DVDVR Message Board

Ryback/Punk Nonsense

Craig H

I'm gonna run out of likes with all these points being raised....

Part of my problem with WWE these days is so many guys get the title. Nothing wrong with a guy feuding with another across PPVs and the belt not changing hands.

It may be apples to oranges, but if they booked the 80's this way, Hogan would have 30 reigns, and JYD and Jake Roberts would both have had a few hands with the belt.

I agree with the the calls that Ryback should've taken the title.

I think the biggest mistake they made was putting him in that program in the first place, with no intention of having him win because of how close they were to Punk/Rock and Mania.

Also valid. Ryback beating Punk at Mania would have been fine too. As long as the title was involved.

Yeah, they seemed to have absolutely no direction for Ryback when they booked him against Punk. I don't think Ryback should have won the title right away, but a chase through Wrestlemania would have been great. The only problem was that the Rock announcing he would be WWE champion the day after beating Cena pretty much torpedoed that. There's no reason at all for Rock to hold the title, much like there's been no reason for Lesnar to hold the title. It's like the Rock completely fucked up the booking.

Some monsters are going to be Berserker and Warlord, and some of them are going to be Yokozuna and Goldberg.

Ryback is our Warlord. I'm pretty ok with that.

The Warlord had a staff with a W and a Phantom of the Opera mask. Ryback has nothing on that.

I didn't say he was a good Warlord

• Like 1

The possible Warrior spot you guys are saying Ryback should have is reserved for Roman Reigns and Big E Langston, thank you.

"Ryback can't work 15 minute main events" but Luther Reigns can.

Big E is too small to achieve anything beyond where he is. He's like a jacked up Taz without the talent.

I think you're adorable.

Some monsters are going to be Berserker and Warlord, and some of them are going to be Yokozuna and Goldberg.

Ryback is our Warlord. I'm pretty ok with that.

The Warlord had a staff with a W and a Phantom of the Opera mask. Ryback has nothing on that.

I didn't say he was a good Warlord

If that's the case, why didn't you say Barbarian? 

I think the biggest problem with the way Ryback was handled was that, for seemingly no reason, they hotshotted him into the main event, especially at a time when that scene was reasonably full. Then, instead of following through, he got the Lex Luger treatment.(failing to strike when the iron was at its hottest) That, also g with no follow up plan, is why he working his way into a permanent spot right in the middle.

I think the biggest problem with the way Ryback was handled was that, for seemingly no reason, they hotshotted him into the main event

No reason? NO REASON!? One of their biggest stars was going to be out of action for awhile, and they needed to install someone else into that program. I think that's a good enough reason to put Ryback in that position during that time period.

Personally, I believe someone had it in for Ryback. So instead of having Cena lose the feud to Punk before the Rumble, they decided to instead feed Ryback to Punk killing his momentum on purpose.  

Ryback:

1) Everyone is overestimating his overness. The dude got killed with "Goldberg" chants when he was dropping jobbers on their spines. It took him a really long time to get over. A dude like him who just throttles dudes should get over in about one show. It didn't. Maybe some of that was because of smart marks but dudes like that stopped chanting Husky Harris in about two weeks after the Wyatt Family debuted. That's pretty much because the Wyatt Family is really great and Ryback, from the start, was pretty much "We are ramming this guy down your throat." There wasn't anything organic about it.

It was clear when the Nexus debuted they had plans for him. And that would have worked -- he was their insane monster who could just crush dudes who would eventually get over and turn on Wade. That's an organic push. But "Dude shows up out of nowhere, we have no idea what the hell his name means, he doesn't talk or anything and beats up jobbers" isn't going to work these days.

2) Do we really want another Ultimate Warrior or Goldberg? You guys have seen Ultimate Warrior matches, right? I mean, I love his promos and everything BECAUSE THEY ARE INSANE AND RIDICULOUS. I don't like them because they're good. The dude sucked -- he sucked in a marvelous way, but he was terrible. Goldberg had... what, three or four good matches? And once his streak died, he was pretty much worthless. We don't really need that.

3) Okay, so Ryback beats Punk. Then what happens? He still can't work a match unless someone walks him through it. He wasn't going to stick. Does the WWE immediately start outdrawing the NFL or whatever? No. Nothing changes. What we have right now -- warts and all -- is infinitely better than Ryback Beats Dudes For A While.

4) There are only so many guys you can have in main event spots on a show. Right now, those dudes are: Cena, Orton, Bryan, Punk, The Shield, The Rhodes Boys and kinda sorta the other tag guys and The Wyatt Family. Each and every single one of those guys is better than Ryback and it's not even close. If Ryback has a strong push right now, guess what? That's less time for good matches and more time for Ryback to get gassed in about eight minutes.

5) I actually like the potential of Rybaxel.

• Like 1

Ryback:

1) Everyone is overestimating his overness. The dude got killed with "Goldberg" chants when he was dropping jobbers on their spines. It took him a really long time to get over. A dude like him who just throttles dudes should get over in about one show. It didn't. Maybe some of that was because of smart marks but dudes like that stopped chanting Husky Harris in about two weeks after the Wyatt Family debuted. That's pretty much because the Wyatt Family is really great and Ryback, from the start, was pretty much "We are ramming this guy down your throat." There wasn't anything organic about it.

It was clear when the Nexus debuted they had plans for him. And that would have worked -- he was their insane monster who could just crush dudes who would eventually get over and turn on Wade. That's an organic push. But "Dude shows up out of nowhere, we have no idea what the hell his name means, he doesn't talk or anything and beats up jobbers" isn't going to work these days.

2) Do we really want another Ultimate Warrior or Goldberg? You guys have seen Ultimate Warrior matches, right? I mean, I love his promos and everything BECAUSE THEY ARE INSANE AND RIDICULOUS. I don't like them because they're good. The dude sucked -- he sucked in a marvelous way, but he was terrible. Goldberg had... what, three or four good matches? And once his streak died, he was pretty much worthless. We don't really need that.

3) Okay, so Ryback beats Punk. Then what happens? He still can't work a match unless someone walks him through it. He wasn't going to stick. Does the WWE immediately start outdrawing the NFL or whatever? No. Nothing changes. What we have right now -- warts and all -- is infinitely better than Ryback Beats Dudes For A While.

4) There are only so many guys you can have in main event spots on a show. Right now, those dudes are: Cena, Orton, Bryan, Punk, The Shield, The Rhodes Boys and kinda sorta the other tag guys and The Wyatt Family. Each and every single one of those guys is better than Ryback and it's not even close. If Ryback has a strong push right now, guess what? That's less time for good matches and more time for Ryback to get gassed in about eight minutes.

5) I actually like the potential of Rybaxel.

All of this post is wrong

1) He was over. He was killing jobbers for almost a year, and people dug it. He confronted Punk backstage and people went nuts. Everything built well until they had to stick with Punk.

2) Yes. The roster is as interchangeable and boring as it has ever been. Nobody actually kicks ass, they all talk a lot and it's dull. A guy who does nothing like that and fucks people up would be a change of pace.

3) People walk him through matches, he gets better. Like Goldberg.

4) All of those dudes are interchangeable, none of them have any mystique. There's no point to the Wyatts, the Shield are just "guys who wrestle matches" now, Rhodeses will never be anything beyond what they are. Cena and Orton are opposite sides of the same coin, Bryan and Punk are opposite sides of another coin. They're all fucking dull however many good matches they have.

Nobody is exciting, nobody is different, nobody just fucks people up. That's what Ryback could do and what he should have done. CM Punk was a failed experiment, so go the other way, see if people respond to Ryback.

• Like 1

Ryback was over (not as over as Bryan, that's absurd) but there was no way Vince was putting the belt pin someone that can't work a compelling 15 minute match, and Ryback damn sure couldn't then. Hell, only Bryan, Cena and maybe Punk have gotten compelling matches from him even now.

He had a good match with Show last month. His team with Axel is surprisingly decent as well.

I agree with the the calls that Ryback should've taken the title.

I think the biggest mistake they made was putting him in that program in the first place, with no intention of having him win because of how close they were to Punk/Rock and Mania.

Pretty much this. Ryback was over, but they threw him into the title picture too early with no real intention of going forward with a title win. This and the losses to Punk killed a lot of his momentum. The heel on Cena further killed any chances at Ryback becoming anything.

• Like 1

Not dissing the guy, be it should've been obvious that Ryback was a guy that one be a one main-event-push kind of guy. I just don't see how anyone could've expected a guy who built his whole gimmick/moveset on "top star food" to have momentum to last once he feuded with a top guy.

Not dissing the guy, be it should've been obvious that Ryback was a guy that one be a one main-event-push kind of guy. I just don't see how anyone could've expected a guy who built his whole gimmick/moveset on "top star food" to have momentum to last once he feuded with a top guy.

Imagine Goldberg jobbed to Hogan and fucked off? Or Batista lost to Triple H and fucked off?

Ryback isn't liked by the people in the back. You can say "Ryback would have made them Billions of dollars", and they'll tell you "Tough shit, we'll make our billions some other way". This isn't the fucking 80's, and 90's where if you got yourself over big time you can then walk up to Vince and tell him "Give me a fucking raise, or else I'm walking my ass to Turner tomorrow". Today if you come in with a Warrior attitude, and threaten Vince they'll just laugh at your ass, and tell you "Good luck".

Vince, Hunter, and Steph don't want to do business with Ryback for their own personal reasons(and they're probably good reasons). It's that simple.

As Ryback won a single PPV match? Jobber matches aside, when has Ryback won?

He got wasted in that pointless Cena feud post-Mania. He had a point in his turn, throughout the feud Cena never did pin him (just AA'd him through various objects), and he ended up doing nothing in the Punk-Heyman feud. I know people are not valued as much today by WWE but he had a chant, a finisher and was over. Why throw that away?

Am I the only one that had hoped the Punk-Ryback & Heyman match was going to consist of Heyman somehow getting locked in the cell with both of them and running around trying to dodge Punk while Ryback has to keep protecting Paul? So when Ryback lost inevitably he was not just straight up losing, he got caught trying to save Heyman?

Imagine Goldberg jobbed to Hogan and fucked off? Or Batista lost to Triple H and fucked off?

Ryback wasn't remotely as over as either guy.

Ryback wasn't remotely as over as either guy.

He wasn't booked remotely as well as either guy, but he was over and he could have been a big star.