DVDVR Message Board

THE FUTURE OF MARCH MADNESS

jaedmc

MARCH MADNESS CHANGES  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which countries should be involved?

• USA ONLY
    • USA/JAPAN ONLY
    • THE WHOLE GLOBE (LUCHA/PURO/AMERICAN/SENEGALESE)

I've included Sara Del Rey once. If we expand the scope then that means I've gotta look at the Joshi wrestlers too. And some of them are legit better than a lot of the US guys. 

People vote on their own criteria though. It took a year or two to tie things down to the 12 month period which is why Foley got so high one year. I could see that someone might enjoy Emma's antics in interview with Renee Young more than epic matches from some Joshi wrestler, even if they watched the footage.

I'm just saying, go check out some of these Joshi broads. Some of them are fucking boss. Some of that "Gameplan" wrestling that I'm always going on about.

I definitely think this should have an open field and include any Japanese or Mexican wrestlers who people are willing to make a case for. Of course they won't win it, of course they'll probably lose to WWE midcarders and aggravate their fans, but in the meantime at least some people will make an effort to watch wrestling they wouldn't usually. If someone posts a great Rush match, there's a good chance I'll end up getting to watch a great Rush match, which is worthwhile in and of itself. I might still vote for Roman Reigns over him because I've seen literally fifty times more of his matches, but at least I'll have broadened my horizons a bit.

Before I vote: where's this Senegalese wrestling? I feel like I've missed out on something quite spectacular there.

It's more a joke off the chit chat thread. Someone posted a Senegalese wrestling match and their entrances got me fucking hyped as hell.

I think every effort should be made to encourage people to go beyond WWE/TNA/ROH and experience the great big world of professional wrestling. Watch lucha, watch puro, watch old World of Sport tapes with Johnny Saint, watch 70's-era Giant Rousimoff in Japan, watch joshi. It's a big wide world out there, and there is so much better shit out there than the latest Miz-Kofi match.

That said, a large segment of the voting population doesn't want to, or just doesn't have the time to. Hell, a lot of the voters don't even watch TNA, and while I can't exactly blame them for that, it does mean that this poll is always going to come down to who had the best year in WWE, especially now that WWE has finally gotten better about finding those Punk/Bryan types and bringing them into the fold. I think there's room for a Best in Lucha/Best in Japan/Best Women's wrestler poll out there, but March Madness is about mass appeal. US only.

• Like 1

I think every effort should be made to encourage people to go beyond WWE/TNA/ROH and experience the great big world of professional wrestling. Watch lucha, watch puro, watch old World of Sport tapes with Johnny Saint, watch 70's-era Giant Rousimoff in Japan, watch joshi. It's a big wide world out there, and there is so much better shit out there than the latest Miz-Kofi match.

I think the more we talk up the positives the more people will catch on, which is why I lean towards including everything. It's gonna be rough the first year, but maybe it builds next year because a handful caught on. And they told two friends. And they told two friends.

If we can make Chris Masters important, we can make watching Lucha important too. But we gotta start somewhere.

• Like 1

I went for the whole globe option, wouldn't have a clue how to structure it though. Mexico and Japan should be well represented I think, maybe some play-in votes to get people looking at and talking about these guys in advance. Same for the (rest of the) rest of the world, fighting it out for a handful of spots or something.

I went for the whole globe option, wouldn't have a clue how to structure it though. Mexico and Japan should be well represented I think, maybe some play-in votes to get people looking at and talking about these guys in advance. Same for the (rest of the) rest of the world, fighting it out for a handful of spots or something.

I think it'll probably just be structured the same as before. Psuedo-random. I don't think separating them into their own brackets will help anything. People will just ignore those threads. But if I put Okada in with Dean Ambrose, then people who don't know his work might actually be tempted to check it out before they vote Ambrose anyway.