DVDVR Message Board

What do you collect?

BrianS81177

I've started collecting Beer glasses. Mostly Samuel Adams glasses, I've got the signature glass, all four of the seasonal brew glasses, and also the White Ale, Black Lager, and Rebel IPA glass.  I've also got a miniature glass mug with the Bud Dry logo (although, it doesn't say Why Ask Why?)

My mother said she's getting something beer related for Christmas, and assured me it wasn't a home brewing kit, and that it's a Irish thing, so I'm assuming it's a Guinness glass. And, my sister works for Outback Steakhouse and is sending me an Outback glass as well as a Stella Artois glass.

Vinyl, mostly. All started when my grandfather passed and my dad took all his Harry Nilsson and jazz vinyl which is now passed on to me. Since I was 18 or so, I've just been adding to it every week. I'll pick up awful compilations in charity shops just because they're 40p and there's one decent track hidden away on there. I've never actually added up how much it's all worth but the first pressings of things like Bowie albums or 7" from the 60s must be worth something in the good condition that they are.

Every now and then, I get a real inkling to go out and buy a ton of games for one of the retro consoles I have lying around. Usually results in me buying things I've already bought for other consoles or realising that I am never, ever going to touch any of them again after the month of retro game passion disappears/

I collect mini-bats from the baseball stadiums (mostly minor league) that I go to. They don't take up a lot of space, they're pretty cheap, and they don't wear out like a piece of clothing or a hat does. My uncle does a lot of woodworking, so he's made my son and I some cool bat racks to hang on the wall to display them. My one OCD is that I only want ones from stadiums that I've been to. A friend went to New York and brought me back a Yankees bat, and I thought "why the heck do I want this, I've never been there!" I accepted it with a smile and a "thank you". I even had mini-bats made for my groomsmen in my wedding, with the date and the phrase "Thanks for going to bat for us" on them, since we're all baseball fans.

I also collect pint glasses, which is getting out of control. My wife's uncle is a bartender, so he's gotten me a lot of them, plus I'll look for cool ones at flea markets and stuff. Running out of room to store them all.

I collect Yugioh cards, though I sold a bunch to finish building a couple of decks to compete in bigger tourneys, and my wife and I collect maneki-neko figurines.

And co-signed on the "Magic cards are selling for HOW MUCH" line.  I've had multiple playsets of fetchlands, Wastelands, and Force of Wills in the past, and now the prices for them are near astronomical.

I think there's something wrong with me because I can never maintain a collection. I go all gung ho on buying stuff and then 6 months down the road, I fall out of it and move on with something else. I didn't used to be like this.

In the last few years I started...

...a coin collection (sold most of them, kept two or three),

...a football (soccer) sticker collection. It was fun opening packs, but at some point I figured it was too much money to spend on worthless pieces of paper, at which point I moved on to...

...hockey and baseball cards. I don't even fucking watch hockey or baseball, but it was the possibility of pulling something rare that kept on reeling me in. Despite not knowing 95% of the players, it was fun and I like the Allen & Ginter sets.

...almost started a vinyl collection this year. I did a lot of research on what speakers and turntable to buy. Ended up buying the speakers, but had turned myself off the idea after that.

...started a comic book collection this year. Obviously bought stuff I wanted to read, but also would go to goodwill stores and buy anything they had. Archie comics for a $1 each. What an idiot. Collection has gone bye bye too.

...have toyed with a stamp collection. Did it when I was a kid, but I don't think I'd stick with it, so in one of my wiser moments, I didn't jump in.

As for stuff I currently collect... starting to build a blu-ray collection, mostly Criterions (this is a second attempt, having dumbly sold 90% of them this summer). I half heartedly buy books I'll never read (have a small collection of old school Penguin covers) I just love second hand book shops, and the feel and smell of old paper. I have a CD collection, but it's just stuff I've amassed over the years. Likewise, I have quite a bit of Lego, but I don't really think of it as a collecting thing. I just buy sets for me.. ahem, my son to build.

Stephen Leacock's On Collecting Things is apt here, particularly the bolded line.

Like most other men I have from time to time been stricken
with a desire to make collections of things.

It began with postage stamps. I had a letter from a friend
of mine who had gone out to South Africa. The letter had
a three-cornered stamp on it, and I thought as soon as
I looked at it, "That's the thing! Stamp collecting! I'll
devote my life to it."

I bought an album with accommodation for the stamps of
all nations, and began collecting right off. For three
days the collection made wonderful progress. It contained:

One Cape of Good Hope stamp.

One one-cent stamp, United States of America.

One two-cent stamp, United States of America.

One five-cent stamp, United States of America.

One ten-cent stamp, United States of America.

After that the collection came to a dead stop. For a
while I used to talk about it rather airily and say I
had one or two rather valuable South African stamps. But
I presently grew tired even of lying about it.

Collecting coins is a thing that I attempt at intervals.

Every time I am given an old half-penny or a Mexican
quarter, I get an idea that if a fellow made a point of
holding on to rarities of that sort, he'd soon have quite
a valuable collection. The first time that I tried it I
was full of enthusiasm, and before long my collection
numbered quite a few articles of vertu. The items were
as follows:

No. 1. Ancient Roman coin. Time of Caligula. This one of
course was the gem of the whole lot; it was given me by
a friend, and that was what started me collecting.

No. 2. Small copper coin. Value one cent. United States
of America. Apparently modern.

No. 3. Small nickel coin. Circular. United States of
America. Value five cents.

No. 4. Small silver coin. Value ten cents. United States
of America.

No. 5. Silver coin. Circular. Value twenty-five cents.
United States of America. Very beautiful.

No. 6. Large silver coin. Circular. Inscription, "One
Dollar." United States of America. Very valuable.

No. 7. Ancient British copper coin. Probably time of
Caractacus. Very dim. Inscription, "Victoria Dei gratia
regina." Very valuable.

No. 8. Silver coin. Evidently French. Inscription, "Funf
Mark. Kaiser Wilhelm."

No. 9. Circular silver coin. Very much defaced. Part of
inscription, "E Pluribus Unum." Probably a Russian rouble,
but quite as likely to be a Japanese yen or a Shanghai
rooster.

That's as far as that collection got. It lasted through
most of the winter and I was getting quite proud of it,
but I took the coins down town one evening to show to a
friend and we spent No. 3, No. 4, No. 5, No. 6, and No.
7 in buying a little dinner for two. After dinner I bought
a yen's worth of cigars and traded the relic of Caligula
for as many hot Scotches as they cared to advance on it.
After that I felt reckless and put No. 2 and No. 8 into
a Children's Hospital poor box.

I tried fossils next. I got two in ten years. Then I
quit.

A friend of mine once showed me a very fine collection
of ancient and curious weapons, and for a time I was full
of that idea. I gathered several interesting specimens,
such as:

No. 1. Old flint-lock musket, used by my grandfather.
(He used it on the farm for years as a crowbar.)

No. 2. Old raw-hide strap, used by my father.

No. 3. Ancient Indian arrowhead, found by myself the very
day after I began collecting. It resembles a three-cornered
stone.

No. 4. Ancient Indian bow, found by myself behind a
sawmill on the second day of collecting. It resembles a
straight stick of elm or oak. It is interesting to think
that this very weapon may have figured in some fierce
scene of savage warfare.

No. 5. Cannibal poniard or straight-handled dagger of
the South Sea Islands. It will give the reader almost a
thrill of horror to learn that this atrocious weapon,
which I bought myself on the third day of collecting,
was actually exposed in a second-hand store as a family
carving-knife. In gazing at it one cannot refrain from
conjuring up the awful scenes it must have witnessed.

I kept this collection for quite a long while until, in
a moment of infatuation, I presented it to a young lady
as a betrothal present. The gift proved too ostentatious
and our relations subsequently ceased to be cordial.

On the whole I am inclined to recommend the beginner to
confine himself to collecting coins. At present I am
myself making a collection of American bills (time of
Taft preferred), a pursuit I find most absorbing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

--Wrestling videos obviously

--wrestling figures

--autographs: baseball cards, wrestling stuff, country music CDs & photos

--country CDs

--ticket stubs from concerts mainly but also some wrestling & baseball games

--refrigerator magnets from cities we have been to

I used to collect baseball cards too but gave up on it in the early 90s when it was way too much to keep up with the business part of it was overtaking the hobby part of it.

Well the obvious is books... Have thousands, including a ton of rare stuff, my wife has started an inventory and we're at around $3000 for the top shelf of one of four shelving units in the living room. ;-) Helps that I went to dozens of conventions and had everything signed that I could get signed... I also got a lot of stuff signed via correspondence, so as an example, I have one of two copies in the world of Arthur Porges' collection The Mirror that is signed. I was including one of his stories in an anthology I was editing and thought, "Might as well ask..." He was very gracious about signing the book and I have a nice letter to accompany it...

Comic books... Damn, what a waste of space as most of what I like can now be purchased in hardcover (or at least trade paper). Despite my claims to have not been a "collector", I have dozens of medium and long boxes full of the stuff. Some of it well worth it, like the complete run of Swamp Thing. Then there's the first 120 issues of F.E.M. Force (what was I thinking?)

Custom Action figures. Of course, just because they won't make a particular figure, I want it! Unfortunately for my wallet I have a hook-up in the Philippines who does great work... So, rather than do without luminaries such as the Melter, the Executioner and the Enchantress and the whole of the Serpent Society, I have bit the bullet and paid an average of $75 each for such things. I must admit that the satisfaction of looking up at a display case filled with all the male members and a few of the female members of the Serpent Society is worth the expense as is looking up at my figure of Tiger Shark (who should be on the Masters of Evil shelf, but is above my desk because it is just so cool...

Cards. Yeah, I used to own a sportscard store in Seattle, so it goes without saying that I have a ton. I keep meaning to whittle it down to one set per year from 1975 to 2010 and my individual player files, but never get around to it. I may be the only person that has a complete file of cards of Joe Adcock and Norm Cash... At least Adcock's 1952 Topps is worth something...

Thankfully, I think that's pretty much it... I don't know if having some three dozen tin robots (mostly repros) counts, but there's that, too... I am such a nerd.

John,

Post some pics of these will you.

Custom Action figures. Of course, just because they won't make a particular figure, I want it! Unfortunately for my wallet I have a hook-up in the Philippines who does great work... So, rather than do without luminaries such as the Melter, the Executioner and the Enchantress and the whole of the Serpent Society, I have bit the bullet and paid an average of $75 each for such things. I must admit that the satisfaction of looking up at a display case filled with all the male members and a few of the female members of the Serpent Society is worth the expense as is looking up at my figure of Tiger Shark (who should be on the Masters of Evil shelf, but is above my desk because it is just so cool...

20+ years agp, while I was waiting for my military discharge paperwork to go through, I would stop by the Base Exchange and pick up some comics. Thinking I would start a collection. I have those same 30 books to this day and never picked up another since.

Currently, while I am waiting for a job to come through, I have collected dust.

John,

Post some pics of these will you.

Okay, I'll give it a try...$_57.JPG

Hell, I'm going to have to get another digital camera. The pics off the scanner are just too blurry and I can't resist showing this stuff off. ;)

I'm currently awaiting figures of the original (Lev Gleason) Daredevil, the Hangman from MLJ Comics and Timely's The Thunderer*.

I just got an unexpected royalty check, so I should probably e-mail my guy in the Philippines and figure out what to have him tackle next... I'm thinking that Blackjack and the Web from MLJ Comics and a couple more Serpent Society figs. maybe Black Racer and Fer-de-Lance as the current collection is pretty much lacking the ladies, (all the male members except Cottonmouth and only one (Diamondback) female). Yep, there goes $300...

* Yeah, I know, he only appeared in a couple of issues and just ran around and yelled a lot, but he did have a pretty cool costume...

• 4 weeks later...

I've been through a lot of collecting phases, like most of you, wrestling VHS/DVD, comic books, football cards, electric guitars, basses, and amps.  At this point I basically only have two collections to speak of, my Criterion Blu-Rays and whiskies.

This is a crosspost from the Criterion thread in the Movies forum:

i-WHFbJdM-L.jpg

Whiskey really took over the last few years.  It's been my primary social hobby.  I've started a local whiskey club that has grown to 30 members, and I travel out of state for events somewhat regularly.  I initially started collecting single malts but the cost was pretty crazy, so the financial incentive combined with some other factors pushed me toward bourbon and other American whiskies.  This isn't current, or everything, but here's some of what I've got.

Bunker-4-L.jpg

Bunker-5-L.jpg

Bunker-6-L.jpg

Bunker-7-L.jpg

Bunker-8-L.jpg

Bunker-10-L.jpg

Bunker-11-L.jpg

Bunker-12-L.jpg

• Like 1

I'm trying to collect a Legion of Primes.  Having kids put a stop to that though.  I'll eventually start back up, but I've been looking around and some are hard to find.

I've only got Cybertron Prime and Armada Prime.  So I got a way to go.

Considering there's like, 50 different Prime molds, yeah...

• 3 weeks later...

Was talking to a guy on Twitter - he said there are two of some card in that lot and one in my land lot that are apparently used in decks together and are ridiculously popular.  I wish I still had my dual lands - I sold the 20 or so I had about seven years ago, and this same dude on Twitter said they go for about $100 a pop now.

Yeah, the blue rare lot you put up is worth so much because of the 2x Show and Tell and some cards that are getting popular in commander, which is the major driving force in card prices being absolutely absurd right now. City of Traitors is the land that is helping you out. 

I guess when I posted originally, I didn't think about my magic cards because I only play about once or twice a year at this point, but with modern card pricing, it's probably pretty extensive. I have a full set of power, 8 mana drains, 4 shops, 4 bazaars, all the blue duals and fetchlands. I can build pretty much any vintage deck. 

Might as well ask this...

I have a Judge Dredd mag from 2002 with a free Magic starter level sampler pack still attached to the cover. I know nothing at all about this stuff, and I don't imagine it's worth anything. But I'm curious to open it. So, my question is... is it worth anything unopened? If I open it, is there likely to be anything that's worth anything inside?

Might as well ask this...

I have a Judge Dredd mag from 2002 with a free Magic starter level sampler pack still attached to the cover. I know nothing at all about this stuff, and I don't imagine it's worth anything. But I'm curious to open it. So, my question is... is it worth anything unopened? If I open it, is there likely to be anything that's worth anything inside?

The only pack of Magic cards worth anything unopened is a pack of Beta. Seriously. People will buy unopened packs of Beta that are worth gobs of money more than anything that could be inside, even if it was a piece of the Power 9. Whatever is attached to your Judge Dredd mag is not a pack of Beta. :)

Hasbro WWF figures. The only ones I'm missing are the 2nd Bushwackers (because I hate the Bushwackers and I begrudge buying a 2nd set with lighter outfits and a hat). But since my last move they're just sitting in a box in a cupboard. I don't see the point in selling them unless it's for stupid money, which it won't be.