DVDVR Message Board

My PS3 is dead. Any suggestions?

RandomAct

So my PS3 just up and died on Tuesday.  It's got the blinking red light gimmick, which I have been told is not worth fixing.  Seems that nothing you do to that will be a long term fix.  Has anyone else had experience with this?  Will there be a way for me to retrieve my saves, given that the unit is dead?  Are my NBA 2k14 saves stored online?  Does anyone have a PS3 they don't want?  Sadly, I've been unemployed for over 2 months, so buying a new one right now is out of the question.

• Like 1

If you have PS+ and use the cloud save feature then they'll be stored online so long as your subscription is active.  Even if you don't have PS+ you can pull the hard drive out of your unit and put it into a new PS3 whenever you get one.

Hopefully now that the PS4 is out there should be some people trying to unload their older system.

Even if you don't have PS+ you can pull the hard drive out of your unit and put it into a new PS3 whenever you get one.

Except that you'll be forced to format the HD if you do that.  Whenever you format a HD for a PS3 the OS ties that HD to the specific unit.  (Not sure how...I'm sure it's somewhere if you google for it)

My PS3 did that before it totally died a few months ago, it's basically from overheating. You could maybe try opening it up to clean out dust or the hairdryer trick, which might be enough that you could back up the saves to a thumb drive.

You should be able to get a used one at a good price now, or especially after Xmas

Same thing happened to me last year.

There's no possible way to save the files by putting the hard drive in another PS3 or in a PC.

The hair dryer method worked for me. Of course the PS3 will eventually die again, but it will work long enough for you to either save the files on a USB stick or buy a short-term PS+ subscription and save them that way. Then you can restore your saves whenever you have the money to buy a new PS3.

• 1 month later...

An update.  Finally took the PS3 in for repairs so I could attempt to get my saves off of it.  Duded worked on it for 2 days, but no luck.  Apparently the motherboard is totally shot..  Got a new unit coming in, but I'll be sad to have to start over.  I've messaged 2K numerous times about whether or not I can reclaim my VC or saves online for NBA 2k14, but no answer.

• 10 months later...

I am bumping this topic myself.

A coworker asked me to look at theirs. It had the "system update didn't process properly (paraphrasing)"  error.

I downloaded the update to a thumb drive, ran it, and started to cook lunch.

I noticed when I stepped away from cooking that the console was on but the tv acted like it was receiving no HDMI signal.

I tried rebooting and still no signal. I tried switching HDMI cables and no luck.

Is this a case of the hard drive going on the fritz? I'm not sure because you would think even with a bad HD that I would be getting a bios screen or something.

4 xbox's (3-360 1-1) all work fine, even my original white 360 which has rrod me countless times but it just won't die.  Hell I even have the first Xbox but the disc drive is shot in it, I could probably fix it but I'm like why when I've got three 360s ya know.  

360s can be worked on, fixed, ps3 not so much

I have a ps3 also.

I am bumping this topic myself.

A coworker asked me to look at theirs. It had the "system update didn't process properly (paraphrasing)"  error.

I downloaded the update to a thumb drive, ran it, and started to cook lunch.

I noticed when I stepped away from cooking that the console was on but the tv acted like it was receiving no HDMI signal.

I tried rebooting and still no signal. I tried switching HDMI cables and no luck.

Is this a case of the hard drive going on the fritz? I'm not sure because you would think even with a bad HD that I would be getting a bios screen or something.

I had a similar thing happen to me when I rebuilt the system files on my PS3.  Try holding down the power button when you turn it on.  Hold it until it beeps a couple of times in a row.  Sometimes when it processes an update it changes the video output, and doing that will reset it to HDMI.

4 xbox's (3-360 1-1) all work fine, even my original white 360 which has rrod me countless times but it just won't die.  Hell I even have the first Xbox but the disc drive is shot in it, I could probably fix it but I'm like why when I've got three 360s ya know.  

360s can be worked on, fixed, ps3 not so much

I have a ps3 also.

Fat Original XBox is the last console I actually bought. I still use it as my DVD player even though I think I've gamed on it like 3 times in the last year. Most reliable DVD player I've ever owned.

• Like 1