DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I was under the impression that most of the staff of a development team was let go after every release anyway. I always thought it was a few key staff that stayed on and went from game-to-game, but the majority of programmers and designers only worked on one game and then moved on, like Hollywood. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I was under the impression that most of the staff of a development team was let go after every release anyway. I always thought it was a few key staff that stayed on and went from game-to-game, but the majority of programmers and designers only worked on one game and then moved on, like Hollywood. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Close to right! That's definitely industry practice, but they're hired as they enter crunch time and not from the start of development. They're also shed closer to post-launch. A game studio tends to have a solid core, and the bigger the studio the bigger the core. Flushing everyone but a handful is, as far as I know, unprecedented. 

• Like 2

It's rumored on NeoGAF that Ken Levine has a remaining contract with 2K and they still owe him money, hence the announcement. It's also rumored that Irrational shutting down was known for well over a year, but most of the 'games journalist' that knew stayed mum on the topic.And this is another reason why 'games journalism' should just die. They don't actually report anything, they just get fucking excited over another shooter at E3.

The biggest giveaway was Rod Fergusson being hired by 2K/Irrational around the time of BioShock Infinite's release, leaving for Bethesda, and several other key people leaving soon after.

Jesus christ, the Jaguar boss in Guacamelee is kind of ridiculous. There's no real pattern to his actions; the moves are easily telegraphed but he'll follow it up with a different one every time and there seems to be no knowing when your power move will stun him so you can get a combo in. For a game that's been super easy so far, it comes out of nowhere and beats your testicles in. To attempt something 5 times in this game seems really strange.

The entire last hour of this game is fucking crazy, man, what a ridiculous difficulty spike. I wouldn't mind but it's hardly the tightest control scheme in the world and fuck me, it's 5 times as hard as the rest of the game up to this point.

• Like 1

Jesus christ, the Jaguar boss in Guacamelee is kind of ridiculous. There's no real pattern to his actions; the moves are easily telegraphed but he'll follow it up with a different one every time and there seems to be no knowing when your power move will stun him so you can get a combo in. For a game that's been super easy so far, it comes out of nowhere and beats your testicles in. To attempt something 5 times in this game seems really strange.

The entire last hour of this game is fucking crazy, man, what a ridiculous difficulty spike. I wouldn't mind but it's hardly the tightest control scheme in the world and fuck me, it's 5 times as hard as the rest of the game up to this point.

This is kinda why I didn't like Guacamelee as much as everyone else did. The gameplay is just bad at times IMO.

This is kinda why I didn't like Guacamelee as much as everyone else did. The gameplay is just bad at times IMO.

I generally like it but the times it really sucks is when there's multiple enemies on screen, all with different colours around them. Trying to land a decent combo and take them out one by one is frustrating. The jumping isn't really precise enough for the trickier jumps you need to make at the end too but there's definitely scope for a sequel if they can tighten it up. But I can't understate just how much the difficulty spiked after that boss. It's like they slapped a Mario rom hack onto the end at times.

Amazon Video has the new 90-minute documentary on the making of The Last of Us:

Grounded: The Making of Last of Us

It's apparently got plenty of spoilers so beware those of you that didn't finish and actually care about such things.

Got my 17th Platinum trophy with Medal of Honor (2010). It's everything that is wrong with video games today in one place: shitty multiplayer trophies/community and a bullshit difficulty trophy.

I really wish there weren't multiplayer achievements. I don't play online enough to chase them and some games have no multiplayer presence whatsoever by the time you want to play them.

• Like 1

Got my 17th Platinum trophy with Medal of Honor (2010). It's everything that is wrong with video games today in one place: shitty multiplayer trophies/community and a bullshit difficulty trophy.

I really wish there weren't multiplayer achievements. I don't play online enough to chase them and some games have no multiplayer presence whatsoever by the time you want to play them.

In agreement with the pair of you.

I'm kind of glad the Wii U doesn't have an achievement system.

Spending hours on end just for a stupid tropy can suck the joy out of the best games and you just end up asking yourself "What the hell am I doing with my life?".

It's like the most convoluted high score system ever, instead of just making games that have actual high scores because apparently that's archaic and stupid.

To me, if they kill the multiplayer aspects by closing servers, they should automatically give everyone who ever connected to multiplayer all the related trophies/achievements after it's done. I understand that it's not that simple (because what triggers them are certain conditions being met), but it can very easily be done with a patch.

Strider and Resogun continue to dominate my PS4 time; I still haven't so much as touched Warframe, Contrast, Outlast or Don't Starve (I had been assiduously "buying" every PS+ PS4 game since I knew I'd be getting one sooner rather than later).  Resogun is interesting because it doesn't FEEL like a system showcase until you've been playing it for a little while and start to realize just how intricate a lot of the visuals are.  (It helps that it's fun as fuck too.)  Strider I can easily say I got my five bucks (and $10 voucher) worth, but I'm not sure I'll be coming back to it to beat it on Hard or whatever.

I feel like I really need to give Tomb Raider more of my attention, but so far I've just had more oomph behind those two PSN games.  Kinda wishing I had jumped on that Injustice flash sale two or so weeks ago, as I have no interest in paying $50 for something I already spent $50 on, but I could've been convinced to pay $35 (which would've been the cost of getting the five DLC characters I never bothered with) to get a prettier and expanded version.

In an effort to clear my backlog, I came up with the following 2 decisions.

1- I will now beat 2 games before buying one.

2- I'm trading MAdden 25 in today. MY problem is when I have gaming time I dive into Madden and while I enjoy it, it gets repetitive and keeps me from playing other games.

So I'm working on GTA 5 still in the hopes that it will be freed up when I get the Stick of Destiny next week. Also, have been plugging away on Uncharted 2.

That's a good plan.  I should try the "beat 2, buy one" plan.  Except mine should be more like "beat 10, buy one".

I gave Strider a chance.  Seems OK but wasn't blown away. 

• Like 1

I'm enjoying Strider more than most, but between the arcade and NES games it's probably my very favorite "short" franchise ever so fandom is carrying at least some of the load.

I just wish it had better fast travel options.  SotN was SIXTEEN YEARS AGO and IT had the warp gates.  The Panther Runs ain't cutting it.