DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

I'd suggest, if you had time, just doing a 2nd run through (you can do it on Normal, and you're WAAAAAAAY the fuck overleveled for early game Normal Mode stuff), just go go back and see that there were so many clues to where they were going before they smacked you over the head with it once you ended up in the Portal and against the Harbinger.  

Yeah, we got Nomura'd.  I'm thinking the 7 seconds is going to be THAT scene.  I don't think anything's gonna get handwaved and we're right where we're supposed to be, mostly because it's a Nomura game and he's not really one for dangling plot lines.

• Like 1

I think I noticed where some of those clues were throughout the game. I guess we're getting into more spoilery talk, but I kinda felt early on that Aerith was "not of this world" or rather, had some sort of memory from FF7. If I get bored enough I'll maybe do another play through. I finished the game at level 41 on everyone so getting up to 50 shouldn't be hard.

The whole story is still incredibly ambitious. Maybe the biggest story I've seen in a video game. My daughter is just at the beginning of chapter 16 on her run and I now almost feel like say, ok, let's pause on where we're at with this and play the entire original game. I already got excited seeing Cait Sith when the plate drops, but...

Spoiler

I marked out for Red XIII. I then got super excited seeing the original FF7 endgame scenes, cutscenes of Meteor being cast, and other stuff.

I think I want her to experience all of that and the sadness of Aerith's death so that when she gets to the end of FF7R, it all makes more sense for what's happening. She should be able to understand it and for the stuff she doesn't understand it'll be easy to explain. Also, I'd just love to go back through FF7 and Crisis Core again...Just not Dirge of Ceberus. I like Vincent Valentine, but I doubt THAT game will be relevant in this grander story.

The biggest bummer about all of this is going to be the wait for the next part in this story. It's probably 2 years away at best, but maybe I'm wrong. I just now wonder what that second game is going to be. When I first thought this was an actual remake, I figured that the next part would be getting the airship, doing all of the stuff outside of Midgar, maybe giving more story to the weapons, having a really cool 30 minute fight against Emerald Weapon, seeing what Knights of the Round looks like when it's re-made, Yuffie, Vincent, etc.

Also, the combat system for FF7R is one of the best I played. Early on it kinda sucked, but I was eventually chaining combos together with Tifa (who is ultra OP), giving commands to Barrett on the fly to use his abilities, switching over to Cloud to chain a combo together, and then switching back to Tifa right when Starstorm is ending to do the next thing with her. It's so much fun.

Tifa is such a fucking BEAST in this game, especially when you start figuring out out to layout the command shortcuts and learn that Divekick is an animation cancel that you can use to chain stuff together (then getting into Stagger increasing).  Cloud's a self healing beast if you have the right materia loadout and Countestance.

Storywise, yeah, I've seen stuff with Nomura who's said "yeah, we just went all in with the "Remake" part where we're changing up significant stuff".  A lot of how successful this is gonna end up is how they handle things going forward.  Are we brand new here on out?  Are the whispers coming back?  

Given that Sepiroth seemed to be actively using them, plus how we got the subversion of the final encounter of OG7, I'm guessing the whispers will be back, since Sepiroth almost seems to be making sure things happened as they were because he ultimately WON, and Aerith got monkey pawed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think I want her to experience all of that and the sadness of Aerith's death so that when she gets to the end of FF7R, it all makes more sense for what's happening. She should be able to understand it and for the stuff she doesn't understand it'll be easy to explain. Also, I'd just love to go back through FF7 and Crisis Core again...Just not Dirge of Ceberus. I like Vincent Valentine, but I doubt THAT game will be relevant in this grander story.

And even if he is, Dirge is a 5 hour game plot chock full of nonsense so that Nomura's crush Gackt can have some lines stretched out into a 12 hour game full of ridiculous puzzles and nonsense. The soundtrack's pretty good, tho, Masashi Hamauzu never disappoints. 

Alright. Original FF7 purchased on PSN. Time to take that deep dive with my daughter before she finishes FF7R. I put almost 50 hours into my playthrough of FF7R, she's gotta be at 40, and I think I remember FF7 taking less than 40 hours. We should be able to knock FF7 out over the course of a month.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there a good resource for playing FFXIV on PS4? I tried to start it a couple of weeks ago after finally getting my account able to play the trial (I was frozen out of the trial due to setting up a Beta Console login years ago). I created a character, picked a server, and started to walk the world and talk to some of the characters in the first town but the interface stuff seems clunky especially since the game feels like it's running in a web-browser window.

I know control play is popular in the PC space, but it seems like there's extra hurdles on PS4.

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Is there a good resource for playing FFXIV on PS4? I tried to start it a couple of weeks ago after finally getting my account able to play the trial (I was frozen out of the trial due to setting up a Beta Console login years ago). I created a character, picked a server, and started to walk the world and talk to some of the characters in the first town but the interface stuff seems clunky especially since the game feels like it's running in a web-browser window.

I know control play is popular in the PC space, but it seems like there's extra hurdles on PS4.

I found a good article for you, the short version is you may need to tweek some settings to get it to feel less clunky.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I started back on the FF7 Remake, and I'm up to the Airbuster fight, which basically annihilates me in phase 2. Party is at LVL 17 and I've fought everything in my path, so I feel like I'm properly leveled. 

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Square E has trademarked Ever Crisis, First Soldier, and Shinra Electric Company. Whole bunch of us are hoping and praying this means they'll finally re-release Crisis Core (possibly bundled with Before Crisis, the weird mobile game).

Probably sticking a bunch of Core stuff in FFVIIR-2.  I mean, storywise, Pt 2 would start off with the "How Seiphroth went batshit" flashback anyway.

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

I started back on the FF7 Remake, and I'm up to the Airbuster fight, which basically annihilates me in phase 2. Party is at LVL 17 and I've fought everything in my path, so I feel like I'm properly leveled. 

You're not even at the HARD stuff yet...

9 hours ago, Raziel said:

You're not even at the HARD stuff yet...

I had to reteach myself the battle system too, and I guess I need to learn to jump between party members better. Because I'll try to wait for an ATB gauge to fill to issue a spell cast order, and that initial charge is tough. It's bad too because the game is gorgeous to look at, and I love listening to the soundtrack.

Yeah, hardest thing to get down is either swapping to better suited characters or paying attention to the ATB gauges and ordering stuff.   Like the Airbuster fight, you have to use Barrett for the first couple stages while remembering to throw lightning with Cloud/Tifa during your charge up.

Also, you gotta learn the timing abuse Barrett's Overcharge

To be honest, I thought FF7-R was really, really hard and then I basically hit a point where everything was incredibly easy. It's been awhile since I beat it, but I know I went a long time without dying and the final boss fights were easy, but pretty and cool.

I still think the hardest battle for me was against that house in the arena. My daughter and I struggled with that until my wife's friends let us know you can use poison materia on the house to make the fight easy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I still think the hardest battle for me was against that house in the arena. My daughter and I struggled with that until my wife's friends let us know you can use poison materia on the house to make the fight easy. 

That's kind of like in the original when you learn you can use a phoenix down to beat the Cosmo Canyon boss. 

• 1 month later...

The Good:

FFVII Remake's PS5 version will be free if you bought the PS4 version, and saves will carry over platforms (that gets past that "how is the 50 hours you put in going to carry over to Part 2" problem)

We're getting a DLC featuring Yuffie that's probably doing a ton of table setting for Part 2

The Bad:

The DLC is PS5 ONLY.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

During the closing ceremonies of Final Fantasy XIV FanFest 2021, Masayoshi Soken (who has done absolutely amazing things for the MMO, both original music and reimagining Uematsu's work) announced he spent most of 2020 fighting cancer and working on music while most of the other devs did not know.

The cancer is almost full remission, and he fought to be at FanFest and rocking out and playing with his friends.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...