DVDVR Message Board

Most. Southern. Wrestling. Promo. EVER.

Pete

Wow.  Between the glasses, the hair, and the absurdly effeminate slap, Ron Wright was quite possibly the least intimidating heel of the territorial era.

I thought the same thing the first time I saw Ron Wright. But from everything I've heard about him, he was a pretty big deal for a long time in Knoxville.

Wright was awesome as a manager in Southeastern - he was feuding with Ronnie Garvin and Garvin got hold of Wright's false teeth and proceeded to stomp them flat in the ring while Wright looked on in horror. I'll never forget Wright's line "Ronnie Garvin, you're gonna pay for me some new teeth!"

Wright was a heat machine for years in the Knoxville/East Tennessee area - I'm sure there's gotta be an article somewhere where he talks about how fans set his private plane (he liked to fly himself between shows, so it was a small plane, not a fancy one) on fire, and how he had to leave every show hidden in the trunk of somebody's car until he got far enough away from the arena.

He was a master heel in the days when being a master heel would get your ass stabbed by some crazy fan. That makes him cool in my book.

The aforementioned Nazi flag promo

Bone-gnawing hillbilly gimmick? Check. 

Sunglasses-and-suit wearing black bodyguard gimmick? Check.

Canadian dude as fake Asian madman? Check. 

Sieg-heiling masked guy with giant Swastika shirt? Check. 

And then on top of all that Ron Wright dressed like Col. Sanders with a Japanese flag on his hat. Did Bruce Hart come up with this? Did Solie ever work Calgary? Did I just see a little kid imitate the Nazi salute in the crowd?

"Get this flag off my set" indeed, Gordon. Stay classy Memphis