DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

Never beat XII or XII. At some point I just stopped caring with the former while I spent too long away from the latter and don't want to restart even though its what I have to do. Still haven't even started XV.

Same for me with XII. I actually gave it another chance half a year ago, but still the same outcome. And before I try that game again, I actually might replay VIII first. The only positive about XII might be the art style, everything else (story, main characters, fighting system, license-board system) is bad. I also have no clue, what the idea about the chaining-system is. Getting bonus item drops if you kill dozens of the same kind of monsters is just weird (and except in some cases, a nuisance).

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

I tried getting her into SNES games with my Super Nintendo Classic and aside from Legend of Zelda and Secret of Mana, she's not all that into old looking games.

The other ones my wife and I thought about getting my daughter were Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or even just getting FF7 because even if my daughter doesn't like FF7, I'll probably still play it at some point. Then again, I'll also wind up playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I know I got here late, but my personal favorite I didn't see mentioned was FF X. Yuna is the lead, it's a great heroic tragedy of a story, and it's still turn based. 

• Like 2

In getting deeper into builds and replaying through for the alternate path's and watching the story closer, I'm on board with some of the wacky theories, and have started to think this is less FF7 Remake and more FF7-2.

15 hours ago, Raziel said:

In getting deeper into builds and replaying through for the alternate path's and watching the story closer, I'm on board with some of the wacky theories, and have started to think this is less FF7 Remake and more FF7-2.

I want to hear more about this, but I suspect I should finish the remake first.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:37 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

I just realized that if they keep remaking FFVII, they're going to have to pronounce Cait Sith.

"Kate" Sith. Right? ...Right?

On 5/10/2020 at 1:47 PM, Eivion said:

I want to hear more about this, but I suspect I should finish the remake first.

Yeah, you need the ending before getting into the specifics.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 3:11 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

"Ket Shee". Probably.

That's correct!  When this game was out originally, I was in the private sector and worked with a Scottish guy who gave me dirty looks whenever I butchered the name.

One day out of pure frustration he just yelled out KET SHEE, DAMMIT~!

• Haha 2

I'm up to chapter 8 on FF7 and so far I love it. I think my daughter is up to chapter 9 and she's digging it a lot as well, which is surprising because the combat can be pretty difficult. If I had any gripes it's that the dialogue is kinda shitty at times, but this is also essentially anime so that's to be expected. 

I'm in Chapter 13 right now. The drop held a lot more weight to me this time around than it did in the original. The changes are also starting to feel a bit more pronounced as well. That or maybe its just been too long since I last played the original.

Edited by Eivion

30 minutes ago, Red is Dead said:

Question from the cheap seats - do you have to have played original polygon FFVII to understand FFVIIR?

No, not really. I'm a few chapters in (my hands have been giving me hell the last couple weeks, can't hold a controller for any length of time) and they are introducing the characters the same way they did in the original. You will be just as confused/intrigued as those of us who first played the old version without spoilers. ? 

51 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

No, not really. I'm a few chapters in (my hands have been giving me hell the last couple weeks, can't hold a controller for any length of time) and they are introducing the characters the same way they did in the original. You will be just as confused/intrigued as those of us who first played the old version without spoilers. ? 

Just with years of wait to figure out what's going on.

Though, to be fair, I played it as a teenager and I don't think I really figured out what was going on until I replayed it in the 00s.

1 hour ago, Red is Dead said:

Question from the cheap seats - do you have to have played original polygon FFVII to understand FFVIIR?

No, although some of the bigger reveals won't have the impact if you're not familiar with the Compilation.  And not come close to understanding half the theories about the storyline.

I think @Raziel said it, but I do tend to agree that there's way too much Materia in the game or that it's too easy to obtain. I'm still on chapter 8, I just beat Shiva in the VR training to get her summon Materia, and along with that I got 4 more Materia from that kid. I have so much Materia that I know I'll never use. Even worse, it takes so long to level up Materia and there's no real grinding in this game like there was in FF7 and so 75% to 80% of all of this Materia will never get higher than level 1. Part of that is also a lack of diversity to who and what you're fighting. I almost always use Fire, Lightning, Assess, and Cure Materia. That's it. I'll see multiple enemies that are weak against Wind and Ice Materia, but Fire and Lightning still fuck them up pretty bad.

I'm also nearly at the halfway point so maybe that will change for the other half of the game. So far though, there's Materia everywhere. 

EDIT: I think it would have been better to limit the amount of Materia available and just keep the leveling at the same speed or keep the abundance of Materia the same and increase how fast you can level it up.

Edited by Craig H

The higher it levels, the slower it goes.  However, by the end of the game, I had Lightning, Cure, and Fire maxed.  And while you can get a ton of the green and pink materias, Yellow and Blue are rarer and the really helpful stuff, like the Absorbs and Elementals, and Enhance, are pretty much only 1 or 2, period (can't grind chapter playthroughs).  

However, maxed Materia and different builds are necessary for Hard mode.  I got the team up to Level 42 and haven't found the fight builds to beat Bahamut yet.  They kinda built the system for endgame and replays, as you can't get deep into character builds until later.  And I'm still not sure how it's going to carry over to Part 2 yet (Yuffie stealing everything is a cop out, but taking a maxxed Level 50 team into the next game would be serious overkill since Cloud can get to Max damage.)

Eh, I doubt I play this on Hard mode. Honestly, Normal is hard enough. My daughter played this first because it was her game for her birthday and she was getting her ass kicked very, very early on. Some of that is because of the learning curve, but it's not like she's terrible at video games. She's good enough at Celeste, which requires a ton of quick button presses in a precise amount of time, and she's on her second playthough of Breath of the Wild, which can be as brutal as Dark Souls at times. I still thought that maybe it's because she's 10 and she's just not that good at video games yet or whatever.

And then I played it and was surprised at how many times after basic fights against lowly Shinra enemies or other lowly creatures that my health would be at half. Potions are extremely abundant though (I don't think I've had less than 30 potions and I'm probably at 50 potions at 20 hi-potions right now) so you can always heal, but the power level of enemies and how much some enemies are damage sponges is pretty crazy. Given that, I can't imagine how difficult hard mode would be.

Someone answer this question for me. I swear I recall that Tifa was very attitude-y and was pretty hard nosed in FF7. In remake she's really sweet and kind. Am I confusing Tifa with someone else or am I just conflating personalities from across the multiple FF games I've played? I mean, it could be the latter, but I'm almost positive Tifa wasn't sweet at all in the original FF7.

Oh, one last gripe: I think I prefer Cloud as a silent protagonist. He is such a little punk ass bitch throughout this entire game so far. I really, really don't like him and I almost want to see him get run through by Masamune than someone else. I don't even think he was like this in Advent Children. Personally, I think they fucked up the tone of Cloud and that comes to a head when he's just a complete piece of shit to the kids in the slums of Sector 5. I sat there wondering what the fuck his problem was. It was as bad when he was at Aerith's house. Aerith's mom should have bitch slapped him.