I hope it effects the show tbh.

So, is the internet being ironic with its love for Alpha Protocol or what? This is not a very good game.

Yeah, the good thing for the two of you is that on the Internet, you're allowed to be wrong. Completely, utterly and totally wrong in fact.

Yeah, the good thing for the two of you is that on the Internet, you're allowed to be wrong. Completely, utterly and totally wrong in fact.

I'd genuinely like to know what people love about it. Is it just the conversation system? Maybe coming at it 4 years removed was a mistake.

I agree with what's been said about AP so will only mention that I also just don't like the way the shooting feels, even with plenty of points poured into pistols.

But, I started a new TEW13 game with a 2001 scenario with everyone's potential turned to random. I added a created British touring fed in which I've added a ton of the popular early 2000s indy guys, the better British workers and some ECW cast-offs. And the ECW influence is rubbing off since some dude pleased the locker room by bringing in a shit ton of alcohol. I hope it effects the show tbh.

SO what is the cost on the new TEW and where are some good mod sites ? I would research more but i'm presently at work. I had the old EWR and the early TEW and I'm looking to start up again.

SO what is the cost on the new TEW and where are some good mod sites ? I would research more but i'm presently at work. I had the old EWR and the early TEW and I'm looking to start up again.

It's still $35. Adam still patches the game even two years after its release, so that's pretty cool. I'd imagine his new game for this year would be the next TEW, but that's just my guess/hope. I'm starting to feel like he's pushed the current coding/style of the game to its limits and to really get a whole lot more out of a new release would mean moving away from Visual Basic to something a bit more complex. I don't know if Adam's up for that and I'd imagine we'd lose a tonne of features if that were the case to but maybe that's what is needed for the series to evolve. Many of the desired features for old territory-based mods can't really be that accurate without traveling champions and other features.

The Greydog Software forums are where you can find the majority of mods and latest releases, but there's this place for archiving of older mods: http://www.ewwarehouse.info/. If you're looking to play a modern day mod, the Real World Chronicles is the most balanced by far, but Cpt. Charisma's mods have way more depth and are probably pretty easy to play. For my money, the two best mods are the '91 and '94 ones. The '04 mod that is in the beta stages and is about to have its first finalized version released shortly is looking pretty damn good too. I find most of the other real world mods imbalanced one way or another (too generous with ratings or the reactionary too harsh with ratings). The default C-Verse is a great way of learning the game's mechanics, though.

I recently discovered Fallout 3. It's quickly shot up my list of favorite games ever.

Welcome to the club. It's a shame the old threads were lost when the board collapsed because there was a huge thread revolving around someone (I wanna say it was Rippa) playing through Fallout 3. 

Those effing rednecks and tribals in Port Lookout were annoying as piss. I'm wearing this jacked up power armor and they were killing me by hitting me with a shovel twice.

I got the urge to fire up Fallout 3 again last week and just finished a playthrough of Point Lookout. Whoever it is that designed the Ghoul Reavers, I hope somebody waterboards them.