DVDVR Message Board

Justified

Jrag

I haven’t been able to talk about the show yet, because I’ve had to watch it on a bit of a delay, but I’m all caught up as of today, and I’m loving it. Obviously, it’s not on the level of BETTER CALL SAUL, but it feels similar in the sense that they got the band back together and didn’t miss a beat. This team just totally understands what makes an Elmore Leonard story go, and this might in fact be The Most Elmore Leonard thing ever committed to the screen.

I definitely miss the zany cast of characters that populated Harlan, but Detroit’s a different place, and it would be weird if it just felt like a big city version of Harlan.

That said, Boyd Holbrook has already etched himself into the pantheon of Justified villains at #2 behind Walton Goggins, which is as high as any mortal man can ever hope to climb anyway. Going into this, I was really worried/intrigued about how they were going to handle Clement, since they mined so much of him for Daryl Crowe (ironically, the worst Justified villain) in season 5, but Holbrook’s charisma cannot be contained, and I Iove all the extra shades the writers have given Clement, like being a shitty cover band singer, only stealing old cars for the tape decks, always wandering around in his damn tightie whities, etc. Just a fully realized, idiosyncratic supervillain. Can’t wait to see him and Raylan finally throw down.

My one regret about not being able to post about the show before now is that I couldn’t call “Marin Ireland is too good to be just Random Cop #3, that character is clearly in deeper that it seems” after episode 1. Because I think it’s pretty clear that’s the case after episode 6.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

I'm legit shocked that with it being set in Detroit that hasn't been one throwaway line about any Tonins and not even a peep about Wynn Duffy. I thought for sure at least one episode would have said something about the Tonin crime family, but nope. And good for them. They've done a great job of showing viewers and fans that this is still Justified and they're able to craft an entirely new world without having to go back to the well.

And I still keep thinking back to Raylan going full Seth Bullock on Mansell. That was awesome and still the only time Olyphant has looked unhinged in the role of Raylan. Glad it was saved for a good purpose/reason and I'm also glad his daughter didn't stick around longer. As much as I like seeing Raylan as a dad, I started wondering just how much longer his daughter would be on the show. It started to bog things down. Now the conflict is squarely Raylan vs Mansell without having to throw Raylan's kid in the mix. 

Still waiting for my final prediction to come true - Mansell's girlfriend eats a bullet. I mean, maybe not, but Clement is such a wild man that it wouldn't shock me to see it happen.

I don't know if Mansell is quite that high for Justified villains for me, but he definitely is in the upper echelon. Right now only Boyd, Quarles, Mags, and Limehouse are probably ahead for me. I do like how he is one of the few who can make Raylan lose his shit. He also has a similar sense of dangerous that only a few one-off villains ever really had with Raylan.

LOVED loved loved loved the kinda callback to the very first episode until those fucking Bulgarians showed up. Part of me wants to say that their part in this story is the thing I like the least because everything could just be about Raylan, the Detroit police, the justice system in Detroit, and Mansell and it would be damn near perfect. The other part of me appreciates it in a weird way because it's something we've never seen Raylan have to deal with.

And man...are we sure Sandy never spent time in Dewey's brothel because damn, she's about as dumb as the women from there. She definitely has some of that backwoods, dumb as fuck, Harlan blood in her.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:01 PM, driver said:

Bulgarians? I thought they were Albanians. Although if the Albanians were foul mouthed I guess that would make them Vulgarians.

Yes, Albanians. I couldn't remember except it was somewhere in that bloc.

They said they’re ready to do another season or more, it’s just up to FX. I would like to think FX would be more than inclined to agree. They let the Sunny folks keep making tv as long as they want to after all.

• Like 3

I enjoyed this, but also felt it was challenging to drop a great protagonist into a new show without the ensemble that helped make the original show great. All this to say

Spoiler

Once they jumped to Kentucky, I was floating on air in a way I hadn’t been up till then. I’m really cynical about a lot of nostalgia bait, but if they have one more round of Raylan vs Boyd in the tank then I’m gonna lap it up.

• Like 2

I almost spoiled it for myself, but not in the way you think. I had to get up to use the bathroom right after the stuff with Mansell went down. I pause the recording and there was a lot of time left. Right then I figured something would happen, but when I came back you have Raylan's stuff with the Marshalls service, Raylan painting his house, and honestly the only cameo I really hoped to get because it seemed like the most realistic one, which was Winona showing up. The Raylan and Winona relationship still sort of bugs me because on screen they have a lot of chemistry, it's pretty clear that the characters have a lot of love for each other, but neither one wants to commit to it. Like, come on you two, neither one of you are finding anyone else that's better and just learn to live with the fact that you're going to really annoy each other every now and then.

Anyway, and even then, there was quite a bit of time left. And then we get the location on screen and I'm on my couch saying out loud in front of no one, "no way! No fucking way! Yes!"

• Like 1