DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 12/27/13

victor

You saw a lot of crazy shit in that match, like a pile of great mat wrestling at the start, a Shiranui (I TOLD YOU THE FUCKING MOVE WOULD SHOW UP), and Cena's moveset being broken up every time it got standard by Rollins. That was a great fucking match. Cena's selling was off the charts, Rollins' confidence was too, Ambrose got kicked right in the face accidentally by Reigns coming over the table. That was really, really good.

EDIT: I also have to mention how good the Shield was on the apron, going from antagonism to dejection towards the end, with shots of Ambrose rolling his eyes and Reigns having a "sitting at a funeral" look on his face. Meanwhile Rollins never missed a beat, always looking mean and confident. Great stuff.

• Like 4

Watching and reviewing in piecemeal. Man, that Usos/Wyatt match was a great friggin' sprint. It wasn't as good as Raven/Kaz in the "All Time Best Under Five Minute Match" pantheon but this told a great story. The Usos came in with a gameplan and tried to execute it -- do whatever they can to end this match as early as possible. Jey (or maybe Jimmy) attacks Rowan right from the start to send him to the floor. Harper to the floor and Jey makes his crazy ass dive to the floor to take out Rowan. This essentially makes it Jimmy versus Luke. Jimmy tries to use his super stiff kicks and a few roll-up attempts to get a quick win. He also busts out a crazy 360 flip thing that almost gets the win, too. Rowan ends up back on the apron. Jimmy runs into a forearm from Rowan and turns into Harper's lariat of death. Great little story here -- The Usos came so close to beating the dominating, methodical Wyatts in a well-thought out sprint but couldn't execute. The Wyatt Family's tear still continues. Good, tight match.

We would have been crazy about that Usos/Wyatts match in 1999 if it was on Raw then.

I love living in an era when a match that solid is a complete afterthought in a week that has given us Rhodes/Bryan vs. The Usos, Superfriends/Shield, Cesaro/Regal and now apparently Cena/Rollins which I haven't gotten to yet but can't wait.

We would have been crazy about that Usos/Wyatts match in 1999 if it was on Raw then.

First thing I thought after that match was over was how much it reminded me of the early Hardy Boys matches. Fun stuff. Rowan and Harper are a great sprint team, too, because it really helps to hide Rowan's weaknesses and Harper can hit his big moves in rapid  succession.

The Shield series was really fun, and I think a big part of it was all 4 non-participants work around ringside. Ambrose and Henry never stopped selling their matches, and Reigns was tearing it up with his facial expressions and trash talk as per usual. Then the final brawl was very effective with no wasted motion and ensured no one lost any heat. The individual matches were all pretty good too. Roman looked amazing in his match against Henry. I'm fully on board with him now. His strikes were on point, he showed a great mix of speed and power, and had a videogame-esque finishing run. I think Cena/Rollins could've benefited from being a little shorter. Didn't really buy the first half with Rollins controlling Cena in a slugfest. The bomb-trading finishing run was as good of one as you'll see in that style, though. Rollins is going to be a really good upper midcard/main event babyface one day. He's everything Dolph Ziggler wants to be, but effortlessly.

• Like 1

How many title defenses has Ambrose actually made with the US title anyway? Less than 5?

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=3940&page=4

Re series of matches on SMackdown.

Roman/Henry went right before Rollins/Cena. Of course Henry got speared but during the Rollins/Cena match. Mark Henry started smacking the apron to get the crowd into it and it caused his "ribs to hurt more" so he started kicking the steel steps instead. Henry sold that spear the whole time. That was great man.

Everyone is sleeping on the We The People track jacket. That's so perfect for a smarmy jock like Swagger.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one seeing Rollins hanging off of Cena saying to themselves "GANSO BOMB!!!"

That whole power bomb spotwas nuts.

Did the US version of Smackdown clip any of the matches for advert breaks this week? Because for at least the last two weeks, all the matches on the UK version have been in full - Rollins/Cena and Ziggler/Orton both had a couple minutes worth of silence during them, and then later references on commentary to "what just happened on the app" and "welcome back to Smackdown", even though nothing was cut out from either match and it hadn't cut to a break.

That PROBABLY would have been a better match if it ended after the Power Bomb. Some of the things they did after that were good and/or interesting but yeah, the power bomb should have ended it. It was a lot like that Punk vs Cena match I love (the one where Punk counters all of Cena's signature moves and that's how he stays in it. Brian knows which one it is), but to me at least, Punk beating on Cena is more believable than Rollins did it.

I totally bought it in this match so great job to both guys both in the offense and the selling.

Everyone is sleeping on the We The People track jacket. That's so perfect for a smarmy jock like Swagger.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one seeing Rollins hanging off of Cena saying to themselves "GANSO BOMB!!!"

I was actually thinking Styles Clash.

I was actually thinking Styles Clash.

I thought the same thing since he busted that out not too long ago.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was testing him for torch passing.

I looked at it like this - Ambrose has been the mouth, Reigns is being setup for a long burning face turn which will probably see him dethorne Ambrose for the US or US+IC unified title. This was a showcase for Rollins, to remind people that he isn't just "The other guy" in the Shield and that he will be a more than viable midcard-to-upper midcard talent once the group implodes.

He's the new (and better) Jeff Hardy.

Better in that there are no drugs and fat girls.

Better all around. I try to see the good in every wrestler and try to be positive about as many guys as I can, but Hardy has zero redeeming qualities and I will never understand his popularity.