DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Selfies (16 Dec 2013)

Dolfan in NYC

This was actually the first full episode of Raw that I've watched since the night after Money in the Bank 2011. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Especially, the more tag match orientated format. I loved the Big E/Mark Henry vs. Swagger/Cesaro match and the 6 man tag was pretty damn good too. I'm not as high on the main event as a lot of people seem. It was definitely a very good match but I would hesitate to put it in MOTYC territory. All in all, I'm glad I watched and I'm definitely going to watch next week.

I'm thinking that Ryback and Axel are the new Power and Glory and I'm pretty ok with that. 

I said this exact thing to my friends & they told me I was nuts. They feel very old school 80's heel to me. I dig 'em but they seem like jobbers right now. I even said in the Chit Chat thread all they need is a Slick style manager. Not a Heyman.

• Like 1

I'm thinking that Ryback and Axel are the new Power and Glory and I'm pretty ok with that. 

I said this exact thing to my friends & they told me I was nuts. They feel very old school 80's heel to me. I dig 'em but they seem like jobbers right now. I even said in the Chit Chat thread all they need is a Slick style manager. Not a Heyman.

I was thinking about it and then their garbage win last night cemented it for me. And I agree, they need a mouthpiece. What's Aksana doing? She could be a decent Slick replacement.

In reference to the thread title, per the Observer:

"The selfie gimmick by the announcers on Raw was Vince McMahon's personal outrage over Barack Obama taking a selfie during Nelson Mandela's funeral. Vince was a big Mandela supporter and is not a fan whatsoever of Obama."

Kind of wish Nikki would use the burning hammer as a finish.

Because if there's one person on the WWE roster who should get a dangerous head-dropping finisher from 90's-era AJPW, it's the less talented Bella...

Reactions like this is what makes it work. 

But more seriously, doing "movez" would probably help the divas stand out a lot, since I don't think anyone but AJ has had a storyline or character worth a damn in 3+ years. Yes, ok, if we need to cut through the sarcasm, we can probably leave out the burning hammers and TD91s, but surely some of them are capable of doing a shiranui or northern lights bomb or something. When you're talking about matches and wrestlers with such low expectations, one move actually can make a big difference to how they're perceived. 

AJ's gimmick should just be one of a Marufuji cosplayer. She could wear "What would Naomichi do?" bracelets and have a creepy room full of nothing but his posters. In the middle of the room there'd be a huge altar at which she would sacrifice her opponents after defeating them, preferably with this playing in the backgroung.

"The selfie gimmick by the announcers on Raw was Vince McMahon's personal outrage over Barack Obama taking a selfie during Nelson Mandela's funeral. Vince was a big Mandela supporter and is not a fan whatsoever of Obama."

I fear the direction this thread is about to take.... Everyone be on your best behavior!

I thought the women's tag was a million times better than it had any right to be. They all had their working boots on big time.

I agree. I'm a fan of the divas and have seen at least a million of these pointless, multi-woman tag matches by now. But this one was actually good. and yes, the kick  was sick. 

I fear the direction this thread is about to take.... Everyone be on your best behavior!

The only takeaway from this is how unbelievably insane it is that Vince believes he somehow "delivered a message" about Obama in this way.  Like, this stinging rebuke is resounding through the west wing today and the president's hubris has been exposed!!!!

Just imagine the kind of internet troll this man would have been if he hadn't been born into wrestling.

• Like 4

God don't bring up the Shiranui please. That is too perfect a finisher for WWE right now and I can't stand the move.

I was hoping there would actually be a shock title change for the main event; whole place would have erupted. I can accept the foule given all the lucha I've been watching. Also, him biting the leg was inspired. Bryan's screams of pain were pretty loud. That was all I managed to catch. Replay's on mun2 tomorrow night however.

I must has missed the whole selfie thing last night. Granted around 9pm I put on Fox On Demand and watched Sunday's Family Guy so I guess it happened somewhere in that half hour.

I caught the end of RAW on the DVR and I must say if Randy's new gimmick as champion is to get disqualified/counted out to save the title then I am all for it. It would be so old school for him to keep on holding onto the title like that. In the old days they would just build up to a No DQ or Cage match. I think that kind of deal would work for Randy.

Triple H must be having his minions scouring the old Mid South and Mid Atlantic tapes for ideas.

Armando Estrada, perhaps? or perhaps Enzo Amore tellin' all the other teams how SAWFT they are in comparison to RybAxel.

I really don't get how WWE can so consistently produce Raws that are 10x better than the ppv the night before.

I think it's very considerate of them.  You don't have to waste money on a PPV(outside of Mania, maybe) ever again.

Should have had a schizophrenic sign language interpreter. Would have been more entertaining.

This should have been the Bad News Barrett segment.

"I have some good news and I have some bad news. The good news is that Raw will for tonight have a sign language interpreter. The bad news is its AJ Lee."

See, it works because AJ might be/is crazy and the sign language guy was too. Vince will kill himself if he realized he missed this opportunity.

I really don't get how WWE can so consistently produce Raws that are 10x better than the ppv the night before.

I think it's very considerate of them.  You don't have to waste money on a PPV(outside of Mania, maybe) ever again.

Shit, it's getting that the RAWs after WrestleMania are way more memorable than the actual WrestleManias...

Stealing Laughlin's joke from Facebook shamelessly:

"Have you paid your air bill, little boy?"

I appreciate credit from my material.

I so wanted Los Matadores to be Punk's teammates against the SHIELD.  I wanted to see El Torito do a splash on Roman Reigns then get lawn darted or gorilla press thrown like Lil Spike Dudley

• Like 1

I've said it before, but the burning hammer talk has made me want to repost what I feel is one of my better ideas: instead of coming up with actual matches and the like for the divas, they should just choreograph move for move exact copies of famous matches. I have zero interest in a Bella tag, but I have a morbid curiosity to see the Bellas straight up copy the last eight or do minutes from a random Can Am Express AJPW match. I wonder which diva would do the best Kikuchi impression?