DVDVR Message Board

Raw 7/15/13

rzombie1988

Really good show except for CM Punk's promo on Heyman which was seemingly written by someone like Scott Lobdell, and that fucking Jericho/RVD match which felt like it lasted a God damn week. I'm at the point where I don't want to see Van Dam or Jericho wrestle again. The segment with the Wyatt Family was again excellent and thankfully no "Husky Harris" nonsense.

I was hoping Cena was dragging out his selection only to pick someone other than Bryan to be a dick. It seemed like this week was one of the most in-ring action heavy episodes in a while. I'm actually interested in how SummerSlam will play out with Cena, Bryan, and Orton.

Jericho/RVD definitely was long but was good too. It could have had a few minutes chopped off though. Also glad to see no Husky Harris stuff, but it was a legit dumb chant anyway. I get Goldberg and Tensai but I can't imagine half the audience would even remember Husky Harris.

So about that RVD/Jericho match.. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?

Bray Wyatt is awesome, that's about it. And I'll admit, I'm worried about the Cena/Bryan match at SS. I mean, I don't know if Cena can lift Bryan up for the AA.

• Like 2

Man, the guy who writes the Raw write-ups on the Torch is the worse

Cena then asked about Fahn...Dang...Oh, which drew a mix of a lot of noise.

Uh, they were singing his theme music?  Was he not listening.

What happened to #1 contender's being established by winning matches? Sure, Bryan was on a winning streak over top foes in recent weeks, but that was not the determining factor in establishing Bryan as Cena's next opponent in this segment. It wasn't even incorporated into The Decision. It felt more like WWE's insecurity issues coming into play as they seek validation from the audience, acting like they've given up on telling the best stories and just ask the crowd what they want to see. Cena vs. Bryan is a strong PPV title match at this point - and the crowd reaction is there to back up Bryan as the #1 contender - but the way they got there reeked of Bryan winning a contest or sweepstakes - a la how TNA presented Chris Sabin getting a TNA Title shot - instead of Bryan "earning the title shot," AND THEN the crowd going nuts because Bryan was clearly the best choice to face Cena.

Since when has WWE established #1 contenders by winning streaks.  Ryback turned a series of losses, then a cheap-shot attack on Cena into a World Title series.  Mark Henry got a #1 contendership after faking retirement.  WWE rarely sets up #1 contenders as "this guy's on a winning streak" anyways, but it's all moot because Daniel Bryan HAS been on a winning streak which negates the whole complaining.

"WWE's insecurity issues"?  There's been a pretty consistent storyline with Bryan since WM feeling he's the weak link, getting over that and becoming the most popular guy on the roster, with the announcers putting him over pretty hard every week.  I don't understand how Cena choosing the most popular wrestler/with a pretty consistent winning record comes across as a "sweepstakes" winner.

Anyways, I missed most of the RVD-Y2J match...was it bad?  Cuz the crowd was super into it.  Also, I really wanted Henry to stand toe-to-toe with The Shield for a little longer.  Actually, I really wanted to see him beat them into a retreat, but it was still a pretty awesome segment.  Can't believe I missed the Wyatts.

The fall Dolph took over the top was frightening, really glad he seemed to be okay. Big E also felt like a mini-Vader with his run in, it was awesome.

So sad Brawler didn't get picked at the end :( and Ryder didn't even get a mention by his buddy Cena, poor guy.

I liked Jericho-RVD but it took a long time to get going, honestly thought they'd hold that one off til Summerslam. 

I thought it was a really good Raw. Probably even a great one.I loved the two intertwined major arcs of the night -- Brad Maddox making his debut and Cena's big announcement. Maddox was great tonight -- a nervous kid keeping composed on the biggest night of his professional life. I hope they keep him like that for a while. He made stuff happened and got out of the way. Even the HHH/Steph nonsense was kept to a minimum. The reveal at the end was magnificent with how over Bryan is. Going to be a fun few weeks.

Randy/Fandango was really good. Orton's interesting again as the guy with the briefcase. Fandango's in the right spot -- a goofball character who can hang with this big boys. His upset of Jericho at WM is going to go a long way in matches like this for a very long time.I thought this was Henry's best mic work ever, and that says a lot. He was humble without being weak. He had a great retort to the "You Tapped Out" chant. The Triple Powerbomb was nasty. Henry vs. The Shield will rule.Dolph/Del Rio was great again. I loved AJ's turn and Big E's sucker job. I was hoping for AJ to end up with Del Rio but I'll take this. They're going to have a Cena/Punk like series of matches when they're both legitimate main eventers.R-Truth's rapping character is probably my least favorite act in wrestling history. The Wyatt Family's destruction of him was great. Bray Wyatt's Howard Beale Leading A Cult shtick is brilliant. I've never been this excited for a new character. I want him to end The Streak. He's going to have a few world titles. He has that "it" factor and had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. They're going to have to figure out how to play him since he's going to be the most over guy in the company in a few months.The Usos/Real Americans was fine. Naomi starting to get the next Diva face push is fine. She looks athletic enough for the spot.Sandow trying to maintain his dignity by reminding everyone he still has the briefcase was awesome. Cody had great fire as the suit wearing house-on-fire. Good start to the feud. JBL did make a good point about how Sandow won fair and square. But, still, Sandow was a jerk about it.

LOVED the Heyman/Punk segment. Heyman was masterful in his explanation and his look of worry helped get Punk's threats over. Punk was great showing fighting spirit against Brock. That F5 onto the table was nasty. Super excited because I think Punk's great working as an underdog.I thought I was going to hate Jericho/RVD. They had that blown corner spot and some bad placement. But I came around at the end and thought it was a good match. It was two old veterans who know every trick in the book going at it. They're nowhere near as athletic as they were but they still know what they're doing. It had the feel of a 2nd round US Open match circa 2004 between someone like Todd Martin and Andre Agassi -- neither guy was going to win the whole tournament, but their five-set match was still really great. I loved RVD's forward flip splash -- he busted that out to the floor against Bam Bam when he won the TV Title in ECW.A very enjoyable night of Raw.

• Like 1

Big E is definitely squashing Dolph at the SummerFest.  Wyatt family is great.  Bray Wyatt will be big, but I'm seeing big things for Luke Harper as well.  I'm going to pull an James Cornette/Matt Morgan and say that he will be main eventing Mania within the next 6 years.  Brock was just a beast.  It looked like he was tossing around a 13 year old kid. 

• Like 1