DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

The only place I found it was on youtube during a live entrance once. Otherwise I was never able to find it. It does actually sound pretty badass if you've never heard it before. You can hear it in the beginning of this video for his entrance. They always dropped it out before and now replace it with generic crap on the iPPVs. This is off Samurai! TV, so it's intact.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy5hmc_01-satoshi-kojima-vs-tomohiro-ishii-njpw-03-11-13_sport

Couple off-hand comments after reading the NOAH results today: 

1. 20 minutes of Nagata vs Maybach sounds like a really long time

2. I was excited to see Yone and Ikeda doing so well in the Tag League because in my naive Bati-fanboy mind I thought maybe they were going to bring back Ikeda as a regular with a push and then today I see Yone is the new #1 contender for the GHC and suddenly the mediocrity of NOAH booking is once again reaffirmed for me. 

What the hell's a "Maybach" anyway?

NOAH wrestler Shuhei Taniguchi, wrestling under a mask and being heel-ish.  His no DQ match with KENTA was actually pretty good I thought, he isn't the best wrestler but he is ok at hardcore type matches.  I bet that match was so long only because they did brawling and what not outside the ring, that always eats up time in his matches.

If you meant what a Maybach itself is, I have no idea whatsoever.  Type of car?

Shuhei Taniguchi putting on the mask and becoming Maybach Taniguchi was a very wise move.  Without the mask, Taniguchi looked lost in the ring, and by that I mean facially he looked like he literally didn't know what he was going to do next.  It was legitimately a bad situation.

Donning the mask and becoming a monster heel, not in terms of stature but more playing an odd character, has allowed him to take that unpredictability and use it to his advantage.  He's one of the few wrestlers the audience actually gets nervous around.  You can't see his eyes and he turned up the violence.  Is he a great wrestler now?  Maybe not, but I think the character change probably saved his career.

So, a long match with Nagata is likely okay because they'll fight all over the building, blood may flow from Nagata, and it will be a spectacle.  Taniguchi may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I wouldn't say he's my favorite either, but he fills his role nicely.  It's all a bit brainless, but then again, that's the character he's playing.  

Plus, he uses Ministry's "Thieves" as his theme song, which is fucking tremendous.  

Kobashi's first show

Fortune Dream 1 (6/8/2014) Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
1. Tamon Honda vs. Naoya Nomura
2. Meiko Satomura vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto
3. Kengo Mashimo & Tank Nagai vs. Shuji Ishikawa & Koji Doi
4. AKIRA, Ultimo Dragon & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Yuko Miyamoto, Isami Kodaka & Kazuki Hashimoto
5. Talk Battle: Riki Choshu vs. Kenta Kobashi
6. Akitoshi Saito & Kotaro Suzuki vs. Masato Tanaka & Fujita “Jr” Hayato
7. Kohei Sato & Yuji Hino vs. Daisuke Sekimoto & Kento Miyahara

Guest Edwin

Kikuchi used to be some awesome. Kobashi should bring him back in some roll. Maybe as a commissioner, referee or some type of personality.

I'm going to assume Osaka Pro had some kind of contract for the gimmick, so he was forced to give it up, but perhaps he just wanted to go with this.

So besides Zeus getting work in AJ and Kotoge (and maybe Harada too?) becoming a regular in NOAH, are any of the Osaka guys getting a chance as freelancers? What ever happened to guys like Billy Ken Kid, Tsubasa and Black Buffalo? I liked Tadasuke as well.

Oh well checking the results and apparently they're still running as of a week ago. When exactly are they shutting it down?

So besides Zeus getting work in AJ and Kotoge (and maybe Harada too?) becoming a regular in NOAH, are any of the Osaka guys getting a chance as freelancers? What ever happened to guys like Billy Ken Kid, Tsubasa and Black Buffalo? I liked Tadasuke as well.

Oh well checking the results and apparently they're still running as of a week ago. When exactly are they shutting it down?

4/29 looks to be the last show.

Black Buffalo is doing a match for Mr. Gannosuke's group but is being advertised as the former ___ with new gimmick forthcoming.

Billy Ken Kid and Tsubasa are doing at least one match for Dove.