DVDVR Message Board

WWE RAW IS CM PUNK LOOKED BELIEVABLE AGAINST LESNAR TONIGHT

Gonzalez

That was a good episode of Raw.

Orton and Fandango had a solid match. Orton again shows he's one of the few that knows how to work a good and kayfabe-believable match against a lower-ranked guy.

Ziggler/ADR was the least of their recent matches, but still not too bad. Kinda hope Del Rio makes the low superkick his main finisher. It looked especially good on Ziggler tonight. It's too bad AJ's had so many on-screen breakups in the last year, because the writing for this one was pretty good, but we've seen her "go crazy" so many times it didn't stand out at all. Ziggler/Langston has to happen, I guess, but it doesn't seem like the best thing for Dolph. Wonder who's gonna go after ADR now.

I liked the Wyatt Family segment again this week. Wonder what would happen if they got really over as faces. Truth looked kinda stupid in this segment, but I guess that's basically his job these days. Looking forward to the Zack Ryder beatdown next week.

The Shield looked relevant again by attacking Mark Henry. They should've saved his retirement speech for this segment. Loved Henry not backing down. Hopefully they get to do something good at Summer Slam.

Kind of funny to watch the worst guy in WWE title MITB beat the winner of the World title MITB. Not a big deal because Christian can pick up those wily veteran wins credibly and Sandow has a long way to go before cashing in is worth while.

The Punk/Lesnar segment was very well done. The dueling promos were solid, but nothing mind-blowing, but then Lesnar came out and immediately made it better like only he can. Punk repeatedly getting up and charging at Lesnar, but clearly getting weaker each time made both guys look good and *it looked credible.*

Jericho/RVD was fine middle-aged spotfest match.

Brad Mad-Ox is making the most of his new role. His awkward interactions with everyone are perfect. The setup for Cena/Bryan was pretty lazy, but given the match, who really cares? 

Summer Slam is looking like a good show. Although I guess with Cena/Bryan and Punk/Lesnar, there's not much they could do to make it look bad. Even if the only other match was a 90-minute Miz/Ryback iron man, I'd still buy it. 

Summer Slam is looking like a good show. Although I guess with Cena/Bryan and Punk/Lesnar, there's not much they could do to make it look bad. Even if the only other match was a 90-minute Miz/Ryback iron man, I'd still buy it. 

Yeah I might be ordering my first non WrestleMania PPV in a while. Last time I bought SummerSlam was 2007.

Definitely RVD's longest singles match in years.

Was it longer than the Bobby Roode ladder match from last year, or the Jerry Lynn fimal match from February? Because those were a couple of long ones.

I'm super stoaked for that Summerslam match. It would be awesome if Punk came out with Rener Gracie and the rest of the Gracie camp (this would include BJJ Blackbelt Ed O'Neil in full garb).

As a fan of Ed O'Neil , Brazilian Jiujitsu black belt.  I approve!

Having seen the first third of the Raw, I think it was really smartly booked for WHERE it was. They let Fandango get a big moment the only place in the country where he'd really get that sort of a reaction and gifted the crowd by giving them him almost immediately. They let Cena have a lot of fun (DUTCH MANTELL? etc). They booked the AJ/Ziggler thing in front of one of the crowds that would be most in to him almost winning. Even the Henry/Shield stuff which was very even and they were super into. You wish that they could be this smart every week or even half this smart.

I kind of wish they had run with the Ziggler/AJ/Langston trio with confusing face/heel dynamics for a little bit though. In general, I like how happy AJ's music seems to make her.

Count me in as a fan of the RVD vs Jericho match. I didn't know RVD had that much left, that frog splash looked great. As happy as I am about DBryan vs Cena they could have held off and done Cena vs RVD and I would have understood. DBryan vs RVD would an interesting match by the way.

I'm having doubts about the Wyatt family. That red beard dude is terrible. Who are they going to fued with? Kane & Undertaker? Pass. I like the gimmick but they'd be a way better unit with the Briscoes in place of Rowan.

The Shield vs Henry also worries. A handicap match cuts the balls off the Shield and any partners for Henry would likely be jobbers like the PTP.

I was thinking after Randy Orton came out and talked to Cena about how he will never see it coming, it would be a pretty awesome change for Orton if he waits until Cena loses to cash in, and then turns in to a complete chicken shit heel trying to dodge Cena because he knows he can't beat him. We would get promos about how he can't fight Cena because of Doctor's orders saying his IED would come back. It would be glorious. 

I liked this Raw a lot. I thought all the matches were good. RVD really tried very hard, which was impressive in its own right. I thought it was probably a mistake to send Wyatt out there to cut a promo live, but he knocked it out of the park. Daniel Bryan is so over, its crazy. It was fun for me explaining to my girlfriend that in 2006, everyone was saying that he didn't have enough charisma to ever get over in WWE. 

I was thinking after Randy Orton came out and talked to Cena about how he will never see it coming, it would be a pretty awesome change for Orton if he waits until Cena loses to cash in, and then turns in to a complete chicken shit heel trying to dodge Cena because he knows he can't beat him. We would get promos about how he can't fight Cena because of Doctor's orders saying his IED would come back. It would be glorious. 

I thought you were going to say that it'll be revealed that Randy Orton wasn't the real "Randy Orton". He was just an actor who was paid to play "Orton". Then the following week Bryan comes out to the ring in a tribal tattoo robe, talks about being into ancient St. Louis History, and that he was the real Viper all along. 

Van Dam wrestled that match like it was the only one he'd ever get on Raw.  Does anyone feel the need to see him again after he ran through all of his spots?

I know this isn't a revelation or anything but damn does RVD throw the weakest looking forearm strikes I've ever seen.  You would figure a guy who's not afraid to stiff someone with his kicks would put a bit more force into his forearms.

Put me in the camp that thinks that Orton screwing D-Bry out of the championship would be AWESOME.  Especially if he were to attack them both during the finishing stretch of the match, get someone DQ'd, then pin Cena in his MITB cash in immediately.  Why?  Because I would FUCKING HATE HIM for it.  And that's pro wrestling.

Daniel Bryan will be WWE champion.  More than once.  We've got years and years of him at the top.

The red bearded oaf does look pretty shitty in the ring.  Reminds me of Kentucky Fried Kronik.  Wyatt, however, looked awesome and seriously intense.  His star should rise quickly, and with the insane amount of build they've given him over the past months, and his lineage, I think he's another guy who will spend a long time near the top.

• Like 3

Enjoyable show. I enjoyed RVD/Jericho even though apparently I was the only one.

I think it was a good demonstration of RVD's value. I hope he sticks around. Isn't Jericho due to leave soon?

His hair though. Dude is in his 40s and has that on his head.

Would you really want him to come out with short hair?

And what, no hating on the Punk segment?

I thought Wyatt and Harper were great, and didn't think Rowan was so bad that it hurt the segment.

According to Meltzer, apparently the Jericho/Van Dam was only supposed to go 14 minutes, but they cancelled the Daniel Bryan/Wade Barrett match and gave that time to Jericho/Van Dam which is why the match went so long (and why RVD ran out of gas.)

I thought this was one of the better RAWs in a long time.  This is one of the rare times where the matches they are booking are all fresh, and all ones I want to see.

No way on RVD's hair.  He's an aging stoner and that's how it should stay.  And Jericho needs to grow his back, it's still pretty thick and won't stay that way forever.

I did enjoy the match, though.  Good Raw.  Really only fast-forwarded the first hour.  Love how over Bryan is.  Wyatt's are great.  Truth spending all that time on that awful rap and then getting destroyed was fantastic.  Henry/Shield is great.  Enjoyed the return of batshit AJ.

Any word on why they'd cancel Bryan/Barrett?

Rowan has been at least passable in NXT against some pretty "eh" opponents at time. Harper's the workhorse of the team and is terrific. Rowan's good at hitting a few big man moves -- nothing complex -- and getting beat up since he's the more backwards of the two. I can't see why anyone was criticizing him last night -- perfectly find at beating up R-Truth and executing the trap Bray laid on him as a distraction.

• Like 1

Any word on why they'd cancel Bryan/Barrett?

No, but I wouldn't be surprised they did it to make sure Bryan would get the biggest pop of the night with his one and only appearance.