DVDVR Message Board

Ryback/Punk Nonsense

Craig H

Okay, so they built Ryback up and he jobbed out to The Shield and never got revenge. At the same time, do The Shield become what they became without taking out Ryback? I would say no. And who is more valuable to the WWE? The Shield or Ryback? The Shield, in a walk. They've torn the house down for a year.

They're a mid card act having good matches. They're no more or less valuable than anyone else on the roster and far less valuable than Ryback could have been.

Okay, so they built Ryback up and he jobbed out to The Shield and never got revenge. At the same time, do The Shield become what they became without taking out Ryback? I would say no. And who is more valuable to the WWE? The Shield or Ryback? The Shield, in a walk. They've torn the house down for a year.

They're a mid card act having good matches. They're no more or less valuable than anyone else on the roster and far less valuable than Ryback could have been.

I'm sorry, but this is just bullshit. Any of the 3 can become legit main event players. Hell, the 3 as a GROUP can be a main event player. You gain 3 really good upper midcard players with upside at the expense of a guy who was going down a path that is completely reliant on two things. A: That the fans would buy the Goldberg push a second time without getting tired of it and B: That even if the fans don't get tired of it, WWE wouldn't fuck it up a month or two down the line. They might botch the SHIELD down the line too, but in ring work counts for something. A great wrestler can always have a great match and remind people why they care about them.

• Like 1

I would say The Shield already are a Main Event act, considering they've closed out Raw and Smackdown about 1,000,000 times since they debuted. This included an 11-on-3 match they were put into. And like someone else said, everyone they've gone up against has ended up more over than they were before they got at The Shield. The Daniel Bryan push started when he was the first guy to solve their puzzle and get a win. The Rhodes Boys are the other great example.

Ryback needs people to look good. The Shield make people look good, even when they have a .850 winning percentage.

• Like 1

I just think it's a moot point, for the same reasons I said way back before the Punk/Ryback HIAC title match.  There was no way in fuck Vince was going to put the belt on Ryback because Ryback couldn't work at the level Vince wants/needs his main event guys to hit.  It was never going to happen.

I just think it's a moot point, for the same reasons I said way back before the Punk/Ryback HIAC title match. There was no way in fuck Vince was going to put the belt on Ryback because Ryback couldn't work at the level Vince wants/needs his main event guys to hit. It was never going to happen.

And thus the Roman Reigns fantasy booking dies a death.

Could you imagine how shit Ryback/Rock would have been?  Yikes.  Also, LOL at the idea that Punk's title reign failed.  Just because he wasn't at the top of the card doesn't mean the actual paying fucking audience didn't care.  When he turned heel he was getting the biggest heel reactions on Raw and the biggest face pops on PPV. He is more of made guy than just about anyone over the last 10 years, and to think that Ryback ever had a chance of getting to that point is laughable. 

You are doing a better job of undervaluing everyone else than you are of propping up Ryback.  The Shield don't have a ceiling.  Rollins might, but Ambrose and Reigns could become just about anything.

Could you imagine how shit Ryback/Rock would have been? Yikes. Also, LOL at the idea that Punk's title reign failed. Just because he wasn't at the top of the card doesn't mean the actual paying fucking audience didn't care. When he turned heel he was getting the biggest heel reactions on Raw and the biggest face pops on PPV. He is more of made guy than just about anyone over the last 10 years and to think that Ryback ever had a chance of turning into that is laughable.

You are doing a better job of undervaluing everyone else than you are of propping up Ryback. The Shield don't have a ceiling. Rollins might, but Ambrose and Reigns could become just about anything.

Did probably more harm to the belt than anything else in the last five years.

So then why are you judging his work based of something you've never seen?

He was a solid enough in ring performer in development, and he's had a year of working with Bryan, Rollins, Ambrose, and whoever else under his belt, and he's proven to be just as good as the other 2 in his stable in tag settings. I see no reason to think he can't hold it over in singles competition.

Could you imagine how shit Ryback/Rock would have been? Yikes. Also, LOL at the idea that Punk's title reign failed. Just because he wasn't at the top of the card doesn't mean the actual paying fucking audience didn't care. When he turned heel he was getting the biggest heel reactions on Raw and the biggest face pops on PPV. He is more of made guy than just about anyone over the last 10 years and to think that Ryback ever had a chance of turning into that is laughable.

You are doing a better job of undervaluing everyone else than you are of propping up Ryback. The Shield don't have a ceiling. Rollins might, but Ambrose and Reigns could become just about anything.

That's some Gonzalez level bullshit.

• Like 2

So then why are you judging his work based of something you've never seen?

He was a solid enough in ring performer in development, and he's had a year of working with Bryan, Rollins, Ambrose, and whoever else under his belt, and he's proven to be just as good as the other 2 in his stable in tag settings. I see no reason to think he can't hold it over in singles competition.

He's easily the worst guy in every Shield match, doesn't really know how to sell and the singles matches I've seen he's looked lost. He's just a bland dude with a big scream and a spear. Like an unimpressive Goldberg.

• Like 1

That's some Gonzalez level bullshit.

Not really. He brought the belt down to his level. He took the main event title and made it a mid card one. You can blame the booking all you want, but it was as unmemorable a title reign as you'll ever see. He felt like a midcard guy doing midcard things with a midcard belt.

• Like 1

He stunk so bad in that first Hell in a Cell match. Jericho is the best in the world at taunting so maybe he could've wrung a little more out of fire extinguishers and blind charging, but I doubt it. 

I'm probably underrating Ryback a bit. He's not a total stiff. He's tons better than Khali. But he's like 1/10th as good as Show or Mark Henry.

Reigns rules. That Reigns/Bryan solo match from a little bit ago was awesome. I mean, I'm pretty sure Bryan could get a great match out of me but the dude just hasn't had the singles exposure. But he's been in more good matches this year than pretty much anyone and he was a major part in all of those matches. And it's not just the six-man stuff. He and Rollins had a bunch of awesome tag matches together, too -- including the stuff with The Rhodes Boys, which are MOTY candidates and maybe even MOTD ones, to boot.