DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

That Kevin Von Erich/Dr. Death story was great.

Also, when asking about Hunico coming back, Bryan asked Dave about a comment TJ Wilson made on Twitter, possibly about Dave, who brushed it off. Any idea what this was about?

It was a call-back to an off-hand comment Dave made last week on one of the shows.

Apparently Dave wrote, way back when, that Tyson Kidd was going to be out of action until September of this year. Kidd flipped out about it on Twitter, and posted a really nasty Tweet targeting Dave and how he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Fast-forward to last week, and Tyson Kidd is making his return from injury... in September.

Free Observer Radio today.

Listen to BIG Dave absolutely BURY the Diva's title, AJ Lee, Sable, Debra, Jillian Hall and the collective childhood dream of all female wrestling fans.

It's fun for the whole family!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or agreeing, but I couldn't agree more with Metlzer on that issue.  Can't take AJ Lee seriously at all.  She's a mark.

• Like 1

Free Observer Radio today.

Listen to BIG Dave absolutely BURY the Diva's title, AJ Lee, Sable, Debra, Jillian Hall and the collective childhood dream of all female wrestling fans.

It's fun for the whole family!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or agreeing, but I couldn't agree more with Metlzer on that issue.  Can't take AJ Lee seriously at all.  She's a mark.

I don't normally listen but this got me, great hype. Gotta remember to like both posts when I can

More old men that smell of piss, fear, and old bones:

Posted Image

BURNBURNBURNBURNBURNBURNBURN

I'd rather follow the blazing mark off a cliff than live another lifetime with that tape scrounging dessicated old maester blathering on about how the business is cyclical.  So are cicadas FUCK YOU!

• Like 2

Can't take AJ Lee seriously at all.  She's a mark.

Aren't most people in wrestling marks though? I mean, Shawn Michaels is a big mark. Didn't stop him from being a great performer. I don't think there's a video of Shawn Michaels meeting Lita & breaking down into tears or getting his title wins tattooed on his body but whatever.

• Like 1

Yeah but I bet if Ric Flair walked into the door after Shawn Michaels took that photo of him in the suit holding the Flair PWI, he would have turned into a 13-year-old girl. People who shit on people because they consider them marks are what is wrong with professional wrestling. Coincidentally, these are also the same people who probably wear sports jerseys.

• Like 5

Coincidentally, these are also the same people who probably wear sports jerseys.

Wearing jerseys should not be allowed past high school, and it should only be allowed in high school if you're wearing your own jersey to class on game days.

Do not wear another man's jersey. Ever. 

*This rule does not apply to women

I wonder when JBL or Lawler will tell A.J. that the championships are just props.

Championships are acknowledgements of a person's effort. If someone received an employee of the month and got the perks that went with it, I bet they'd be just as overjoyed as she is. Half the people on this board would kill for having the recognition of being a fictional champion in a wrestling promotion.

• Like 2

7-8-96 Observer

Bill Irwin debuted as "The Goon," doing a hockey player gimmick with hockey organ music coming to the ring. Jim Neidhart debuted as Who? from Who Knows Where? wearing an Assassin mask. Since he did a job for Savio Vega in his debut, Who knows what plans are in store for him?

I wish I ask had asked this question when I listened to the show so it would be fresh in my mind.

Now - I have rarely listened to the shows but does Dave always parse every fucking word that much?

There were several times where he would fight with Bryan over something for like 2 minutes when it was obvious what Bryan meant. (this is where I am wishing I had posted it right away since I am blanking on the exact context).

There were several times where he would fight with Bryan over something for like 2 minutes when it was obvious what Bryan meant. (this is where I am wishing I had posted it right away since I am blanking on the exact context).

I don't know the "several times" to which you're referring but the Raw recap got sidetracked for like 3 minutes right off the bat because Bryan kept saying Christian "got beaten down" by the Shield to which Dave kept stressing "a PHANTOM beatdown" because we didn't actually see it. I only remember it because I, too, got extremely annoyed that Dave kept harping on this stupid point.

The only only other instance where I remember him being a goofy stickler is when they were discussing the storied lineage of the WWE Divas title - a title which was unified with the Women's Title which you'd think a "renowned wrestling historian" would remember - and when Bryan brought up stuff like Debra holding it, Dave argued with him that the title only dates back to 2008.

Speaking of which, I tried to avoid commenting on the AJ thing so all I'll say is she's not the first woman to take winning the Women's title very seriously. I remember several of them crying (Kelly, Trish, Beth) when they won so she's hardly the first to take it quite seriously. Yeah, there was the Russo-rific era when they gave it out in Evening Gown matches but they also had the IC title change hands in a Good Housekeeping Match so I'd hardly hold that era against it.

The whole talking point of "It's a fake belt that they give you" is stupid, though. I just listened to Austin's podcast with Kevin Nash and they both talked about how they sat in their hotel rooms staring at the World title after they won it. I'm not saying the prestige is the same but as Bryan tried to point out, if you're a little girl who grew up idolizing Lita and Trish, winning the Divas/Women's belt is pretty much the equivalent. 

• Like 2

I wish I ask had asked this question when I listened to the show so it would be fresh in my mind.

Now - I have rarely listened to the shows but does Dave always parse every fucking word that much?

It's the random side bullshit that got me to stop subscribing. 

Yes. That show isn't for people that get annoyed by pointless semantic arguments. He takes almost everything literally. Dropped my subscription a while ago but still check out the free shows since it is easier in smaller doses. Can get enough wrestling talk for the week with that and the Austin show and the occasional free torch show.

I had to stop listening to it because the constant "ya know?" drove me crazy. I swear he one time had a "sentence" that was "Ya know, I mean, ya know?" Once you notice it, you can't unhear it. Much like once you notice Bret Hart never closes his mouth when wrestling, you can't unsee it.

Meltzer is terrible at writing & terrible at speaking. So he has a newsletter & a podcast. MAKES SENSE! The writing part, an editor could fix...but he doesn't seem to want to go that route either.

Can't take AJ Lee seriously at all.  She's a mark.

Aren't most people in wrestling marks though? I mean, Shawn Michaels is a big mark. Didn't stop him from being a great performer. I don't think there's a video of Shawn Michaels meeting Lita & breaking down into tears or getting his title wins tattooed on his body but whatever.

That video of AJ meeting Lita, which feels like it was from about three years ago, is precisely what killed AJ in my head.  I just don't get it.  I'm not into her, can't suspend disbelief in any way, she just doesn't do it for me.  Not a woman-hater here.  Perhaps its a function of my age, as I'm 40 now.  But to me, AJ is that 12-yr old girl who was crying because she met Lita at the aut contograph signing.  

• Like 1