DVDVR Message Board

All things Tolkien

odessasteps

In both films, we have gotten one truly transcendent, spectacular scene of Bilbo having a conversation with a CGI character, in a scene straight out of the book.

But god the films have been disjointed messes.  It would probably bother me less if I didn't love The Hobbit so much (the changes in LOTR don't bother me nearly as much.)

I just loved the Desolation of Smaug.  Loved the hell out of it.  I don't remember hardly anything from the book, so I'm shocked and surprised by just about anything.  I have absolutely no problem with the Killi / Tauriel / Legolas stuff.  It helps flesh out some of the nameless dwarfs and there's nothing at all wrong with that.  The only thing I didn't really care for was Gandalf's sidequest.  But the barrel escape, the big bear, and Smaug.  Smaug.  SMAUG.  Just astonishing.

I do hope that Thorin Oakenshield and the Pale Orc get to have their Death Match, um, to the death. 

Went in for a second viewing, fell asleep during the barrels which made the whole thing better. Everything went better than expected.

Gandalf's sidequest is still the best part of the movie imo, I was super awoke when he went to search the Nazgul's tombs. Also, I quietly said "hype..." and gave a thumbs up again after the Gandalf vs Sauron scene.

THAT SHIT WAS SO HYPE!!!!!!!

So I saw this yesterday, and I think I almost hated it. By far the worst of these 5 movies. I spent most of the movie in disbelief of how bad it was. Say what you will about the first Hobbit, but at least it has a proper beginning and end. This one had all the problems of the first and neither of those things. It's just a lot of stuff happening for god-knows-how-long-it-was.

The Dwarves' plan to beat Smaug and the giant molten gold statue was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I thought that the first Hobbit movie sucked majorly, the last third (roughly) of this was some of most painful to watch stuff I have endured. I loved the book, and I even liked the LOTR-movies. But this stuff was face-palm-material through and through for me. Bridging to the LOTR-movies my ass. If they want to bridge over to that stuff, how come Gandalf has to ask Saruman about Sauron in the movies when he already knows Sauron is back? Bridge burnt. Third movie only when it´s on TV, no more money for that crap.

I was watching THE TWO TOWERS on cable last weekend, and it's amazing how shitty a lot the stuff in these movies looks compared to the LOTR films. Obviously, the really nuanced facial stuff they can do with Gollum and Smaug, et al, is a lot better, but the big tableaus, the landscapes, the mob shots, etc. all look way, way worse.

Like, I realize it probably saves a lot of time on set to just put an actor in the mo-cap gimp suit and then paint over him digitally later, but none of the hero orcs in these movies look a third as good as the old fashioned makeup-n-prosthetics orcs from LOTR. I can think of 3 or 4 random orcs from TTT have far more character and look far more frightening than the Defiler.

I saw this last week. I liked it well enough. Never read the books so I had no idea what to expect. Didn't mind the love triangle. Like someone mentioned earlier, it helped to flesh out some of the other characters a bit more. The Gandolf side quest actually was a bit on the boring side, but nothing too hurtful. Bilbo saving everyone's ass so many times was a bit unexpected, but I liked it. The stuff with Smaug was fairly entertaining. Not sure if its a better movie than the first one or not, but it was enjoyable enough that I will likely have a better memory of it a year from now than I did in a similar time span with the first,.

Mostly the fact that Jackson completely misunderstood the basic point of the novel, more or less.

And, I like the movies, but Jackson either really, really, really didn't understand what the book is about, or he didn't give a fuck what the book was about.

Mostly the fact that Jackson completely misunderstood the basic point of the novel, more or less.

And, I like the movies, but Jackson either really, really, really didn't understand what the book is about, or he didn't give a fuck what the book was about.

That it's not the destination, but the journey?

More that is is about how war permanently and completely changes not only you, but the world around you.  And, yeah, he also turned a fairly pastoral story about a journey with some war pieces coming in here and there into an action adventure film series.

• Like 1

More that is is about how war permanently and completely changes not only you, but the world around you.  And, yeah, he also turned a fairly pastoral story about a journey with some war pieces coming in here and there into an action adventure film series.

Maybe we're lucky that the series didn't start production a few years later because we might have ended up with some of it being ham-fisted allegory clearly referencing 9/11.

That reminds me: There was this hilarious petition going around when Towers came out about Jackson "clearly referencing the twin towers" in the title and it being insensitive and the name needing changed.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved the barrel scene. I thought it was hilarious and really well filmed. The Bombur bit was probably the most I've laughed in weeks. I wasn't going to end up getting to see the movie, because it was my wife's turn to take the kid (with the baby we switch off now and I had taken him to see Thor 2) but we hit a last week showing on Sunday and I'm really glad I saw it in the theater, almost just for that one scene since it wouldn't work nearly as well on a TV screen. You people are grumpy. 

• 3 months later...

I watched Desolation of Smaug last night with my fiancee, and I wrote these thoughts on Facebook:

We are nearing the end of this one, and I can't help but to feel that this trilogy is unnecessary. Spreading this story across three films, one cannot help but to notice how drawn out and unnecessary a lot of scenes in this turn out to be. It's basically the Star Wars Prequels all over again

Expanded Thoughts:

Best scenes of both films thus far:

Riddles in the Dark

The Barrels scene

Bilbo's first encounter with Smaug

I think this would be a much more enjoyable film-going experience had Jackson just stuck strictly to the less than 200 page novel and focused on a much tighter story than what we have been given with these three films.

Also, I found myself going "Dammit, Kate" during quite a few Evangeline Lily scenes in this.

I didn't see the second film yet but even when they announced that it was a trilogy I already knew what to expect.  It's a shame.  If they would have gotten rid of all the fluff and cash grab waste of time crap in these films they could have made just one bad ass movie.