DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Is it better or worse than the first one? There were a couple of areas where the frame rate really dropped.

The framerate doesn't really drop from what I'm hearing, it just stays below 30 fps at most locations. I haven't played it, but there hasn't been anything like Blighttown that make people clamor for a patch or a next-gen/PC version.

What people have been complaining is: 1) travel at the start of the game and 2) you lose HP every time you revive.

So is it a permanent HP reduction or can you get it back with items ala curses?

I took a break from GTA online and am playing Manhunt on PS3. Still a pretty creepy game, though not quite so much without the Director talking in your ear via the Xbox Live headset.

Way I'm hearing it, it's kind of a combination of the old Demon's Souls thing where if you are dead you have half health and the humanity/hollowing stuff in Dark Souls.  You use consumable items to bump it back up.

Well... this is odd.

In Canada, the PS4 is getting a price INCREASE. The system is going up by $50 and games are going up by $10.

Business.financialpost.com/2014/03/14/playstation-4-price-going-up-by-50-in-canada/?__lsa=3d6e-ec2a

Beat Dragon Age II last night. Biggest flaw had to be the reused maps which was just ridiculous and lazy. With that said, it didn't bother near as much as I thought it would. I dug the faster combat and there were a few interesting boss fights that provided a challenge. I liked the journey the companions go through in this one as it feels a bit more organic and in depth than the companions of Origins and Awakening. Hawke was a fun protagonist and I sort like how story breaks down for the character with each Act. I also dug how the finale builds up over the years/acts with the things getting progressively worse each chapter between Circle of Magi and Templars. Truth be told on the whole I think I may like DAII a little more than Origins. At the very least I enjoy the story and characters more. I find DAII to have interesting complexities Origins mostly lacked due to it being a straight up good vs. evil type of story. I liked playing as a protagonist with a real personally and a bit of a history behind them and their family. I will say though with the changes made to the style of story and some of the gameplay problems it is interesting reading up about the upcoming Inquisition as it ultimately feels DAII was created to mostly build up Inquisition including sacrificing some of the gameplay quality while to focus on Inquisition. Anyways this was fun experience. I look forward to the next game in the series.

• Like 1

Remember how I said that Dark Souls II looks like a PS2 game? While visually that's true....it is LONGER than most/all PS2 games. I'm only about 12 hours in and I have barely made a dent in the game. Up to The Lost Bastille. I highly recommend this game despite the graphics gaffe.

. I will say though with the changes made to the style of story and some of the gameplay problems it is interesting reading up about the upcoming Inquisition as it ultimately feels DAII was created to mostly build up Inquisition including sacrificing some of the gameplay quality while to focus on Inquisition.

DAII suffered from an unnecessarily shortened dev cycle, but I don't think it was because of Inquisition, since the basis for the next game actually was going to be a final DLC for II. I'm glad you liked it! Phil and JT will be in shortly to tell us how we're wrong. ;-)

I can't speak rationally about DA2 because I got the game breaking slow down bug that rendered the game unfinishable for me.

And at the time the support for players getting the bug was virtually non-existent.

It basically consisted of "Eat shit and die"

. I will say though with the changes made to the style of story and some of the gameplay problems it is interesting reading up about the upcoming Inquisition as it ultimately feels DAII was created to mostly build up Inquisition including sacrificing some of the gameplay quality while to focus on Inquisition.

DAII suffered from an unnecessarily shortened dev cycle, but I don't think it was because of Inquisition, since the basis for the next game actually was going to be a final DLC for II. I'm glad you liked it! Phil and JT will be in shortly to tell us how we're wrong. ;-)

I don't recall reading that, more that aspects of it might be in Inquisition. Considering the final quest of Exalted Prince and the name of the cancelled DLC it likely would have been more about the retaking of Kirkwall. Also that final DLC was cancelled so they could give Inquisition more focus. Before that it seems that they were working simultaneously on both.

Ended up snagging both the PS3 and Vita versions of NFS Most Wanted when they were $5.  I sank probably 100 hours into Burnout, but never bothered with the toned-down version.  At $10 for both iterations, though, I couldn't pass on it.  Of course, that leaves the problem of which version to try first. :)

Meanwhile, my breaks and lunch time at work continue to be consumed with my shitty, shitty performance on TxK.  I love that game so much, but I am NEVER gonna finish 100 stages.  Or probably even 50.

Hey this is probably a very dumb question, but is there anyway I can take my non-xbox live profile(I don't play online too much, but am looking to start) and make it a live account? I've tried, but looking like a noob,I want my 20k xbox points recognized dammit!, is not the preferred way to start. I recently upgraded to the 250 g 360 with the built in modem(didn't have it before). . .