DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

All I've learned from following the Eagles is that if I get caught on camera dropping some n bombs, I get a vacation and a new contract, but if I have some vague, unclear gang ties with absolutely no proof tied to the claims, I'm out of a job.

The real reason the Eagles let him go was because he was lazy, didn't work hard and was a bad influence. All of the Eagles players that have spoken are thrilled that he is gone. I think that says a lot about what type of player DeSean is.

Desean Jackson had 1332 yards and 9 TDs last year, that is my kind of lazy.  The truth is they didn't want to pay him the money he demanded and they let him go, all the other shit is just them trying to justify it to their fans.  If he can put up those numbers without trying, maybe they shouldn't worry about how hard he is working.

The problem I have is the Eagles are using the so-called gang ties as a cover, when they should have just said "DeSean doesn't fit into our scheme anymore.  We looked to trade him, but had no takers at his price.  It was decided that it was in our best interest to cut ties."  Future endeavor speech, and close scene.

Getting rid of him at this point is kind of dumb, frankly.  Teams only got rid of TO after he got old and the production slacked off, not in his prime when he's getting you 1300 yards and 14 TDs.

The Eagles had better have a good season in 2014.  Because if they don't:

paramore-riot-Favim.com-231459.gif

• Like 1

Desean Jackson had 1332 yards and 9 TDs last year, that is my kind of lazy.  The truth is they didn't want to pay him the money he demanded and they let him go, all the other shit is just them trying to justify it to their fans.  If he can put up those numbers without trying, maybe they shouldn't worry about how hard he is working.

Do you think he would of had those numbers if Maclin was healthy?

Do you think he would of had those numbers if Maclin was healthy?

I honestly don't know, but I don't think it matters.  If his work ethic is the question, how much more could they have realistically expected him to produce?  If he is an asshole, call him an asshole, but trying to say one of the most productive players on your team isn't working hard is dumb.  Working hard is much less valuable than working productively.

The Eagles had to make a move before his roster bonus kicked in and they were required to commit to his salary for 2014. Put that factor into his alleged off-field stuff.  You guys can't seriously think he was cut just because of his alleged gang ties, right? Plus, it kind of sounds like alot of the players are okay with him gone, take that for what it's worth.

There have been a series of red flags and incidents with DeSean that Andy and his staff chose to either work with or ignore.Chip chose not to for a variety of reasons.

Chip's a new coach with a new attitude and a new system. It isn't Andy Reid's team anymore, someone who I felt took a special interest in Jackson and helped get him that contract. I honestly think they will be a better team without Desean.

The Eagles had to make a move before his roster bonus kicked in and they were required to commit to his salary for 2014. Put that factor into his alleged off-field stuff.  You guys can't seriously think he was cut just because of his alleged gang ties, right? Plus, it kind of sounds like alot of the players are okay with him gone, take that for what it's worth.

That's the point, though.  We know the supposed gang ties is a cop-out, used as cheap heat that many will latch onto to create a false storyline.

I wish Philly would be honest.  Supposed gang association that they've likely known about for years wasn't the problem.  Just say Jackson was too much of a headache at too big a price.  I think most would respect that, even if they don't totally agree.

But do they really have to say something?  Most teams when they cut someone don't come out and say why, and if they do it is the canned "we decided to go in a different direction." In most jobs it would be incredibly poor form for an employer to publicly announce why they fired someone.  I think everyone knows that Jackson was a headache but a statement from the Eagles saying that would just make everyone look bad.

• Like 1

No, they don't have to say anything.  The problem, though, is that with the timing of the release on Friday being approximately 40 minutes after the article about the 'gang ties' was put up, it looks like the Eagles put out a hit piece as an excuse.

There have been a series of red flags and incidents with DeSean that Andy and his staff chose to either work with or ignore.Chip chose not to for a variety of reasons.

Chip's a new coach with a new attitude and a new system. It isn't Andy Reid's team anymore, someone who I felt took a special interest in Jackson and helped get him that contract. I honestly think they will be a better team without Desean.

I wonder if Reid was just mentally checked out by that point. The team had obvious discipline problems that showed on the field. Roseman was with the team at the time and needs to explain why they chose to pay DeSean in the first place. It was stupid. Of course they get rid of him now that he wants more money. He has already shown he is not above tanking it on the field. Why the hell would the team need an excuse to cut him? It was already public knowledge that they were trying to trade him. Them not being able to get anything of value for him says more than a couple of photos of him doing gang signs. This isn't a team/ownership group that needs excuses. Fans know already they are going to do their own thing. Learned that well with Dawkins. Or signing Vick in the first place. The timing of the article is shady but the team has a long track record of not caring all that much about what fans think. For the better for the most part. Listen to the fans and you might end up drafting a running back instead of a franchise quarterback. Jackson gets far too much money for someone that is that unreliable. Good to have a coach that puts team first. 

• Like 1

But do they really have to say something?  Most teams when they cut someone don't come out and say why, and if they do it is the canned "we decided to go in a different direction." In most jobs it would be incredibly poor form for an employer to publicly announce why they fired someone.  I think everyone knows that Jackson was a headache but a statement from the Eagles saying that would just make everyone look bad.

This is essentially my entire point, they cut a player who was either too expensive or too much of a headache, but cutting him just wasn't enough, they decided to assassinate his character.  When the LAPD is taking up for a black dude, you know you've gone too far with your bullshit. 

I love how DeSean Jackson has become unreliable on the field when he has always been productive when healthy.  He has played with a series on unreliable quarterbacks, and is essentially a one trick pony, but when he is on the field he has to be accounted for and in the NFL that matters a lot.  He is an elite deep threat on a team that passes the ball a whole lot, I think this is a bigger loss for the Eagles than they realize.  One of the most rare things in the NFL is a player who can take the top off of the defense and keep the defensive backs honest, he can do that in a way very few players can.  The main reason Manning and Brady lost the last couple Super Bowls they played is because the defense realized they couldn't beat them deep.  You can beat average defenses without a legit threat to go deep, but you won't beat a good one.

• Like 2

This is essentially my entire point, they cut a player who was either too expensive or too much of a headache, but cutting him just wasn't enough, they decided to assassinate his character.  When the LAPD is taking up for a black dude, you know you've gone too far with your bullshit. 

I love how DeSean Jackson has become unreliable on the field when he has always been productive when healthy.  He has played with a series on unreliable quarterbacks, and is essentially a one trick pony, but when he is on the field he has to be accounted for and in the NFL that matters a lot.  He is an elite deep threat on a team that passes the ball a whole lot, I think this is a bigger loss for the Eagles than they realize.  One of the most rare things in the NFL is a player who can take the top off of the defense and keep the defensive backs honest, he can do that in a way very few players can.  The main reason Manning and Brady lost the last couple Super Bowls they played is because the defense realized they couldn't beat them deep.  You can beat average defenses without a legit threat to go deep, but you won't beat a good one.

I agree with you, although I am not sure I am completely behind the stance that the organization itself tried to assassinate his character, it was likely just a person here or there, not an owner/team decision.  My bigger point is that even if they did it, it would be unprecedented for the Eagles to release a 'reason' why he was cut.  When Tampa Bay cut Freeman, we knew why from rumors and 'leaks' but they didn't announce it.  When the Patriots didn't want Spikes back we knew why from leaks, but again it wasn't officially announced.  Teams don't officially announce these things unless the player was convicted of a crime or in Hernandez's case accused of a major one.  Besides even if the Eagles did say 'no we didn't cut him due to the gang affiliations' the people that currently think that is why he was cut wouldn't believe the Eagles anyway.

I can't really feel too sorry for Jackson.  The whole "everyone has friends in gangs" thing is sketch (there are gangs in my city, I don't befriend any of them), but even if he was friends with people in gangs (which I don't think is a big deal) there is a difference between that and posting pictures of himself on the Internet making gang signs.  There are a lot of public figures that would be reprimanded for that, even if it was 'innocent' it is not the image that a team or player wants to display.  I don't think that is the reason he was cut, I think it was because he was a selfish person, a selfish teammate, and they decided he wasn't worth the hassle.  But I don't see Jackson as a victim here, and he will get plenty of money again very soon.

Redskins fans have already reached "WE HAVE SIGNED DESEAN JACKSON!!! WE ARE WINNING THE NFC EAST AND MAKING A RUN AT THE SUPER BOWL!!!" status

• Like 1

Oh yeah - its gonna be a long fucking day.

God - I had started to forget how insufferable this fanbase can

YOU CAN'T GUARD BOTH GARCON AND JACKSON!!!! 45 POINTS EVERY GAME!!!!

• Like 1

Oh yeah - its gonna be a long fucking day.

God - I had started to forget how insufferable this fanbase can

YOU CAN'T GUARD BOTH GARCON AND JACKSON!!!! 45 POINTS EVERY GAME!!!!

I will see it in my Facebook feed all day. 

Alfred Morris benefits from DJax on the team, could be a nice year for him.

The problem I have is the Eagles are using the so-called gang ties as a cover, when they should have just said "DeSean doesn't fit into our scheme anymore.  We looked to trade him, but had no takers at his price.  It was decided that it was in our best interest to cut ties."  Future endeavor speech, and close scene.

Getting rid of him at this point is kind of dumb, frankly.  Teams only got rid of TO after he got old and the production slacked off, not in his prime when he's getting you 1300 yards and 14 TDs.

The Eagles had better have a good season in 2014.  Because if they don't:

paramore-riot-Favim.com-231459.gif

What was the deal with TO in '05 then? I mean he got sent home for the season after only seven games despite being on pace for over 1,700 yards. Sometimes douchebags just ain't worth it no matter what the production; especially at the headcase magnet position of wide receiver.