DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

895. "Then, in a segment that was mind blowing, Booker T was out there talking about his favorite moment of himself on Raw. He said the match with Buff Bagwell. The played clips of Scott Hudson announcing (in his first and last Raw appearance) that match in Tacoma that was so bad and received even worse that Vince did a 180 the next day, canceling every single plan he’d made and that poor Live Events department had to completely retool the entire schedule for the next few months and change all advertising. I’ll bet there was never a match in history, that cost more people their jobs in the industry because no match ever single-handedly changed the business like that one." - (WON 2012-06-18)

So now with the benefit of hindsight, do we think Vince made the right decision here in cancelling the WWF version of WCW or do we think this was a knee-jerk reaction and Vince should have carried on with the original plans?

If he was willing to put that much trust in Buff Bagwell in the first place, it's better he killed it

Pretty sure I remember hearing that the reaction Buff got from the crowd when Vince was listing the various WCW stars is what influenced this.So it's all our fault.
  • Like 1

Pretty sure I remember hearing that the reaction Buff got from the crowd when Vince was listing the various WCW stars is what influenced this.So it's all our fault.

That Vince quoting segmant was amazing at the time.

I died reading this line in this week's Observer about the main event of ROH's Night of Hoopla:

• Main event was a good match with Elgin & Whitmer & MsChif over ACH & Thomas & Athena, although the guys sold for the women as equals, which is the new indie thing that CHIKARA really started with Sara Del Rey and using the Japanese women in that role, but a lot of people find it to be bullshit.

Not good or bad, not unbelievable just BULLSHIT.

• Like 1

Also from this week's Observer:

In 1987, Hellwig was to debut with New Japan Pro Wrestling under the name Big Van Vader (I actually had the original sketches for the Big Van Vader character, who was a bodybuilder with hair like Hellwig), but when he instead signed with WWF, Leon White got the Vader gimmick.

Is this common knowledge? I never heard this before!

Also from this week's Observer:

Is this common knowledge? I never heard this before!

Pretty much. It was repeated so much that it looped around and people thought it was a smark fan urban myth. Honestly surprised you never heard it before.

•  which is the new indie thing that CHIKARA really started with Sara Del Rey and using the Japanese women in that role,

Heh, this was hardly a new thing when Chikara started doing it. At best they maybe helped popularize it a bit but the intergender stuff has been a regular indy staple in other pockets of the country going back years. 

Relevos AAA motherfuckers. 2 teams consisting of a man, a woman, an exotico, and a mini and everyone's fighting everyone else. Plus AAAs mixed tag titles where you just fight the other team, no man/man vs woman/woman rules

• Like 1

Yeah tromtaker is right - AAA may not have been the first company to do man vs woman deal but their Relevos AAA match was the first type of match where everyone was treated as equals. I don't think Quack would even dispute this as he's a huge Lucha Libre fan and I even sent him video of various Relevos AAA matches when Chikara was just starting out.