DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/05/more-star-wars-episode-vii-plot-and-character-details-open-casting-call-for-young-leads-upcoming

So, this clears up nothing while bringing up hundreds of additional questions. So are the Skywalker/Solo children going to be discarded or are they just not the focus of the new trilogy?  Are these new characters Jedi?  How much will Han, Leia, and Luke factor in to the next trilogy?  They aren't exactly spring chickens and having them around would be nice, but I don't know if I want to see Mark Hamil's old ass come episode IX trying to swing a lightsaber.  I swear they are just teasing me with these vague ass leaks.

"He isn't exactly a spring chicken and having him around would be nice, but I don't know if I want to see Alec Guinness' old ass come episode VI trying to swing a lightsaber" - Supremebve's 1970's counterpart

Mark Hamil is exactly as old as Alec Guinness was when he made Star Wars.  Neat!

"He isn't exactly a spring chicken and having him around would be nice, but I don't know if I want to see Alec Guinness' old ass come episode VI trying to swing a lightsaber" - Supremebve's 1970's counterpart

Mark Hamil is exactly as old as Alec Guinness was when he made Star Wars.  Neat!

He is exactly how old Alec Guinness was then, but basically had to do the physical equivalent of swinging his cane.  If they kill him off in Episode VII fine, but are they going to kill off all three of them?  Harrison Ford is already over 70, and Carrie Fisher isn't getting any saner.  I'm finally starting to think this is going to disappoint, but I'm still hopeful that they'll get it right.

Wait...How is JJ an arrogant jerk? I thought he was the one who said that 2015 was unrealistic and that the release date should be pushed back, only for Disney to push back and say it's 2015 or bust.

I get that feeling whenever I hear him talk. A guy like Lindelof quit twitter because he couldn't take the negative stuff. JJ seems like a guy who could care less about that stuff and just counts his money. I'm not hating on that attitude in general, I just don't want that guy deciding the future of Star Wars.

Well at least they gave Abrams 6-7 extra months to get the movie done.  But I find it funny that someones dislike for Abrams is because he doesn't want to post on twitter.  When in fact that should be a good thing he doesn't want to waste time on such a dumb part of social media.

• Like 1

Reading is a skill. I could give 2 shits if he's on twitter. I just don't get the feeling he gives a fuck what people think about say the ending to Lost or the ending to Fringe. I'd rather the guy making Star Wars Ep7 not be totally tone deaf to fan opinion.

All this being said I thought he did a great job with Star Trek. Haven't seen the 2nd one yet. I'm not a Star Trek guy though so I have no idea if he pleased the hardcore fans with those movies.

Abrams had nothing to do with either of those endings, so I'm not sure why he'd be losing sleep over fan reaction to them.

Maybe the fact that his name is attached to them? If that's me I am deeply invested in making sure those shows don't end badly.Getting away from the JJ talk here. Will and should Mara Jade be in this movie? I kind kind of doubt she's included but there has been talk of Ben Skywalker. I think she's a great character with a very interesting backstory. I'd put her in. I'd also make an animated Thrawn movie between ep7 & 8 to flesh out her origin.

Abrams had nothing to do with either of those endings, so I'm not sure why he'd be losing sleep over fan reaction to them.

Maybe the fact that his name is attached to them? If that's me I am deeply invested in making sure those shows don't end badly.
I understand how you might think that, but that's really not how the production game works.Do you think Steven Spielberg has ever wasted a second of his time fretting over the reviews for TERRA NOVA? Or FALLING SKIES? Or any of the other shit shows he's produced over the years?These guys put their names on a ton of shows. But if they're not deeply involved in the day-to-day running of the show, they could really care less beyond whether they stay on the air and keep the checks coming in. They don't see the quality of the show as a reflection on themselves at all.Abrams had almost nothing to do with LOST after the pilot. If anything, he probably got too much credit for the show, considering how quickly he bolted and left it in the hands of Lindelof. I think he has one co-writing credit in season 3, and that's it.He was actually more involved with FRINGE in the earlygoing, but even then he checked out before the last few seasons. Direct all hate to J.H. Wyman.

Wait a minute, open casting call in London in 2 weeks? I have no acting experience whatsoever, but I did promise my 12 year old self that if they ever made episode 7 I should do everything in my power to at least get a cameo...

George Lazenby had no acting experience before On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and he lied to the filmmakers in order to get an auditio.  And they gave him the lead to play James Bond.  You should give it a shot.  

Came to the sudden realization yesterday about something that will truly be noticably weird about Episodes 7-9...

http://youtu.be/QpojedQlqfU

Not having this open the films.

Maybe it's because the first time I saw Star Wars I saw it on The Disney Channel, but I've never associated Star Wars with FOX.

But they still opened with the Fox Fanfare, no? At the premeire for Episode 1, that got a huge pop all by itself.

• Like 1

Abrams had almost nothing to do with LOST after the pilot.

Yes, but my understanding is that it was during the pilot that the came up with the plan (so to speak) of "Let's just film a bunch of wacky, weird stuff, and we'll figure out why it's happening later."So I think it's fair to give Abrams some of the blame for the problems with Lost. Am I going to blame him for the fact that they were still throwing goofy new never-explained shit at the screen midway through the last season? Not exactly. But that's the model he came up with, so he doesn't get off completely innocent.