DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Releases

I had a Dreamcast that wouldn't read discs and fixed it by taking it apart and tightening a deal. Look for dreamcast laser recalibration. Pretty simple, no proprietary screwdriver. Also helps to have 3 dreamcasts just in case.

Damn it, I just saw the newest footage from Super Mario 3D World from two weeks or so ago.

Why are you doing this to me, Nintendo? I really don't want to buy your new console, but I want to play this game right now!

For everyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about:

First that Mario Wii U games looks incredible.

Second Watch Dogs had been delayed until spring 2014. I applaud Ubisoft for putting game quality before quarterly fiscal sales. I wonder if GTA V being so spectacular played ANY part in that decision...

That's the truest, ugliest part of game development (and software development): It takes a lot of work to ship even a shitty product.

At the same time, given Ubisoft's history, the idea that a game of theirs would've been too fresh out of the oven to put out is amazing. Oh how I wish I could play the current build for twenty minutes.

I think I'm less bothered that they had to delay the game for 4 months or so than that they waited until their investors' call, 30 days before ship date, to announce it.  It wouldn't bother me if it hadn't been hyped like crazy as a PS4 launch title, but it just kind of seems like something that shoulda been announced before 10/15.   In the end, it doesn't matter much; I will get the game.  I expect I will enjoy the game.  And if anything, this makes me MORE likely to buy it on PS4 rather than PS3 or 360.  But I feel like in a situation where Sony in particular (and to a lesser extent MS) is using it as a system-seller, we should know when they do.

I'm somewhat glad that Ubisoft did delay Watch_Dogs...it was in danger of being overshadowed by AC IV: Black Flag (continuing another Ubisoft tradition of competing their own games against each other), but it lessens the PS4 (and Xbox One) launch a bit. I'll definitely get it as well for the PS4 next year.

With the Watch Dogs news, I cancelled my launch PS4 order since there are really no next gen titles I'm interested in now. It's probably better this way: I'll be able to read reviews of the systems and if something is massively broken, it should be fixed by early next year.

This is actually great news for me. I have GTA Online which I know will keep me busy for a LONG time, and then I have Pokemon XY to buy when I finally get bored of GTAO. It also helps tie in with my not buying a PS4 until next year when I have more money after Christmas, as i'd love to get some kind of limited edition or WATCH_DOGS PS4 pack.

If it makes the game even better, then fair play.

With the Watch Dogs news, I cancelled my launch PS4 order since there are really no next gen titles I'm interested in now. It's probably better this way: I'll be able to read reviews of the systems and if something is massively broken, it should be fixed by early next year.

I'm heavily leaning that way as well.  The only next-gen game I'm DYING to play right now is AC4.  I can wait a few months this time around - I'm sure that shocks some of you considering it's me talking about an AC game - and I want to clear more of my backlog.

I still want the PS4 when I can afford it, maybe it is a good thing I wasn't able to preorder as soon as I thought earlier this year. Watch Dogs and Infamous were the two games I was eyeing at launch.

I'm shocked (in a humorous way) that teabagging folks in a Shootymans game has now reached the part where it's part of a commercial campaign for a new game.

(someone dipping a teabag into a mug repeatedly going.. "Oh you recognize that sound right? You're very familiar with it..."

Dunno if you guys had heard but Driveclub has been delayed into 2014.  Because it was supposed to be a freebie at launch for PS+ folks, Sony is giving away Contrast instead, a game I've never heard of.  Driveclub will be free at release still, just in 2014.

Had a chance this past week to play the Xbox One. I work near Atlanta and I went to 200 Peachtree to see their Area One tour.

A few thoughts I had about the event:

The room was LOUD and dark. Could hardly hear myself think.The controller is one of the best controllers I've ever felt. It felt very well constructed and not like a piece of plastic like the previous/current gen controllers felt. It was like an OG Xbox version of the Xbox 360 controller (if that makes any sense). The thumbsticks felt very precise yet easy on your thumbs. The trigger buttons were comfortable and felt solid -- no 'false presses' like occasionally with the 360 controller.The first game I tried was Forza 5. Very beautiful graphics and it looked amazing.Dead Rising 3's demo didn't really impressed me. I wanted to have a set objective in the time period played instead of running and attacking things (i.e. a case active, etc.) Instead, it was just running around in an outdoor mall/city attacking zombies, which is fun for the most part.Played Peggle 2 and it was Peggle but with an excellent sense of control.Played Crimson Dragon and I was completely impressed by the game....it was actually my favorite game out of all of them. It was hard, yet very fun and very fair. Felt like I was playing Child of Eden but with the flying mount from Panzer Dragoon. What's funny was that one of the people working there had never heard of Panzer Dragoon.....he actually said he doesn't play video games, but was just working there.Saw Kinect Sports Rivals and I loved completely the ode to Wave Race 64 that was the jetski race. Until I played it. I can't tell if it was the setup, but the Kinect controls were awful. Nothing I did seemed to have an effect on what occurred on screen.Tried Ryse but the loading times were too much. I ended up skipping out on it.Didn't play Battlefield 4. First-person shooters are more my thing at home than out in public.Had a very nice chat with one of the booth people and she actually heard of Shadows of the Damned. My feedback was very similar to the above except I wished there would be a Vanquish 2/Shadows of the Damned 2 for XB1. I also talked to her about The Evil Within and she wanted to buy it that day lol. If there were more games like Crimson Dragon available, I would safely say I would consider getting a XB1.

However, there isn't and that's very troubling. There's only so many Forza/Ryse/Halo type of games and most of what I saw didn't feel like it was for me. I tried very hard to have an open mind about the experience and if I didn't have a very large backlog of Xbox 360 games to play, I would be more inclined to get a Xbox One.The booth person swore up and down that Microsoft is trying to attract 'the gamers' to Xbox One with 'artificial intelligence' within the console. I don't know if that's the same thing as the cloud feature that was previously touted and I'm not trying to attack her for trying to sway me one way or another. As I mentioned before, I doubt very seriously I would get either console. I left away feeling unimpressed by the Xbox One based on the games I saw and I wouldn't get the console at launch. But if Microsoft says that their Xbox One controller works on both Xbox 360's and Xbox One's, I would buy their controller in a heartbeat. It was that good.

Tiger Woods and EA have parted ways

EA says it will still produce games taking advantage of its license with the PGA

Meanwhile - Tiger Woods people are apparently negotiating with other people

Tiger Woods and EA have parted waysEA says it will still produce games taking advantage of its license with the PGAMeanwhile - Tiger Woods people are apparently negotiating with other people

There's a rumor going around that 2K Games is going to be doing a next-gen golf game soon (something called 2K Golf Links).

To me a golf game is useless if it doesn't include a pretty large roster of PGA players and a good collection of accurate courses and a way to play a season or career. Unless it goes completely cartoon style and goofy which is cool but a completely different game.

Charlie Brooker has landed a new documentary that will explore the impact video games have had on the world as part of a Channel 4 night dedicated to gaming.

The broadcaster will host the one-off two-hour programme, which aims to provide ‘an intelligent, funny and entertaining look at some of the most influential and iconic video games in history (even the absolutely dreadful ones)’.

Brooker is a keen gamer, once worked in video game journalism, is a fan of the titles LA Noire and Portal 2 and previously hosted a gaming edition of his BBC Screenwipe show.

Staring in the 1980s with the birth of Pac-Man, How Video Games Changed The World will look at the gaming boom in the 90s, the female icon that was Lara Croft and modern phenomenon like Grand Theft Auto V and Call of Duty.

Celebrity gamers such as Jonathan Ross and Dara O’Briain will give their thoughts in the doc, along with industry figures like Will Wright (creator of The Sims), Nolan Bushnell and Allan Alcorn (creators of Pong).

The programme will be executive produced by Annabel Jones and Brooker for Endemol.

Credit: metro.co.uk/gamecentral.

This should be really good. I recommend Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe to you.