DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

What's a good site for PS3 & PS4 game reviews?  I tend to read IGN for my gaming news and they do a good job.  And they do a decent job with their reviews on big titles.  But they don't review everything.  And I'd like to find a better site with more timely reviews, especially when it comes to PSN releases.  Whatcha got?

I use IGN and GameCentral the most, a UK website. The site has regular news, previews, reviews, a morning/evening inbox and a weekend hot topic:

http://metro.co.uk/ents-tech/gaming/

History of GameCentral:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamecentral

Hope it helps.

DC Scribblenauts Unmasked is on sale via Amazon Digital Download for the PC for $9.99!

Holy crap is this fun. I wanted to test out just who and what I could summon. I typed in "Newsboy Legion" to help me fight Plasmus. Holy Crap! The entire Newsboy Legion shows and get decimated... but it was worth it! I am totally loving this game!

James

I've reached a point of no return, I've already come so far and wasted so many hours just on this on one level. I can't give up now.

The thing is, every time I get a little better, I almost reached the end the last time.

I wouldn't do this for any other game, except a Mario game.

Look it up on Youtube, if you don't know what we're talking about.

Currently playing through Assassin's Creed Black Flag and while I'm generally enjoying the change of location much more than 3, something about it isn't grabbing me as much. I love the ship combat, in theory (though I'm pretty terrible at it when there's more than one ship attacking me) but it's not been enough to make me pile some real hours into it. Also, I've been playing for 5 hours or so and it feels like I'm still in a quasi-tutorial. I should be able to tell the game that I've already played Assassin's Creeds 1-400 and it can just leave me to my own devices until I need to know how to plunder a brig. Swinging from my ship onto an enemy one with a giant rope and leaping off to assassinate a guy from above is fucking great though.

EDIT - I can't believe they brought back the missions that auto-fail you when spotted, god fucking damn it, Ubisoft. Those "snipers" could spot a fart from five miles away.

The thing is, every time I get a little better

Haven't got the game and am not going to look at the level because I don't want it spoiled, but this line is really encouraging for when I do. I've spent tens of hours on individual levels before in good arcade-style games and my only advise is don't try to push it. Don't play frustrated, don't play just to get to the end and remember this isn't the kind of game you beat by putting in hours. I usually pass them when I'm either on my first play in a while, relaxed, distracted or otherwise getting by on subconscious flow without tension making me overthink things (this also helps a ton with being able to enjoy it).

Ken Levine is closing down Irrational Games so he can work with a smaller group on different things.

Thanks to Irrational and 2K’s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

Currently playing through Assassin's Creed Black Flag and while I'm generally enjoying the change of location much more than 3, something about it isn't grabbing me as much. I love the ship combat, in theory (though I'm pretty terrible at it when there's more than one ship attacking me) but it's not been enough to make me pile some real hours into it. Also, I've been playing for 5 hours or so and it feels like I'm still in a quasi-tutorial. I should be able to tell the game that I've already played Assassin's Creeds 1-400 and it can just leave me to my own devices until I need to know how to plunder a brig. Swinging from my ship onto an enemy one with a giant rope and leaping off to assassinate a guy from above is fucking great though.

EDIT - I can't believe they brought back the missions that auto-fail you when spotted, god fucking damn it, Ubisoft. Those "snipers" could spot a fart from five miles away.

This is essentially why I stopped playing a game that I will readily admit is mostly great.  All of the great things that are there are overshadowed by the little, stupid, frustrating, shit like the follow missions and being killed by 3 and 4 ships when you are just trying to sail to the next mission.

The thing is, every time I get a little better

Haven't got the game and am not going to look at the level because I don't want it spoiled, but this line is really encouraging for when I do. I've spent tens of hours on individual levels before in good arcade-style games and my only advise is don't try to push it. Don't play frustrated, don't play just to get to the end and remember this isn't the kind of game you beat by putting in hours. I usually pass them when I'm either on my first play in a while, relaxed, distracted or otherwise getting by on subconscious flow without tension making me overthink things (this also helps a ton with being able to enjoy it).

I finally did it. Take that, Miyamoto!

Ken Levine is closing down Irrational Games so he can work with a smaller group on different things.

Thanks to Irrational and 2K’s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

Ugh another guy who is gonna "reinvent" the way we play games. I love his games but really just shut the fuck up and make some more.

And this is immediately after Cliffy B said he too would never release a game on disc again.

Brave New World...

The more I read the more this comes off as an arrogant, selfish dick move. Couldn't he have just left Irrational? Doesn't he have the pull at 2K where he could have just formed his own smaller team?

This trend of bucking the AAA game is so odd. Making AAA games is working out pretty well for Rockstar I think.

Amazon has the Definitive Version of Tomb Raider on PS4 for $39.99 today. Is that worth it? I held off on buying it on 360 a couple of weeks ago for $10 because this version is supposed to be gorgeous.

What I've read seems to imply that it ain't worth the extra $30.

I love how "hundreds lose jobs" gets spun by most of the press as "ken levine's creative rebirth!"

Yeah exactly --  I have lost all remaining respect for Ken Levine.

Leave a studio, sure. But leave it AND close it down essentially too by having only 17 people there? Fuck him.

I mean, David Jaffe didn't close Santa Monica Studios when he left after God of War. Take Two should do the same thing and just let other people take creative control of BioShock.

Let Ken go make iOS free apps with microtransactions or do some Kickstarter shit where you do a visual novel with Elizabeth. He shouldn't hurt other people for his hubris.

Amazon has the Definitive Version of Tomb Raider on PS4 for $39.99 today. Is that worth it? I held off on buying it on 360 a couple of weeks ago for $10 because this version is supposed to be gorgeous.

What I've read seems to imply that it ain't worth the extra $30.

Yeah, I have a strong suspicion it'll be a PS + offering in the near future. I'm guessing Knack will be the first "disc game" to get that PS4 treatment.